My first quilting request......nothing like turning up the fire.

My wife's co-worker asked me to quilt this baby quilt for her. I stressed to her that I haven't spent much time on my long-arm and have now only quilted one officially (the flag). Once again I have it planned in my head or I think I do anyhow. She doesn't want the embroidered blocks quilted, nor do I wish to even consider, plus I think it would take away from the embroidery. I was thinking about SID the blocks and borders; Curved cross hatching the print blocks, and scales on the borders :huh:

One of the issues I noticed right off the bat is that I might not have but 1-2" of backing on each side.

8465456200_e3a16df74b.jpg
Quilting request by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

James

Cute embroidery!  I usually outline the embroidery like I would applique, then do a fill in the background, or just echo the design.  Keeps the blocks from being poofy and I try to keep a similar density to the quilting throughout the quilt.  If you thread match the background, it doesn't seem to take away from the embroidery.  You don't really notice it.  The alternate blocks are busy fabric so not much quilting will show, but you do have a lot of plain area that will show the quilting nicely!  I don't worry much about fabric shortage on the sides of the backer as much as top and bottom.  If you don't have enough to pin to the leaders, just add a strip of muslin to make it easier to pin.  You can just sew it on with a large basting stitch so it's easy to rip off when you're done.  I rip it off and reuse it on the next one that comes in short!

I like you quilting ideas. How big are those blocks?

I would take a couple of wide strips of muslin and attach to the sides so that you can clamp.

Cute embroidery!  I usually outline the embroidery like I would applique, then do a fill in the background, or just echo the design.  Keeps the blocks from being poofy and I try to keep a similar density to the quilting throughout the quilt.  If you thread match the background, it doesn't seem to take away from the embroidery.  You don't really notice it.  The alternate blocks are busy fabric so not much quilting will show, but you do have a lot of plain area that will show the quilting nicely!  I don't worry much about fabric shortage on the sides of the backer as much as top and bottom.  If you don't have enough to pin to the leaders, just add a strip of muslin to make it easier to pin.  You can just sew it on with a large basting stitch so it's easy to rip off when you're done.  I rip it off and reuse it on the next one that comes in short!

That's what I love about this forum. I would have never thought about attaching muslin :rolleyes:  that should have been a no-brainer for me. I get so wrapped up into one thing that I don't look at the big picture.

Cathyh the squares are 8.5".

Merry Jo; I agree with quilting the embroidered squares like applique. I need to practice with some of my embroidery designs before I work on someone elses. I also have a limited selection of thread; which is something else I'm trying to grasp the concept of. I have 4 spools of Signature 40# cotton verigated that I got from my local quilt shop. I used Essentials cotton with my DM, but now I question it's strength. I have a ton of polyester thread but it's embroidery thread and I think it's only 2 ply. As for density, I have a 12" boomarang and thought about keeping the cross-hatch about 1.5" and the scales or shells are about 2 x 5.

Depending on how big the blocks are, you may be able to do a CC around all of the squares instead of the curved crosshatchiing on the print.  The idea of SID around the embroidery and the muslin adds are great.  Also..Scales and dragons...how clever!!

What does CC stand for again? :huh: I'm almost sure I've asked this question several times.

James...even though it is possible to use the backing the way that it is...the idea of attaching muslin is a good one. This might save the headache of possibly running out of backing fabric while quilting. Be careful though...it is possible to end up with part of the muslin as the quilt back if the top does not stay square on the back. I would recommend a strip of fabric that matches...at least for color... So that it wouldn't be noticeable if this happens. The binding should cover it up...but why take the chance?

Your design choices are good too. Might I suggest stippling the printed blocks? Not much will show I am afraid because of the print.

I agree with everyone on the backing to add a strip to give you more room.  I love the idea of dragon scales in the borders but anything you do in the busy prints probably wont show much, maybe consider doing those dragon scales there too to tie in the border but I agree, you should do something in the embroidered area even if CC's.  A differant angle would be to do CC's in all the blocks including the embroidered ones and the quilting would be consistant throughout the middle of the quilt.

Well, even after basting the muslin, the bottom was about 1/2" too short. I think the top and bottom borders can be shaved to match and take care of the backing issue. I SID the blocks and borders, tacked down the busy blocks with some diamond echos, and scaled the borders. Not bad for my second quilt. Normally, I don't think you are supposed to jump right in to custom quilts. I think there is something about crawling before running.

8483188705_c2eb513cab.jpg
Dragon quilt by jandcembroidery, on Flickr

James

Archived