Twisted Bargello Help Please

I have never had a bargello in my studio before and I am more than intimidated.  The customer wants an over all, my choice of thread color and I am also to name it for the label I am making. It is for her friend's son and I have no other information.

Question, what overall, what color thread and what would you call it?

Thank you in advance for any and all help you can give me.

post-1542-0-50493800-1362109488_thumb.jpg

How about a heavy thread like on the brown quilt you are doing but use a thread with oranges and yellows. I think some type of Native American design panto would be great.

Name? Reminds me of the Grand Canyon. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Look at UrbanElementz.com and check these out.

Dazzel

Eye of the Storm

Mimosa

Navajo

Thistle

Take Five

Diamonds are Forever

Trumpet Vine.

Good luck!

Update and now I am panicing.  The customer just left me a voice mail asking if quilt was going to be ready for quilt show. Now at no time did she mention quilt show entry to me. 

Thank you for suggestions on thread, name and patterns.  As this quilt is 97x108 and needs to be done before end of next week I am wondering if a wavy line down through the middle of the strips would be okay.

ow about a freehand big fern like feather following the color bands. Then on the black orders do 1,2, 3's or bamboo.  I would put the quilt on longs ways so I could follow the color bands with the feathers. Make it organic and the small imprefections will not be notices so much.  Good luck!!!

I agree with the southwestern design looks, the Navajo is a nice pattern.  If you don't have on hand, then I would go with the fire all over idea.  Be care on those seams, I have done many Bargellos and an all over does work best, but those seams can be little buggers especially the small strips.  If you do the flames, maybe "Southwest Fires" would be a good name.  I do like the suggestion, also, of using the brown toned thread to show off the flames.

If not doing a flame idea, then I would use a red/orange/gold varigated

Superior Threads King Tut Autumn Days 906

Chariot of Fire 929

Rainbows: Gypsy 814

These are some real pretty threads that are a varigated which would blend and pop at same time.  You could order in the thread in time to get done for sure.  Heartbeat Quilting here in Spokane has them in stock or of course you can order from Superior Threads.  Either way they mail priority you would have in a couple of days in time to get done. 

Jennifer, do you have a picture I could look at to see how this flows? 

Thank you all for your help, suggestions and just popping in to give words of encouragement.  I had decided to do straight lines through the intersections and the customer very emphatically said NO. She wants some kind of all over, so now I am back to the drawing board. 

I am in a camper on vacation so I did a rough sketch of great balls of fire and took a picture of it with my I-pad. Maybe you can get a general idea. Quilt a spiral. Then work flames on the round head but only make then fill half the circle as you go around the spiral. Finish going down the spine on 1side. Then cross over and do the other side. Spiral over to the new section and do it again. You can also echo the flames to move to a new section. Some flames are points and some have double prong shaped points. I googled flames and then selected images to see how they painted flames on cars and things when I learned how to do this.

Archived