Quilters Dream Battings...

Hello!   

I am the happy owner of a new Lenni!  :D    I got her about three months ago and I am enjoying learning and practicing on her every chance I get.

I have been visiting and reading this forum for months before I ever got my machine, and almost daily since.  I have learned so much that has helped me.  I really appreciate all the information, inspiration and encouragement that you share here.

I have read that many of you use Quilters Dream Batting.  I have only used Hobbs 80/20 and Warm and Natural so far.  I went online to order some QD and I see that there are several different types available....Select, Request, Deluxe, etc. .    Since I don't know the differences in these battings, I wondered if some of you would share which of the types you prefer. 

Thank you for your help!

Welcome, Linda!

The QD Select doesn't have a scrim and is too thin and fragile to use successfully on the longarm--although many use it if their customers bring it too them. Because there is no scrim it easily pulls apart when you try to adjust it after loading so it needs extra care to keep it flat. It also sticks to the backer so adjusting is a problem. When they first came out, the Select used to have a note saying great for hand and machine quilting but not good for longarming. Unfortunately it was on the back of the label and they have since removed the warning from the packaging.

Request is great to use. It has a scrim, a nice loft, and quilts beautifully.

Deluxe is their thickest cotton and also works well.

Linda Rech gives great info as always.  I love the QD request for summer quilts and QD Deluxe for quilts that will be used as the main cover on a bed.  To me, the quilting definition on Deluxe is devine.  Having said that, I also use a lot of Warm & Natural.  Some folks think it is too stiff, but the stiffness goes away after a good wash.

Lynn

P.S. Congrats on your new machine!

I love pretty much anything QD, except the green dream.  It depends on what I'm using the quilt for on what batting or battings I use.  I just did one in Dream Orient and that was in the Select.  I did have to be very careful with it but it wasn't horrible and it actually gave more loft than I thought it would.  I was a really beautiful light weight quilt.  Dream Puff is wonderful and light as well.  Wool is by far my most used and my favorite.  If I'm doing a quilt for show I always use a 2nd batting and mostly Dream Poly.  If I'm doing a wall hanging I  will do a dream poly on the bottom and half a layer of wool.  You have to tease it apart and it is a little fussy but that way you get the loft.  

Welcome, Linda!

The QD Select doesn't have a scrim and is too thin and fragile to use successfully on the longarm--although many use it if their customers bring it too them. Because there is no scrim it easily pulls apart when you try to adjust it after loading so it needs extra care to keep it flat. It also sticks to the backer so adjusting is a problem. When they first came out, the Select used to have a note saying great for hand and machine quilting but not good for longarming. Unfortunately it was on the back of the label and they have since removed the warning from the packaging.

Request is great to use. It has a scrim, a nice loft, and quilts beautifully.

Deluxe is their thickest cotton and also works well.

Linda I think you make have gotten Select and Request mixed up.   Looking at my order sheet from Quilters Dream they list Request as 3oz., Select as 4oz, and Deluxe as 6 oz.

I have used Select and found it okay but I have Deluxe on a roll and love it when I want a heavier quilt.

You might like the 70/30 Blend which is 3.5oz and it is very even and strong. It is my most popular batting with my customers.

Enjoy your new Lenni!!

If you contact Quilters Dream they will send you samples so you can look at them and feel them for yourself. 

I only buy Quilters Dream battings so all of my customers who don't bring their own batting get Quilters Dream.  I mainly use the mid grade cotton - select - (request is the thinnest) or wool.  The cotton qults up well but I've converted several of my customers to the wool. It is a dream to quilt on, drapes well, is lovely to sleep under and washes beautifully with no shrinkage to speak of. I have cats - I do occasionally have to wash my kingsize quilt!  I'm using dream puff for some wall hangings for a customer this week.  It is light but gives good definition. The only one I wouldn't choose to use is the green batting - I don't like how it feels or quilts. JHMO :)

I agree with Anne on this one, I have used all of the battings and any of them work fine for me, however like Heidi, wool is my preference.  Again, if you contact them, they will send you samples of all of the battings and then you will have a sample to show your customers when they are considering which batt to use.

I use QD all the time.  My favorite is Poly Select.  As mentioned...it is the "Request" loft that is the thinnest, and not suitable for longarming.  It depends on the look you are going for.  I have a couple clients who do not like the pucker when the quilt is washed, so poly is the best choice in that instance.  Some don't like a puffy quilt, so I use a flatter batting.  Wool or Dream Puff is great for a quilt that will have heavy quilting, and it gives nice stitch definition with a bit of puff.  It is easier to use rulers with wool than with Dream Puff.  You just need to experiment with the battings and see what you like.  I used Hobbs 80/20 whenI was quilting on my domestic machine because it was nice and thin but it held together well.  It is easier to get good tension balance on a thicker batting, and my machine loves Quilter's Dream Poly Select best of all.

Linda, I just wanted to congratulate you on your new Lenni!! And also welcome you to the forum!  I am sure you are having a wonderful time getting to know your machine and what you can do with it :)   As for batting, I personally use Hobbs 80/20 which I purchase on the roll, but I do have a QD batt I picked up at the lqs that I want to try after hearing how much they are liked here.  I've had friends even bring me Mountain Mist batting to use on their quilts and I think it quilts up really nice, but I've had a few problems with the batting having seams in it where one section is smooth was formed to another which was "gathered" to fit - easily fixable, but can be a pain. Again, congrats on Lenni!

I like both the QD and Hobbs battings...........the Hobbs Tuscany Resin Bonded Polyester is very nice and very similar to QD Dream Puff.   I think the QD wool is softer than the Hobbs wool.   I don't use cotton battings much unless someone asks for it.  I prefer the poly - just my preference.  As others have said, both companies will send you samples so you can touch and feel them.   Hard to know from a description online.   I got samples of Hobbs from Quilted Memories and the samples are 18" square !   The samples from QD were a lot smaller, but still able to feel them and know what they are easily.

Linda, congratulations and welcome to the family!! :) :) I'm sure you will love your Lenni as much as I love mine!

I too use mainly QD batting. Their 70/30 is a really nice blend, their Dream Puff is wonderful, but their wool is my absolute favorite. I have all three of these varieties on hand and go back and forth between them, depending on what I am quilting.

Have fun with your new baby and we'll look forward to seeing pictures of your projects. And don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to. We were all newbies at one time too and are here to help. :)

Welcome, Linda!

Linda I think you make have gotten Select and Request mixed up.   Looking at my order sheet from Quilters Dream they list Request as 3oz., Select as 4oz, and Deluxe as 6 oz.

I have used Select and found it okay but I have Deluxe on a roll and love it when I want a heavier quilt.

Thanks for the catch, Kathy! You're completely correct! I've edited my post to reflect the corrected names. :)

I use only QD batting for my own quilts and for customer quilts if they don't bring their own batting.  I love the wool best, but the cotton is my second favorite, although I also use Puff and the blend.  I also use the Green, mainly in tee shirt quilts.  I love how the cotton shrinks up after it is washed and dried and use it in 30's quilts and also in some of the modern quilts I did earlier in the winter.  If I don't want the look of any shrinkage, I use the poly.  So far I have only tried the Select loft batting.

Thanks to you all for the information!     I will definitely contact Quilters Dream and get their sample pack.   I think I will go ahead and order a Select and Wool Batt to give a try, as they both seem to be favorites. 

I really do hope to post some pictures, but so far, I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong.   

Thanks, too, for making me feel so welcome!    :rolleyes:  

I'm late to this conversation, but I'm also a new Lenni owner and a longtime fan of QD.  When I used my domestic machine for quiting, I used the thinnest (Request), but with the Lenni, I got the 80/20 cotton/poly blend - Select - on a roll, and it has been wonderful.  I like it a lot more than Hobbs.

although am not keen on tha  thinnest cotton it i  useabl  on   longarm still with succes  i have customer  who love  it  flatness.  it  not gret quilting definition but some customer  dont even know what that is.... lol 

i dont stock that one but if someone had bought it for me to use then i would without hesitation as it  fine if you lower you    foot too.

Archived