How Often Do You Use Rulers?

I'm just curious, how often do you use rulers and what are your favorites?  I know there are lots of threads that ask what the must have rulers are but I'm more curious how often you actually use them.  Do any of you stitch in the ditch free hand?  What about curves?

I have marked a baby quilt and added curved scallops.  I'm debating on attempting to free hand the scallops...I'm not very accurate with rulers yet!  

Valerie, I have lots of rulers but the most used I would have to say is DeLoa's Little One. It fits my hand so nicely! I had her Castle ruler for the longest time before getting the Little One, thinking how could  the Little One be better? But I find it's my go to ruler for anything straight or slightly curvy. I also have both of her applique rulers and am finding I use the Little One for outlining applique, too, rather than using the applique rulers (at someone's suggestion here, of course :) )

Sometimes I can pull off SID without a ruler but I'm not as good at it as I am with a ruler. And it does take some practice to get comfortable using rulers. There's no way I could stitch a curve without a curve ruler but I'm sure lots of gals can!

I mostly freehand SID if going horizontally or vertically..but diagonally, I have to use rulers.  I do not have Bliss, so the machine tracks very well side to side or front to back.  I use channel locks to do my initial stitched line across the top, and along the inner border on each side, though.  I have a couple Off the Edge rulers (no longer available, which is VERY sad.)  I like the precision of rulers, so I use them a lot.  I have the TriArcs set from Constantine, and I have DeLoa's curved rulers.  I also have DeLoa's Rope a Dopes, and want the set from Sally Terry for Terry Twists.

Julie, that's a pretty neat ruler! I like that it has a bold color on it as I often lose my ruler on my quilt. It looks like the ruler that comes with the A-1 machines that Judi Madsen uses. Is it two pieces glued together? I have been wanting one like she has but she mentioned she broke hers at one point so I worried I would certainly break mine if I dropped it on my concrete floor. Also, I was wondering how long the ruler is? About 8 or 9 inches?

I use rulers on most of the quilts that I quilt because most of them are custom. The only time I don't is if I'm doing a panto and but then I will still use Deloa's Castle for attaching the binding. That is my favorite because of the long tabs on the castle that hold the binding so nice and smooth as I stitch along. My most used ruler is my Off The Edge Itty Bitty. But I have lots more that I use regulary, like Deloa's Appliguide, Deloa's Boomerangs, lots of circles, some swag rulers, etc, etc. I use most of the rulers that I have bought so far and really enjoy using them.

Julie, that's a pretty neat ruler! I like that it has a bold color on it as I often lose my ruler on my quilt. It looks like the ruler that comes with the A-1 machines that Judi Madsen uses. Is it two pieces glued together? I have been wanting one like she has but she mentioned she broke hers at one point so I worried I would certainly break mine if I dropped it on my concrete floor. Also, I was wondering how long the ruler is? About 8 or 9 inches?

Bonnie, the ruler is 8 inches long, with that nice Ruby red piece being 6 inches long. It is glued, but seems very secure where it is attached. Being a Judy Madsen fan myself, I have watched her videos and had spotted the shape of the ruler she uses too. ( quilters have very keen eyes when they're onto something!) and decided if I found one like it, I would get it to try. I do have other straight edge rulers, and while they were useful at the time, this one is my favourite by far. I'm not sure how well it would 'bounce' if I dropped it as I too have concrete floors. (Hopefully I never find that one out) I noticed on Jamie's website he has a smaller version that also can be used around appliqué. May just need to get that one too!

I also use rulers on every quilt to SID - I only quilt for myself. I have the Off the Edge Itty Bitty and also a longer Carol's Multipurpose Ruler that is about 2" x 10" I purchased from Kimmy Brunner's website. I use them both equally for SID but the Itty Bitty has some curves available for other uses.

For those who "lose" rulers on the quilt top...I went to Walmart in the stationery/crafts area and got some stick-on flower shapes that are very bright colors with glitter on them.  I put a couple on each ruler, and I no longer lose rulers on the quilt top.  They were really inexpensive and very thin so they don't interfere in any way.  And the glitter stays on very well and doesn't come off all over the quilt top.  Whenever I get a new ruler, I put a couple on first thing.  They're useful, and cute, too!

Like most of you I do mostly custom quilts and if not doing a panto or CL boards (wish I had more of those quick quilts to do) I use my itty bitty for SID, and then mostly Deloa's rulers for various other things, I try to freehand but sometimes I just need a curve or straight line to be straight and then I can freehand around that.  I love her castle ruler as you can use it on both sides of a seam and yet keep it on the left side of your hoping foot.

Wow, really interesting to see who does and who doesn't use rulers.  I didn't realize how TRICKY they are to use!  I may be wrong but I have to guess that what base you have makes a difference.  My base was sort of a make shift base the previous owner had made and it resembles the Hartley base.  I'm thinking of taking my thread cutter off in the near future though, and when I do I think I'm going to order the Ruler Mate.  I can see how a small straight ruler would be very handy and I'm going to keep practicing.  Videos of long armers using rulers make it look SO easy!!  Hahaha!

Wow, really interesting to see who does and who doesn't use rulers.  I didn't realize how TRICKY they are to use!  I may be wrong but I have to guess that what base you have makes a difference.  My base was sort of a make shift base the previous owner had made and it resembles the Hartley base.  I'm thinking of taking my thread cutter off in the near future though, and when I do I think I'm going to order the Ruler Mate.  I can see how a small straight ruler would be very handy and I'm going to keep practicing.  Videos of long armers using rulers make it look SO easy!!  Hahaha!

Most of the videos are shown with a stitch regulated machine. Take your time and have you quilt path planned before you start. Good luck.

I use rulers a lot. I ordered some Fine Line Quilter's Rulers - both the straight-line and continuous curves - and really like them. They have a velcro-like strip on them that provides some "grip" on the fabric, and they improved my accuracy a lot (I'm not affiliated in any way, but I do love the rulers!). As for SID, I don't do a lot, but I use a ruler when I do - I'm just not that confident of my freehanding skills, so I use a ruler for almost everything I can. It slows me down some, but I'm happier with the results.

I was a total bust with rulers with my non SR Ult 1.  I still struggle with my Millie, but probably because I just don't have much time to quilt, and so don't get much practice.  But having the SR makes a huge difference for me.  If I have a brain cramp,  my machine notices and waits for me to get going again:-)

But you do such amazing work with your machine, I'm betting you will master rulers just as you have quickly mastered so many other skills.  You are an inspiration.

Depends on what I'm doing on the quilt, but I have most of DeLoa's rulers.  I like the size and accuracy of them.  I just bought Dusty Farrel's set of 5 for the longarm, you can do orange peel, clamshells etc with them.  I haven't really looked at the video yet because I just bought them at Paducah.  Jamie Wallen has some new rulers with a 45 degree stand up edge.  He has arthritis and finds he can grip these better.  His site is  www.quiltersapothecary.com  Most quilters have youtube videos using their tools. 

I use the rulers for marking designs,too.  Hope you find the best ones for you.

I use Deloas little one for almost all my ruler work.

I like that its small, fits nice in my hand & is easy to control.

The exception to that is, I use her castle ruler to attach bindings.

I don't have any other fancy rulers.

Archived