American Doll clothes pattern

Be sure to check the real sizing.  I made some for my grands and the pattern was one of the older published patterns.  I think the dolls have "bulked" up a bit from the first ones. If possible, borrow a doll from a local friend to see how to get them to fit.  I had a hard time getting them to close correctly because of the difference in bulk factor.  It has been awhile since I made any.

Aw, I hate that my 10 year old DD has 'outgrown' them already.  I made several outfits without sizing issues but did take their measurements so that I could double check.  I got the patterns when JoAnn's was having a pattern sale.  I made a hat, shoes, casual clothes, nightwear, fancier dress and a quilt of course.  I used Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick, even a Vogue one for shoes.  I bought way more patterns than I got to make.

Joan

Edited to add a few of her fav's...

All are Simplicity

Some of the simpler ones were her favorites. 

I have a ton of them and books as well (actually I like the books best).  Cant sell them yet.  Meredith asked for an American Girl doll way back in Sept.  Papa and I bought her Saige and I started making clothes for the doll.  I have mostly made them from quilting scraps but did buy some clearance fancy fabrics for cocktail dresses.  I have made her about 30 outfits to include 2 outfits for Christmas.  This doll can go anywhere at anytime and be dressed correctly!  They are super fun to make.  One of the best books is "30 minute doll clothes."  Once you get the hang of it you can use one pattern and create your own patterns and change them up to be whatever you want them to be.  So fun!!!  PS:  These are doll clothes so get some Velcro, fabric glue, and get after it.    Be sure to make the shoes or boots too.  They are hard but that and the hair bobs just make the outfits.  Shoes are just the bomb!

Have a  15 yr. old  GD who loved the American Girl Doll.  She has a 6 yr. old sister who is not  interested.  Have made clothes and DH has made furniture including bunk beds.  Two sets of them.  I made fitted sheets, top sheets, pillowcases and quilts to match.  What fun!!!   Called American Girl Dolls headquarters and they called me back with sizes of the quilts they make, bed sizes and etc.  Could not believe they would be so generous with information.  Lady I talked with said their policy is give out this information because you still have to buy the dolls.   This was several years ago and their policy may have changed.  Hopefully not.

wow, thanks so much ladies.  I knew I could count on you all for some good advice.  My oldest granddaughter just turned 11.  She has asked for the Rebecca doll for Christmas and I hear her other grandmother has gotten for her.  I imagine she may be making some clothes as she is a quilter also.  But I thought it would be nice to at least make something for her.  Will definitely be looking for the 30 minute doll clothes book and those patterns mentioned.  Ya'll are Great.

I have several patterns also, from when my 26 yr old DD was 8, so the dolls have "bulked up some?"  (Just like me  LOL !)  Anyway, I too will not sell them yet as my Granddaughter is 6 and getting the mini doll this year, if she does well with it then I plan to get her the big doll next year..  I've seen clothes at Target too...

I have sewn many clothes for my granddaughters' AG dolls with the McCalls M6137, M5554, M6370. Also with Butterick 3875 and see&sew B5414. I use newborn onsies to make tshirts by cutting right above the leg opening and serging a new hem. Then I can embroider matching tshirts using a smaller design on the onsie. Also you can google how to make headbands. You are going to have so much fun.

No help from me !  Barbie clothes did us in, but for live kiddlets... 

I do have a Fav outfit for AG though.  It is the yellow slicker rain outfit, hat, coat, slacks, boots..

Don't know why, but also our dgd's other gma made outfits that were old timey dresses, gathered

skirts and sleeves to puff a bit.. then made a swiss apron... so cute, with mary jane shoes, a bow in

her hair and a wee wooden spoon in a pocket. 

Rita

My co-worker's daughter went through an intense period of American Girl dress designing and sewing during her summer break.  Needless to say, I was happy to get involved in the project.  In addition to the 18 " doll patterns from the usual suspects like McCalls and Simplicity, Annie's Love to Quilt (formerly Clotides) has several pages of patterns and notions such as showes, underwear, etc.  I also found panels (I think made by Lakehouse but can't swear to it) that had an outfit and accessories.  If you can't find those locally, try Cloth & Quilts in Turlock, CA, to see if they still have some (they aren't really an internet retailer but they will ship).  I found the panels there in July on my way back from a quilt retreat in northern California.

I bought several patterns from Etsy.  You have to be careful.  You will get sucked into hours of viewing AG stuff on Etsy if you let yourself.  Some of the patterns were way too complex.  A couple were fine.  Only 1 was just not right for the AG doll (some bloomers).  Have fun.  Mary

Saw the panels, mentioned above, on the fabric.com site.  Think more than one fabric company has them.   They, also, had  fabric to make the doll's owner a matching outfit.   

Saw a cute outfit at a craft show last week.  It had a nylon jacket, with fur collar, elastic waist, zipper down front, zippers on pockets and zippers in pockets that were on the sleeve.  They were so cute.   The zippers were so very tiny.

Have fun!!!

Must be the year for American Girl dolls! Our granddaughter, Halleigh, is getting her mom's Bitty Baby for Christmas this year. So glad we kept the doll and all her accessories and clothes. She has lots of clothes, but does anyone know where to find Bitty Baby patterns? She is the baby doll, much smaller than the American Girl doll.

Archived