Traditional quilting for a traditional DWR

This is a big Double Wedding Ring made from batiks. I think the arcs were from a kit--every piece was a different shape and the joining four-patch was especially curvy. She wanted traditional quilting and that's what she got! If you're wondering, the center feathers were accomplished with corner-to-corner marking as well as horizontal and vertical in each pinched square. Almost took me longer to mark than to stitch! Thanks for looking and Happy New Year everyone!

Flickr link--arrow right for detail shots.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/11615332376/

Linda, I love this, thank you for sharing! Can I ask some newbie questions?

What color thread(s) did you use? I couldn't see where stitching moved between the sections with the lighter fabric so was wondering if perhaps you used one color across the quilt?

When marking, do you do this off or on the frame? And in this case what is your preferred marker?

Your quilt photos provide wonderful detail and so I was wondering: when you use your quilt hanging system is there additional lighting from the side, or does the double flourescent in the ceiling suffice? I'm working on plans for my basement makeover so thought I'd ask.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Linda, I love this, thank you for sharing! Can I ask some newbie questions?

What color thread(s) did you use? I couldn't see where stitching moved between the sections with the lighter fabric so was wondering if perhaps you used one color across the quilt?

When marking, do you do this off or on the frame? And in this case what is your preferred marker?

Your quilt photos provide wonderful detail and so I was wondering: when you use your quilt hanging system is there additional lighting from the side, or does the double flourescent in the ceiling suffice? I'm working on plans for my basement makeover so thought I'd ask.

Thank you and Happy New Year!

Hi Colette.

Here are some quilting details--the arcs were quilted continuously across and back, using a medium-blue BottomLine thread. The melons and pinched square were stitched with a start and stop in each using So Fine off-white. One row of seven feathered centers took me almost an hour. Everything was marked on the frame using a purple air-erase pen. I marked an "S" in each melon as a guide and the centers were X-ed and "plus-ed". I put a dot an inch out from the center of the X to help with the first round feather shapes. I seem to have good luck if I completely mark the feathers in the first four or so. After that I get a feel for the shapes and curves and can usually free-hand with the minimal markings I first talked about.

My lights are directly above the hanger system and I get a lot of glare at the top of the quilt. I hope to get Den to move the hanger back about six inches so it's not so bright. I take photos with a flash for full shots and without flash and the overhead light on for detail shots.

I think the best lighting is side lighting and my dream studio would have a photography light stand that bounces light off a reflective umbrella and back onto the side of the quilt. I've found these on Amazon and ebay if you want to take a look.

Thank you for your kind comments!

Linda, thank you for sharing your work with us.  It is amazing.  I went to your flicker page to check out this quilt and I think I spent a half our just looking at your gorgeous work. You are an inspiration to those of us that need more practice!  I am in awe.  I have to go clean up my desk now --- from drooling!!! :lol: :lol: :wub::lol:

Archived