HELP - backing too short! - Got it done - Thanks!

I checked and I checked before loading, but ...................the backing is too short! :angry:

Yes, I am approaching the last row of quilting I see that the backing is too short.  Can someone please tell me the correct way to correct this issue.  I called my client and she said just quilt down as far as I can and don't worry with it.  :(

I am maybe 2" short.  If she cuts off the last block, the quilt will look terrible.  Is there a correct way to fix this?

I have attached a pic to show where I am.  (Yes her blocks are off.)

Thanks!

post-5373-0-72594500-1390070877_thumb.jpg

Yes, you can fix it, and NO I would not cut off the quilt. How much extra fabric do you have on the sides of the backing? If you have enough, you can cut that off and add it to the backing edge that is shor. Press the seam open and you will likely never notice. I would take the quilt off the frame to do that, but others have talked about how to do it with the quilt still on the frame, and they will likely chime in here. If there isn't enough fabric on the sides, you can add a coordinating fabric. A friend of mine did this, and used that area for her label. It looked like she had planned it, and was an ingenious solution to the problem. We have all done this at least once, I think. Remember, its the back of the quilt. A piecer who is happy with her blocks being off that much isn't going to care about the back of the quilt. Apologize, give her a gift certificate, and she will be happy.

It appears you do have sufficient fabric on the sides to cut it off and use it on the bottom just as Lynn said.  No one will ever notice, especially with this batik fabric unless she is entering in a show.  I have a friend this happens to all the time (I know...I hear what you're thinking), but anyway, she takes it off the machine and adds the extra fabric and sells her quilts with no problems.  Don't cut off the quilt it will ruin the appearance of it.  You'll do fine with it and the customer will be fine. 

I don't see any reason to give her a certificate because obviously she didn't leave enough fabric all the way around to compensate for the quilting.  A lot of quilters (my friend included) think having that much fabric bigger than the top is a waste and they try to cut corners.  I keep telling her there is a reason for the extra fabric.  She was willing to sew scraps of muslin on both the top and bottom so she can start right at the edge of the top and backing and to the edge of the bottom and it is working for her.   

Lynn gives great advice! If you decide to add the extra side fabric to the bottom, make the seam far enough up into the body of the quilt so you don't have it wavering across the bottom edge of the quilt top. It'll be hard to get a smooth binding finish if the seam angles across the bottom edge. Good luck and I agree with Lynn's assessment of your customer--she won't care! :P

Don't make me cry :( or recall the numerous times I have encountered this same situation with a backing too short when I got to the bottom. It has happened to me more than once, twice, uhhh.. I am claiming the 5th amendment! :P  

Through my numerous encounters, trials and errors, I figured out how to add more backing to the quilt without taking it off the frame, and have done it a number of times with great success. You pin the extra backing on (pinned right sides together) and stitch a seam using your longarm. then flip the backing back and pin to the leader and continue on. Works pretty slick! ;)

If you have extra fabric across the top why not cut that off, re-attach the top back to the leader and use that strip for the 2 inches or so you are short at the bottom ..since the top is already quilted you can cut right to the binding...I ask because if the quilt is not square, the top and bottom are going to be one length and the sides are different length...just asking?

It is done and beautiful.  You can not even tell there is another seam in it.

Thanks to all for you words of encouragement.  Also a huge thanks to Vickie for the phone call that calmed all my nerves.

I did not take it off the frame.

Cut the extra fabric from the side. Added it to the bottom and away I went.

post-5373-0-15842100-1390088160_thumb.jpg

Of course, being somewhat of a newbie here, I am not doing "other's" quilts yet; but I do know that my quilter (pre-Millie ownership) would measure my quilt and measure my backing.  I don't think she would have accepted it  if it wasn't ample enough for my quilt.  Just a thought.

Like I said at the beginning of my post - I checked and I checked.  The backing was just fine.  I don't know why I ended up just 2" short.

Has anyone ever used Tuscany 100% wool batting?  I am wondering, if because of the loft, I lost so much in the back?

Any ideas?

Like I said at the beginning of my post - I checked and I checked.  The backing was just fine.  I don't know why I ended up just 2" short.

Has anyone ever used Tuscany 100% wool batting?  I am wondering, if because of the loft, I lost so much in the back?

Any ideas?

A loftier batting like thick poly or wool won't affect the measurements of the backer but will suck up a bit of the top--especially top to bottom. The side to side measurement can be maintained with careful pinning to the starting measurement. This is more prevalent if you float the top. So I can't imagine why you ran out of backer--I assume you placed the top edge close to the pinned edge of the backer. I've measured before and then placed the top going the wrong way on the backer. It's such a pain to correct that I draft out the backer/batting/top with all measurements so I'm sure to put the top down correctly. After loading each layer I measure across to be sure (yet again) that the pieces are correct. And even then I've been burned enough to advance the whole thing to make sure I'm OK.

Any ideas?

It's possible (Like Linda Rech said) you put the backer on the wrong direction and that is why it was short.

I don't know what to suggest.... it is possible that your backing wasn't square and perhaps when you were pinning to the leaders you had to give up some of the precious fabric to square it up?  hmmmmm  Another thought... I always ask clients for minimum 8"-10" longer and minimum 8"-10" wider just to buy me a little extra insurance in case the top is wonky or the backer is not square. Or perhaps you measured but your eyeballs read a different number? Oh well, just chalk it up to "live and learn" and move on. And....look at the bright side, now you know how to stitch on extra backing fabric without taking it off the machine.

Again...today my friend was doing a quilt on my machine and the back it over a foot too short.  She is ordering more fabric and I will show her how to add it on the machine and she will finish her quilt.  She's so funny.

• 1 year later...

I just knew you ladies would have the answer for me. I'm using a sheet for the 1st time for the backing. Not thinking apparently, I did not want to use the top part of the sheet, I couldn't get the crease out to my liking. I started past that crease not thinking duh it would make it shorter until you guessed it the end of the quilt. After I collected myself from a near back down lol. 1st thought was APQS forum. Those ladies will know what to do. 2nd thought was now I have to buy a whole other sheet. But Thankfully it was cheaper to buy the set so now I just have to take out the elastic and pray it's wide enough still to be able to add to the current backing. That video was really helpful. Off to rip out elastic.

Thank you all!!

Archived