Dyeing with Madison

I had Madison for two days.  We had a great afternoon dyeing fabrics for a new quilt for her "big" bed.  LOL she had a Twin size and I decided we really could use another queen when people come to visit.  Well Madison sure has not taken well to this!  Her "small" bed is in my office and she slept on it the two nights I had her.  I figured if I got her to help me dye the fabric she would want to sleep under that quilt too!  LOL  time will tell.  She did a great job and worked very hard.  She was happy to tear all the pieces to size, all I had to do was nip the fabric.  She then numbered them all 1 - 4 so that we would know what gradation level it was (If I want to repeat a color I'll know the recipe...I think).  We did 2 main colors, fushia and yellow.  We made 3 colors from those two.  We also did a snow dyed backer.  What fun we had.  I'm sure Madison will be talking about it for some time to come.  Now I just have to get her quilt done.  I'm going to make 4 patch with x's and o's...fitting I think :-).  Here is a picture of her with all her new fabrics.

post-2404-0-57650400-1392697258_thumb.jpg

Oh she is growing up way too fast.  Pity you can't get her to help you make the quilt as well.

Lyn she may be around to help a little with it.  I don't get her as regularly or as long so it is hard to fit it all in.  Normally when she comes to my house she just wants to revisit all her toys and get her normal back.  I'm hoping it will change soon.

Heidi, great job on the fabric dyeing.  It sounds like you and Madison had a great time.  I started my granddaughter, Abby, sewing when she was 8.  She's 9 now and she is going to show her Jungle Animal quilt in our quilt show on Saturday.  She's here today, Mama had a teacher in service day.  We're going to find a new project to start in a little while.

So pretty both the fabric and Madison.  How old is she now.  Is she going to help with the making of the quilt or hasn't she started to sew yet.  I have not started my eight year old granddaughter yet to sew. 

She is 6, 7 in May.  I don't know if she'll be around to help.  I did buy her her first jelly roll last year at MQX but we just haven't had enough time to work on it since then.  I have only had her for a night at most.  This time I had her 2 nights and we were able to really get some stuff done.  She is excited to learn to quilt.  I hope to get her quilting this year.  I was hoping to have a quilt for her to enter into MQX but I just didn't get her enough.  I started my daughter when she was 4!  We're 2 years behind that schedule.  

Darndididump.. I think I forgot to hit post when I replied.

She Has grown, a lot, too much. lol

She is so pretty.. and as already said, she looks like a Jewel.. an Emerald Jewel.

Awfully glad you finally got her for 2 nights.  Wonder what her Ma does when

Jewel is home.. lol, don't answer that..

Give her a Big HugZ for me, from me.

Rita

That photo is adorable!!!

Starting them sewing/quilting young (if they are interested) really helps later on!  My daughter has sewn with me since she was 4!  now that she's 24, she needs very little direction at all!  Doesn't sew/quilt alot with work and school, but she knows how!  now, my DIL (love her to death!) is older and never learned to sew or quilt.  she "thinks" she wants to do it all - I have tried to patiently teach her everything I can but I think she likes the "idea" of quilting more than the quilting itself (and maybe spending time with me, which is very sweet) - but I finally learned, this last quilt I didn't try to "help" her along and do things on it for her (for example, she hates binding) the more I do the binding (or other steps she puts off) on her quilts for her the more quilts she wants to make . . . this last t-shirt quilt she made for my son took her 2 years!  I don't think she really likes the quilting just the idea of it and my free time is limited enough to do my own UFO's (I liked the "idea" of them at the time I started them) so I just don't have the time for hers.  Do I sound mean?  BTW, she's been married to my son for 7 years, I've been trying to teach her that whole time . . . well I have my grandson to teach next!

That photo is adorable!!!

Starting them sewing/quilting young (if they are interested) really helps later on!  My daughter has sewn with me since she was 4!  now that she's 24, she needs very little direction at all!  Doesn't sew/quilt alot with work and school, but she knows how!  now, my DIL (love her to death!) is older and never learned to sew or quilt.  she "thinks" she wants to do it all - I have tried to patiently teach her everything I can but I think she likes the "idea" of quilting more than the quilting itself (and maybe spending time with me, which is very sweet) - but I finally learned, this last quilt I didn't try to "help" her along and do things on it for her (for example, she hates binding) the more I do the binding (or other steps she puts off) on her quilts for her the more quilts she wants to make . . . this last t-shirt quilt she made for my son took her 2 years!  I don't think she really likes the quilting just the idea of it and my free time is limited enough to do my own UFO's (I liked the "idea" of them at the time I started them) so I just don't have the time for hers.  Do I sound mean?  BTW, she's been married to my son for 7 years, I've been trying to teach her that whole time . . . well I have my grandson to teach next!

Cathy I too started my children sewing by age of 4.  My son doesn't quilt but he knows how to mend things and impressed his classmates in school when he could fix his own backpack!  LOL  My DIL didn't grow up with a mother that did any crafting or cooking.  She loves to do both.  I taught her how to quilt and her first quilt was so square!  She doesn't always remember from time to time but she is precise when she does it.  With two little ones under the age of 3 and keeping another baby she is super busy but any chance she gets she sews or does some other kind of craft.  You're not mean by the way!  I teach her to do her own bindings!  LOL  I do quilt her quilts for her but the rest she is on her own.  I love spending the time with her and my daughter sewing.  One day a few months ago I was quilting and my daughter was piecing and we did it all day.  I felt like I was in heaven, she is now 29.  I love that they want to spend time with me quilting.  I'm sure Madison will  love quilting.  I got her a felt purse kit of Christmas and she taught herself how to sew it together at her dad's house!  LOL  she even told me that she learned that she should have sewn the pieces on the outside on first and then sewn it all together.  I can't wait for her to piece her first quilt.  

Archived