Celtic Solstice/Bonnie Hunter finished

Check out the link for views of a Bonnie Hunter Celtic Solstice. My customer customized the outer part, adding extra points to the outer blocks and a modified sawtooth-type border. Get out the sunglasses, her colors are BRIGHT! She waited until the final reveal to pull her fabrics.

This Jacob's Ladder-type layout has a great circular flow without curved piecing. She wanted the circles to be accented by the quilting, but how to do that since a perfect circle would only accentuate the fact that the seam lines were straight? Plus how to stitch such a huge circle? I thought about it for a long time and the final solution was to put football shapes in the connecting diagonals and leave them without any extra quilting so they are more noticeable. There are two different quilting designs in the pieced blocks (she also modified the original by turning four chevron shapes in the alternate blocks--the blocks all use the exact same pieces). Then the footballs in the diagonals, and CC's in the border. She loved it!

Arrow right for detail shots on Flickr. Thanks for looking!  :)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/larech/15343102455/

I did that same quilt and my piecing wasn't all that great either, so I hear you when you say the circles wouldn't quite be a circle! LOL Linda, the quilting you did turned out fabulous and I love what you did with it!!! I might borrow an idea or two as I haven't quilted mine yet. The colors of mine are kinda BLAH so it's in the "maybe I'll get it done someday and maybe I won't" pile!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived