Your Favorite Circle Lord Template

Ok Grammie is looking into the Circle Lord which I will use with my Millineum and I'm not sure which Templates are going to be the most useful to start. This seems to be a great tool that will be handy for whoever is in my studio helping me especially the beginner.

My guess after reading so much would be the Baptist Fan, Clamshell and Swirls.

Have you tried the Crosshatching tools? Are they really easy or a pain in the Batootie?

What's your favorite and of course if you have a pic share.

Sorry Grammie is busting at the seams with lots of questions lately. I have my moements.

Guest Linda S

Right now my absolute favorite is the Featherz.

1312_TW_1.jpg

1312_TW2_1.jpg

But I do love the giant templates as well. Oh! And the oval, and the aztec, and the ginko. Well, OKAY! I love them all. The giant templates will allow you to do quilts in record time. You can't go wrong with the Circle Lord.

Linda

Good for you, Tammie. You will love this tool. I have use dthe cross-hatching several times. My customers love it. But I find that it needs to be a small area or an accent, like behind an applique or in a corner, etc. You do all the lines in one direction, turn the template and then do the lines in the other direction. It looks great.

I have also used the giant zigzag and baptist fans. I love the zigzag because you can create different designs just by sliding the template left of right on the second pass.

I hope to see you at MQS. I have an Ult I and would love to pick your brains about putting the CQ on the Ult I.

Linda S.,

Beautiful quilting. It looks like the featherz was made for this quilt. I have not had a chance to use it yet. I think it has 3 different sized wreaths. I just got a quilt that I might be able to use that on. It isn't as pretty as the white and red quilt that you did, though.;) What is the name of that pattern, do you know?

Guest Linda S

Linda - the quilt is called a Tennessee Waltz. My customer made it for a wedding gift, but when she picked it up today, she says she doesn't want to give it away now.

Linda

I've also been stalking the CL website, love the swirls. CL is a tad pricey though, so I will have to save up.

I'm sitting here cringing at what the postage/shipping for the CL and some of the large templates may be. Australia is such a long, long way away.......

BTW Love the quilt Linda, beautifully quilted. Just perfect:) makes me want the CL even more.

Grammie,

I had a Circle Lord and never used it...I sold it. You can do everything with the CQ...at least I figured in this thought process and it is easier. Save your pennies for the Liberty.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Just placed my order last Thursday and Michael said my Circle Lord and the templates I purchased will be here today or tomorrow. I owe a world of money, but I am confident this will only benefit my business.

So excited to try all my new templates. I did get the Baptist Fan too.

Michael made some good suggestions. He's under the weather with an abcessed tooth so think good thoughts of him.

As much trouble as I have had with my dear beasty, when I finally figured out how to kick the tension gremlin out my door, I managed to get three quilts done with the giant Baptist Fan in two days, and that was working full time so only worked in the evening. I used the Ginko on one quilt and put a different flower in every block but they were so busy you couldn't see a thing and the tension was so horrible I didn't even want to look at the back. I love my CL. I have not tried the feather template yet, it is just way too intimidating but am going to load a quilt tonight and attempt it. the customer service is so wonderful. CAlled Michael on a Sunday and he walked me through some stuff.

Michael, get to feeling better quickly.

Hi Grammie Tammy - You asked about the crosshatch template from CL. I do use this template a lot in backgrounds and it's wonderful in borders. For the crosshatch on an entire quilt I use the zig-zag/wave template. You have a choice of 1.5 inch squares or 3 inch squares. Really easy and fast. You can see the pictures of a quilt I did in my webshots listed here. Look under the Circle Lord album, page 2, it's a pink and turq. quilt. As for picking a favorite template I think most of us would just scratch our heads. Yes there are a lot of other tools out there but the CL is just plain FUN!!!. It's really fast and easy to set up.

I'm planning on ordering my Circle Lord this week and am trying to decide what to buy with it. Can you tell me more about the crosshatch? What is a good size that would be used the most? Is it continuous or are there still stops and starts at the beginning and end of each row? Where would you specifically use it? How would it be better than a ruler? I've looked at the videos and every spot on the site and can't seem to find info on the cross hatch.

Hi Grammie -

I have not been disappointed with anyt of my CL templates (ginko, spiral, featherz set, aztec, crosshatch), but I especially love, love, love the giant templates. A bit pricey, but they are quickly paying for themselves. I love doing custom work, but e2e is the "bread and butter" of my business and the giant templates are roughly twice as fast (not to mention accurate) for me. I just got the new swirls (very popular with customers, already) and "fanclam". Fanclam is a good value because it has clamshells, BF, orange peel and another border design all on one template. I will be adding more "giants" soon. My only regret - not purchasing the CL sooner.

G

For those of you that like the Orange Peel design and have the older version of the king or queen clam, just turn the template upside down and do the quilt again and you have the orange peel. Add 3 little lines coming out of the corners of the clamshells and you have oriental pampas grass.

As for the crosshatch, I do entire quilts with the zig-zag king template. You do your 5 or 6 rows e2e, then move your template over some and do them again to form the square. Move your material up and do the 5 or 6 rows then move the template back to where you started and form those squares. It really is easy and fast. You do have to match up your points after moving the fabric but that is easy to do.

The 18 inch template will have starts and stops but that is easy to do also. I use this template to put slanted lines in the borders also. Just skip the opposite direction. Looks really nice. Use every row or skip some for a different design.

Tammie - you will love how quick and easy the CL is - set-up and take-down

too...

Linda S. - LOVE that quilt! I have just purchased the featherz template and

have 2 quilts coming up for it - can't wait to do those! Thanks for sharing

the photos!! Did you have any slipage problems?

Great ideas Carol! I really do like the orange peel look - never thought

about using the zig zag that way though.... for crosshatch! Smart girl - -

keep those ideas coming!!!!!!:D

In addition to the basic set up we have the sprial and the ginko. We love them. I can't imagine how many years I would have to practice to do some of those using freemotion. I don't have that kind of talent. Since I saw Linda's FeatherZ on that beautiful red & white quilt I called Michael and that template is on it's way today.

Linda,

Beautiful quilt, and love those featherz. Can you do multiple sizes, or just that one? I might have to order that one.

Carol,

Thanks for the tip about the crosshatching using the zigzag. I might have to order that one too. Great article about you guys in Quilt NOW. I really enjoyed reading your success story. Any pointers for a struggling new quilter?

Teresa - you should go to the Circle Lord website and look at that template

You can do different sizes - plus there are rights and lefts!! I have not used

mine yet, but will be in the next week or two - can't wait! Looks like a much

quicker and easy way to do uniform wreaths!:) Have a great day lady - and

I really do hope things pick-up for you soon!

Archived