Cakes, too!!

Before my passion for quilting began, I was a cake decorator for 20+ years.

The printing company I work for has an annual pumpkin carving contest and I have taken 1st place two out of the last three years. I decided not to enter a pumpkin this year, but still wanted to do something........so I made this pumpkin cake.

It is two carrot cakes baked in Bundt pans with cream cheese icing. The leaves are made with Wilton Candy Melts, melted and then put in deocrator bags and piped out the outlines with one color and filled in with the other. The stem is an ice cream cone dipped in the melted Candy Melts

post--13461898676459_thumb.jpg

We have some talented quilters.....but so many of us had other jobs before quilting took over our lives....WHAT A GREAT cake....I have never seen anything like it and its such a cute idea, that maybe I can even re-create. I bake but don\'t do frostin\', I get more on me than the cake. My mother even took all the Wilton stuff away from me when I was in high school...said I was more of a mess than a help. I got sent to the barn instead. Yeah....no house work....and she thought I was incapable.;)

Bonnie - I\'m sure you could make this one. My only mishap was putting the tub of cream cheese icing in the micro and walking away.

Did you know that you too can have liquid cream cheese icing in less than one minute? Lucky for me I had another tub.

Placemats - I taught a guild workshop making these. You make 6 at a time and they are quilted as you go.

Here\'s my summer ones:

post--13461898677015_thumb.jpg

Ruthieq, GREAT CAKE and mats. Love the placemats! I also do cake decorating hence the name of my business

Sew-Sweet Gator Creations! The Gator part is because I served in the Navy on amphibious ships (gators) for 26 years (retired last July). Quilting is my passion but I do manage to do a few cakes especially for our guilds and bees.

Archived