Caution, tiny rant ahead!

Realizing that everybody has their own way of handling customer issues, I want to share a recent dilemma.

A woman contacted me two weeks ago after being recommended by her friend, a customer of mine. She had a top she needed by Christmas.

I told her that wouldn't be possible (booked past Christmas and into February since the first of October--I am very lucky!) but I would put her in line. She wanted to bring her top over right then. OK.

Anyhoo, she brought over a top. She also brought the mutual friend who, after we talked for a while, went home and brought one of her tops to get in line.

The second women then started pressuring me by saying I surely could fit these TWO tops in before Christmas--no problem, I am so fast and so professional, two more would be a cinch. She KNOWS I can figure a way to fit these in! I said no in every way I could think of. I told her no again when she called the next day to let me know she would be over this week to drop off the batting for her "Christmas quilt". I told her no when she came to drop off the batting. I told her no when she called the next day to "chat". Very emphatically she told me how important her top was and she just knew I would do what ever it takes to do this for her.

NOT! I am not a person to be told what to do (just ask my wonderful DH!!) and my decision now is to either tell her I am terrifically busy and please not to contact me until I call to let her know her quilt is done--in February- or just ask her to take it back cuz I am tired of the "pressure"!!!!

This is actually sorta comical besause she calls me every couple of days to check in. I don't have caller ID and need to answer the phone in case it is a real customer!!!

I don't have a problem being forceful and don't care if she goes away---omg, never thought I would say that about a customer--I feel kinda arrogant!!! But my DH just reminded my last night as I was sharing the latest from her--"hey, this is supposed to be fun." Isn't he wise?

So, give me a zinger for the next time she calls!!

I am thankful during this Thankful Season to have every one of you to talk to!!!

When you answer her next call, just let her know that everytime you need to answer an unneccessary call, "just to chat" it take you away from getting the already in line things done. So the way things are going now with all the phone interruptions, it could be March or April before you can get done with the committments of today. That means yours might not get done until June!!

Good Luck

Keep a record of everytime she or any customer calls, just jot down the time, date and a quick word or two about the conversation, also how long the phone call was.... perhaps you should have all your customers e-mail you after drop off, this way you have a record of what they want if any changes. Sign off at the pickup of the quilts is also wise. Some people want something for nothing....

In another life, another business I had a message which said "Please leave brief ....... ....... etc. I will return your call between the hours of 6:30 and 7:30 PM. Long distance calls will be returned collect. Thank you." I got tired of people trying to start the same business and calling me to pick my brain about it. This put a stop to it after awhile. Of course if I recognized a legitimate customer I returned the calls on my dime and much sooner.

Hi Linda

I\'m with everyone else here. Tell her how much time you are spending "chatting" on the phone with her, and remind her that this is putting her quilt ever farther back. At this rate, it\'ll be ready for Christmas 2008. I\'d also invest in caller ID, or a message on your phone saying that you are currently quilting, and will return calls between these hours. I think that most reasonable people are going to be okay with that. Doesn\'t sound like this is a reasonable person though.

Good luck.

Beth

Yea gotta love custs like this one.

You can always tell that there is a $200.00 charge for rush jobs because you will have to call every cust ahead of her and get their permission to put their job on the back burner so you can get hers done.Then tell her if one cust says NO ,then she has to wait til after the holidays just because she has poor planning skills does not mean we have to suffer.

Been there with a custom job from a big hopsital that wanted a quilt made ffrom scratch in 5 weeks that included hand applique,photo transfer,etc..My rush price was $500.00..they said no. They went to an artist and he laughed at them. They called me back and it was too late. I din\'t let it bother me because my stress level doesn\'t need to go sky high.:)

Linda,

There is always one in the crowd! LOL like everybody else I would tell her each day she calls that your order is not a day later. Explain to her that harrassing you to get the job done isn\'t helping and if she can find somebody else that can guarantee to get it done by Christmas for her then she can come pick it up! Some people just don\'t take no for an answer and think that being obnoxious will get them something...I can bring out my Ms. Business in those cases!

Good luck.

Heidi

Linda...I had one worse than this...it was my best friend, we aren\'t any longer. She made a large lap quilt, and really I could have stippled it in about an hours time with no trouble, but she was telling everyone that it was a great thing to have a friend who would LA quilt all her quilts for free. Well.....I never said that, nor did I ever indicate that I would do it for free....maybe a friends and family discount, but NEVER free.

:) That quilt kept getting put to the bottom of the pile and I think it was almost 2 years later that I finished it sent it to her with a bill....never saw the money (didn\'t really think I would nor have I said anything to her), and I can bet I will never get another quilt. to do for Free or otherwise. That is so rude to just be expected to drop for them.

This customer should be ashamed for trying to put you on the spot and its a good thing its not here with me...it would get slid to the bottom of the pile and it could be after the daffodils and tulips start to come up next spring that it would get done.

I have come to the conclusion that some people just aren\'t too smart. Ask her what part of NO doesn\'t she understand? You are only being fair to your customers that respect your schedule and got their quilts to you first. That if you make an exception with her, all of your customers would want the same treatment and by that time, you would have gone crazy and quit and then where would she be?????;) None of us need a customer like this.

Yes, Patty Jo! Is it the "N" or the "O" that is giving her trouble???

Actually, I was also going to recommend the "rush" fee. I charge $50-100 depending on the size of the rush. I explain to people that if I get to yours, and not push anyone else out of the way, I have to work evenings and weekends (even though I do anyway) and I consider it to be my form of "overtime". I make them pay that amount when they drop it off. If that doesn\'t work for her, give her some names of other quilters in the area, and tell her to start calling, even though you are sure they are booked too. If she finds anyone to do it before Christmas, then great. But the rush fee should quiet her down. Most people can be in such a hurry.

This reminds me too, I had a client where every call started "I was hoping you could get it done by..." and when I started instituting my "rush" fee. All of a sudden she wasn\'t in such a hurry all the time. Hmmm.....that\'s funny......

Tell her the time to get in line for Christmas projects is July, and ask if she even thought of it back then, as the others had.

Or, since I\'m available, tell her to send it to me, I\'ll stipple it for $150. plus shipping and insurance.. :P May have to set up the HQ frame and use my Viking,, but hey, who cares? I am just kidding!

RitaR

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement. She has stopped phoning--last week I told her that I would be sending her top back so she could find someone to do it for her before Christmas (yeah, like THAT will happen!) and she back-pedaled and flustered around and sweetly told me she would wait until I could get to it!

I really think it was all about control--she is used to being in control and wanted me to bend to her will! This is the same customer who swore last year that the shrinkage in the first top she gave me was my fault. She hadn\'t pre-washed anything (Kona cotton and W&W batting) and it was the "perfect fit" before I started so it must be my fault!! She washed it and it shrunk about 4 inches both ways.

That should have been a red flag for me, but she blind-sided me by accompanying a referral to the in-take and then ran home and brought over a top at that time. It\'s pretty hard to take in a top for one and then refuse the next!!I will be ssooooooo busy when she calls next time but I doubt if she will be detered.

Thanks again for the help! You are all so great!!!

I\'m asking for a phone with caller ID for Christmas!!!

Have her go to e-bay, there are lots of quilters there wanting work! I have a list of customer quilts and I DO NOT vary from this list. A new quilt goes to the bottom of the list - I don\'t want to get started that I favored someone. I did this once and never, never again. One can quickly get a bad reputation that sticks!!! When someone calls to have a quilt done, I tell them about how far out I am and then they decide if they want to be added to the list. So far it\'s working okay!

Originally posted by sewingupastorm

In all seriousness.................for those of you that are so busy there are many of us who would be happy to do those quilts. Yes I am steady this holiday but I could do that quilt for that lady. Send her my way!

Maybe rather than give your customer a "zinger" response, you could provide a solution? This would eliminate the pressure off of you, give the customer an option, and could give another available quilter some (much needed) business? A triple win win win for everyone! :)

When you have a long list and cannot accommodate your customer, I really like the idea of considering a referral to one of your professional relationships here on this APQS chat board. There are many of us here that might be able to do this quilt by Christmastime. If your customer is OK with shipping a top to one of the quilters here on this chat that you want to refer, that is a option. Ebay quilters do a very good job but I\'d much rather refer to my friends here than send to a complete stranger on ebay. (Some of our APQS chatters have ebay quilting bizzes set up, too ---such as our Canadian friend Monika in Big River, Sask) :)

I think Shana\'s got the ticket there. I am brand new to long-arming, not practiced enough to be in the running, but I can see that there will be times when I am good enough, I will not able to get many quits to work on from my small, isolated & not very well-to-do community. If we were going to do referrals, we\'d have to have a means whereby the customer (and we, before we give a referral) could see the other quilters\' work. Could we set up a photo album, that all interested quilters could participate in? I don\'t want to think that hard this early in the morning, but I am sure that we have some tech-savvy members who think that would be easy. I think I will be ready to go on it in a couple of months, & would be glad to participate.

I have had cases (not with quilting) where I really needed a fast turnaround on a job - it\'s not always lack of planning, although with a quilt it probably is, LOL.

But, if I asked for special treatment or a rush job, I expected to pay a HEFTY premium for the job! It was generally double at the photography store I used, because they had to keep employees working overtime for the job.

I also really like Shana\'s solution. If you really can\'t do the job, refer the customer to someone else. The photography store did that with me several times, and it worked out well, with everyone happy.

Archived