Under the Sea Quilt

After reading several posts about dwirling that Dawn Ramirez shows on her Pajama Quilter Reloaded, I ordered the dvd, and waited for the right quilt to come in. This was it. I dwirled the borders and was surprised that it looked as good as I hoped it would. I haven't done much echoing, but this was quick, easy and painless. The rest of the quilt was SID and doing something in the shells that accented them. The lower border is a combination of elements from Fishy Business by Medowlynn, and Laura Lee Fritz. I used Golden Threads paper and a chalk pencil to copy the designs, filling in with loop or leaves. I really had fun doing this quilt !

post--13461899022571_thumb.jpg

Hi Barbara! Wow, I was just thinking about you the other day... and wondering where you\'ve been...that I had not seen you around lately... missing YOU! Anyway, glad you are back and popped in to share your adorable quilt. That blue mottled with the bright blue thread is really lovely and so "under-watery" looking. Great job. Love that quilt.

I just got the dvd Pajama Quilter Reloaded. I absolutely love Dawn. Her method is great and I love her teaching method. All you need to be a good quilter is to relax, wear pajama\'s and eat chocolate.......who knew!

Great job on the piecing and the quilting. Can\'t wait to try the method myself. Did you have a pattern for the quilt, or did you make it up yourself? If it was a pattern, would you share what it\'s called and where you got it?

I think you did a better job of dwirling than Dawn\' example. Looks like you started in the center at one place. Really great!

I, too, love Dawn\'s DVD and style of teaching. Her designs are fairly easy to follow. There is one that I am having a real hard time getting, but most are easy. I hope she will make more videos. I watch hers over and over and over.

Great job on this quilt.

Hugs, Joy

Thank you all so much for the compliments! And thanks for missing me too! I wouldn\'t have thought anyone would notice that I hadn\'t posted any pictures in a while....I\'ve been doing a lot of pantographs lately.

For Jeannnine: this was a customer\'s quilt, but I\'ll ask her for the name of the pattern or pattern maker.

As for the dwirling: I didn\'t start in the center, I accidentally ended there and made the best of it. You know, tie it off and bury the thread. That\'s the beauty of this pattern, you can mess up, and it still looks good.

Dawn used this pattern as an overall, not in a border like I did....it was no problem in the top border, but since I didn\'t want to turn the quilt, I did the sides piece meal, advancing after a short run... I would quickly run out of space and sometimes get trapped. Didn\'t want the side to look that much different than the top border, so I was trying to get as much variation as I could before running out of space. As with all techniques, you will make it your own by making small errors and finding a way to make them look good....LOL at least that\'s my story!

Thanks again for all the encouraging comments!

Archived