NQR - New prayer request

I need paryers for my Mother, please! She called my just as I was leaving for lunch yesterady and wanted me to come take her to the emergency room. I could barely understand what she was saying so I knew she has has a stroke. I went straight home and she was sble to let me in her apartment. Turns out that the stroke happened the night before but she called my sister who lives about 15 miles away and neither of them called me, I live right down the sidewalk from her. I called the ambulance to come while I was still on my way and they got there right behnd me. Her bloodpressure was 238/ something so they took her in the ambulance. We did not get her there in the 3 hour time frame to get the med that reverses the stroke, but the Dr says it was not real bad. Her speech is slurred, her mouth sags just a tiny bit on the right side. You really have to look to see it. They are doing more tests today, MRI and all that. She ahsn't had any memory effects, know where she is, her birthdate, today's date, where she lives, where she was born, etc. She had not been taking her bloodpressure med as she was supposed to. Says it is too expensive so she tries to make it last. We've talked about that before soooo...

Please keep her in yours prayers! Her name is Freddie Neel.

Thank you & God Bless you all!

Kenna -

Our prayers are with you and your family, and of course for wisdom for the doctors.

Sounds a bit like my dad\'s stroke. Though his left arm remained a little weak, the droop in his face disappeared over time and he soon recovered. It was his wakeup call about not taking his meds.

Take care...and let your mom know she\'s in our thoughts and prayers.

Anita

Kenna,

We will be thinking good thoughts for your mother.

I can understand her dilemma about expensive medicine. All of the heart medicine my dad takes is about $600 a month. I don\'t understand why they have to prescribe such expensive medicines to older folks who can\'t afford to pay for it. The most I have ever paid for anything was $100 or so, and that was antibiotics. Tell your mother that the blood pressure medicine is necessary. Ask her doctor to get her something less expensive.

I will see which BP medicine my mom takes, it\'s only about $30 or so every month.

Kenna,

Oh I will add your mom to my prayers and here is a big hug! My blood just boils when I hear of the elderly trying to make meds "stretch!" My mil has told me that she was taking 2 drugs and couldn\'t afford more so she wouldn\'t get more prescriptions filled! I fixed that. Luckily for us in NY we have EPIC for the elderly and it is based on income. Now she has a very low deductable and takes the meds she is supposed to! These drug companies should be giving discounts to the elderly instead of paying their drug reps so much! I know research costs a lot, I work at a univerisity reseach center and I\'m the financial manager, but I also know many drug reps for the big companies and they make a lot of money! I think everybody should make a fair wage, don\'t get me wrong and if there are some of you that are drug reps I\'m sorry if this statement bothers you, but the way I see it is we need to take care of our elderly and we shouldn\'t be charging rates they just can\'t afford! My mother pays more than $800 a month for her meds. She falls into the donut hole of the new medicare program so for several months she pays full price. Even more disgusting is that you can go to Canada and get the same drugs a lot cheaper.

Kenna I\'m sorry this is obviously a sore subject for me! I\'ll start my prayer for a full recovery and tell your mom to take her drugs!

Kenna, ask her doctor about patient assistance. There are some drug companies that will help provide meds to those who are low income. She will have to complete a form and provide information about her income to the drug company. If the med she is taking doesn\'t offer that - ask her doctor if she could switch to one that would offer that program. I don\'t know if you are near a wal mart - but they have a long list of meds that are $4.00. You can get a print out of that list from them.

I know how difficult it is to pay for these medicines and it isn\'t fair or right. But here are 2 options that might help. I help the elderly and others with this all the time. You can email me or U2U me with the name of her med and I can let you know if the manufacturer offers a patient assistance program with that.

Both of you will be in my prayers. Take care.

Kenna,

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Hope that you find an alternative for your mothers meds. I once had one that was $120. a month, it\'s was big burden, thankfully now the one I take is only $20.00 a month. Take care, God Bless!

Angela

I\'m praying for your mom and a good recovery!

My sister went through a massive depression after her boyfriend\'s suicide. The dr.\'s had her on 3 antidepressents just to try and function, and they only helped a little. She was telling me that they were over $450 a month -- "kinda takes the happy right out of the pill, huh?" she said!! This sort of stuff makes me mad too.

Kenna, Hugs, and lots of prayers.. also, some drug companies, if you call them on the phone, and ask for assistance with the meds.. often will cut the price in half or give them free. I had a friend who did that.. then died from something totally unrelated to any of her meds..

God bless everyone, and may the Lord guide the Dr. thoughts and treatments.

RitaR

Kenna, I am so sorry about your mom. I am sitting here almost crying for the help people have to offer from the quilting board. I think it is wonderful that you all share your knowledge and want to help so badly.

Gotta go get a tissue, my mascara is going to run. Must be a hormonal day.

Michele

Kenna, You and your Mom are in my prayers.

It is wonderful that she knows who she and that she can communicate with you.

I know that you can feel the love and huzz that all of your quilting family is sending along with their prayers for your Mom full recovery.

Please keep us posted.

Carolj.

You all are so great! This is teh first I\'ve been able to log on, since the server was down over the weekend. I dashed that off Thursday when I came home to get a bag for her. They moved her to ICU Thursday night about 7:00 after waiting in a room in the ER all day waiting for a bed to open. They did an MRI at 7 pm on Friday, and she was moved to a regular room on Saturday morning after her BP had been stable for 12 hours. They did the Nitro thing Thursday and Friday and she was off that by Saturday afternoon. Do not ever let anyone say that prayer doesn\'t work! When they put her in a regular room the Dr\'s had her moved to the 6th floor with is where the Cardiac & Oncology units are, this is where the Dr\'s put their family members when they are admitted. Now there is nothing wrong with her heart, and she doesn\'t have cancer, this was strictly a BP thing. She didn\'t have an anurisim (SP). It turned out that the daughter of one of the ladies from her quilting group at church who has grown up in the church, was an RN in the Oncology unit where Mom was. ALSO, one one my best friends for the past 33 years was her nurse! Now was the Lord looking out for her or what? She never had any more problems, this was brought on simply because her BP got too high so it was not a hemoragic (sp) stroke. The only time you can see any sag in her face is when she is just waking up, and it goes away in just a few minutes, and she does the usual little things when the right side is a little weak. Her speech is really the only way you can tell anything happened at all! Listening to her talk she mumbles if you don\'t remind her to speak up, and once she speaks up she sounds almost right. In between those 2 she sounds like a 3 year old. Therapist says that it a retraining her brain thing and this should all go away, gave ehr some exersizes to do , and we brought her home today. In fact, I went over after I got home from work, my sister had just left, and Mom is fine. She\'s going to keep her phone with her, keep the deadbolt on the door unlocked, adn call me if anything seems strange. Her quilting group broght her some meals to nuke, she can do that fine and wants to just do it herself. She\'s going to call before she goes to bed, and then when she gets up in the morning adn the Home Health people will be there tomorrow. We are getting the meds thing handled and she says she\'ll never skip her meds again!

Thank you for your prayers! Go dis good...All The Time!

Kenna,

So glad to hear that your mom is home. Sounds like she is a pretty tough lady, wanting to do things herself, yet realizing she needs to let you all know what\'s going on. Hope that she continues to do better. Good luck with the meds.

Darlene is right God is awesome.

Angela

I\'m sorry to hear the bad news about your mom. I didn\'t know that there was a 3 hour timeframe to get meds after a stroke. My mother had several strokes but didn\'t always go to the hospital coz she didn\'t feel well enough to sit there for 10 hours. She always recovered quickly and fully. Hope you get lucky like she did. I understand the stretching the meds issue. I do it myself. I just can\'t afford them. 2 are $100 each per month. This health care crisis is ridiculous. I don\'t believe the politicians who say its too hard to fix. Its easy to fix, but the politicians don\'t have the back bone to go after the health care industry. In IL where I live, children and seniors are covered by a state insurance plan. It doesn\'t solve all the problems though.

Archived