This weekends quilt with pictures

My latest quilt, quilted this weekend....I wanted to show that I do more than art and wall quilts. this baby is 90 x 90, I did the cross through the irish chain and a variety of different patterns quilted in the blank spaces:P:) p.s. This is all done without the computer. I did everything with rulers and templets, no computer! None at all for those who are wondering, I unplugged the computer and went for it....:cool:

post--1346189919636_thumb.jpg

Stop and go, stop and go, since this quilt isn\'t for show but for my bed (I have the dogs) I back tack approx. 1/2 inch, locking off at the end as well as the beginning. I stitched in the ditch around all the large blocks, starting from one end of the quilt to the other, no stopping or tie offs needed, then went back for the blank blocks to put in the seperate patterns.....

So which do you like better CQ or the templates? We have CQ but I\'ve been trying to step outside the box and working manually on 1/4 inch diagonal lines on my last quilt (a charity quilt so I have played) with rulers and trying to manually control the Milli. It\'s difficult...I get frustrated and then go back to the CQ...and then back to the rulers...

I do find that time goes faster and I really get into my work when I work with rulers but my lines aren\'t exactly parallel. So I end up ripping a lot of stitches. We thought about getting the Hartley Fence especially for the 1/4 inch parallel lines but someone told us if we had CQ not to get the Hartley Fence.

So do tell! Did you find it faster with the rulers? Did you use the ruler you found at Michaels for the SID?

I have a custom quilt coming up - an Irish Chain. I am thinking I will manually freehand the SID and use a more elaborate CQ for the motifs in the plain areas. I\'m thinking I will cross-hatch the chain blocks but haven\'t decide whether to use CQ or manual for the cross-hatching...

Hello, well let me see....I don\'t have CQ I use a different computer system, PCQ...I find that rulers are more fun and faster for general quilting, such as in the ditch or basic motifs. It is almost impossible to sid with the computer, I use the Handi QUilter 12" ruler, or the sid 1/4" ruler from quilters rule :http://www.quiltersrule.com/template/Othermachquilt.html

I do use the computer for motifs that I want to have lots of detail, but the quilt above was done with the top templets, meaning the templets used against the foot of the APQS, and also the quilt boards that use the stylus on the quilting table. I prefer using the computer for details I can\'t do freehand like my art quilts with the statues or angels. I have a Hartley fence, actually one of his 1st fences, pre paten, so I\'ve modified it to do other things, like spirographs, but I didn\'t use it for this quilt. It\'s faster doing work with the rulers I find, I have a very stable UII that is so fine tuned(by me) that she will do anything I want without any trouble, no jumping or jerking, if you find it hard to control the machine at first, use your take up roller to apply a little tiny pressure against your machine bed, this will be a little harder to move the machine freely, but it will give you accuracy and build up your ability to do it with less pressure once you get the feel for it.;) In the quilt above

I quilted each blank area after sid the outline, and made sure that the center , :cool::)quilting touched the edge where the sid except for the circles, hearts and stars, which arn\'t shown in the picture cause the quilt is so darn big that I didn\'t capture them at the bottom of the quilt. So in retrospect, I think that the free hand is much faster than the computer.... I do like the computer for E2E quilting, thats a no brainer, just set up and go, have a cup of tea while the machine does the work...much easier on the back too,,,,There is a place for both in my quilting world, but I would say learn the templets first and become good at them, it will only enhance your computer quilting when your ready...

The ruler from Michael\'s is for 1/8 inch, and I\'m finding out that it doesn\'t fit all machines, it\'s a foot size thing...:cool::D

Archived