Should I wash my quilt? - Drying now...!

I have read that various master quilters wash their quilts before trimming and binding - to get the pen out and block it.

I have used Hobbs Polydown underneath and Tuscany wool on top and quilted it to death!

A quilt teacher in Scotland advised me not to wash as it would antique it too much but my class notes from Tammy Finkler advise to put in washing machine as it helps to "tenderise" the quilt which may otherwise be pretty stiff.

My washing machine is not as big as an American model. I don't have a 9 foot square floor to block it on.

Should I wash it?? I do need to get some pink pencil marks out and a bit of puff to my gazillion pebbles would be nice but will my puny washing machine scrunch up my big quilt??

Your opinions are all valued!

LINZI x

post--13461899986266_thumb.jpg

Hi Linzi,

Beautiful quilting!!!

As far as washing the quilt before binding, it may be better to hand rinse (that will take out the pen marks ) but I would not put a quilt with wool batting in a machine with an agitator. The poly batt won't shrink, of course, but my info about wool says always hand wash as machine agitation may "felt" the batt. This warning may be a "cover our a**" warning from the batting maker --- in case someting bad happens--then it won't be the manufacturer's fault as there was a warning!

Best way to hand wash/hand rinse a bulky top--fill tub with water and whatever you will use for washing--Orvus, Synthrapol, Retayne, whatever. Place the top in a plastic laundry basket. Lower the basket into the water. Squeeze and press the top, working the water through the top--don't twist or pull on the top. Drain the tub and press the water out of the top --again no wringing, etc. Refill with rinse water and repeat until you are sure all soap is rinsed out. Drain a final time and press out as much water as you can. Lift the entire basket out of the tub to carry wherever you will be blocking/drying the top.

If it will be in a show, all the info I have seen says a quilt must be blocked to insure that it is square and flat. And usually this blocking is done after the binding is applied so you can get accurate square corners and like-measurements across the quilt.

Please, post photos of the whole top when you finish. It looks wonderful--block design and quilting are great! I echo Jessica's comment about the quilting on the leaves--love it!

Linzi

Lovely work!

I follow Harriet Hargreaves' advice and use my washing machine as a big tub.

If the article is very delicate I do not switch the machine on, just gently swish it by hand.

After the water drains away I give it a very brief gentle spin so that most of the water is out.

This is very gentle on the quilt and on my neck, arms and back!

I don't know how Tuscany wool is manufactured and the recommended laundering methods. I use a local wool batting by Matilda's Own without fear in my washing machine.

Perhaps you could do a small sample using the Tuscany and see how that goes.

Regards, Judy

There was a woman on Simply Quilts one time who made her own batting from her own sheep. I have 2 old wool blankets that I bought at an auction and thought I would have to dry clean them...but my thought was if this was an army blanket, I bet they wouldn't dry clean it. I emailed the woman and asked her if it would be okay to wash my wool blankets. She informed me that it would be perfectly fine to wash them, her sheep stand out in the rain all the time, and they don't shrink! ;)

Linzi,

I used QD wool on my heirloom baby quilt and it washed up just fine. I have a front loader so I don't have an agitator in my machine. You might consider taking it to the laundrymat to use a bigger machine but I always run a load of my own clothes first to make sure there is nothing in that machine that might hurt my quilt. That is what I did before I got my own front loader.

Karen McTavish has you block it then trim and bind it. She uses foam insulation sheets to pin into and that works out very well. I'm not sure what you have in Scotland but in the US we can just go to the hardware store for it. I cover mine with a bed sheet and then pin it out. I even let hubby help :P:P:P:P! Your quilt is beautiful and I can't wait to see more pictures of that quilt! It looks beautiful.

Originally posted by hmerrill

You might consider taking it to the laundrymat to use a bigger machine but I always run a load of my own clothes first to make sure there is nothing in that machine that might hurt my quilt.

I didn't do this one....and I had a quilt get really messed up....whomever used the mashine last, had poured bleach inside the machine...hadn't washed any clothes and I didn't realize that the machine wasn't clean, and put Gene's Rail Fence in it....it was made out of royal colors (blue, burgandy, green, and sky blue) from Moda...and they ALL bleached out and went from royal to pastel and pure white, in one easy washing....I was so angry.

Since then I alway wash one load of my own in and then the quilt....

Thanks everyone for the advice. We don't really have launderettes here much now except where students live! My husband said, "Don't wash it - some disaster will happen!" but I also emailed Linda McCuean and she gave me permission:P - she said it's the only way to get the pen properly out and not just faded away until later... I love MB's comment about the sheep!! I normally do wash quilts that are working quilts in the machine but this oneis a bit big - looks like it will take a bath. Now where to find horse shampoo (Orvus)?? The local agricultural merchany already thinks I'm barmy...

Those foam boards look great but I've never seen them here. I'll have to clear out the workshop to get a big floor. I'll let you know how it goes. I aim to get it off the frame by next weekend - still a load of prairie points, yoyos and buttons to add!!!

LINZI x

I have used Quilter's Dream wool in a few quilts and there was little or no shrinkage since they prewash it before building the batt. I have never tried the Tuscany wool so I would be cautious about washing it.

LindaR's laundry basket in the tub idea is the way to go for your delicate piece. I once used (too much) blue marker on a quilt for my DIL's best friend. It was a utility quilt so I ran it through the washing machine. I actually had to run it through the washer 3 or 4 times to get the last trace of blue out. I have never used pink. You'll have to tell us the manufacturer and how you like it.

And, you simply must post more photos. I love the quilting and want to see a close-up of the blocks on the left side of the photo you posted.

Lovely quilt,with lovely quilting. I can't comment on washhing wool wadding cos Inever have washed it. I have used it and I love the way it keeps its bouncyness and its so warm.

For blocking you could try polystyrene roof insulation which comes in large sheets, available at builders' merchants or possibly from Wickes or the like.

Do you have extra pieces of the wool and poly batting, where you could make a smaller sandwich, "test" quilt it in a hurry, then wash that piece first to see how it would come out? Just a thought.

BTW, your quilt is charming and fun.

Marlene in Tahoe

I used Taos Mountain wool in quilt, and washed it following all the rules religiously, and it still shrunk terribly. I am a wool lover, and this was traumatic for me. It shrunk so much, in fact, that I was moved to take the entire quilt apart, machine-stitched binding, machine-quilted stitches and all, and quilt it again with Fairfield Soft Touch batting. I don't plan to ever again use a commercial wool batting, but if I did, I would only dry clean the quilt. Please note that I have not tried any of the currently available commercial wool battings, but wool by its very nature is touchy stuff.

I never thought about using the plastic wash basket. What I have done when washing a quilt in the bathtub is to line the tub with a sheet for maneuvering and lifting the quilt. You need to be especially careful with a handquilted quilt because the weight of wet quilt can pull out all those buried knots and even break the quilting thread.

I'm wondering about others' experience using the the wool/poly combination batting because those fibers are the two worst for "bearding."

ramona quilter:

I prewash my fabric, (and wash everything) with Shaklee Basic H and Basic L (although Basic L now has a different name -- Fresh Laundry) and the blue comes out with one washing, although I think it is already out after being spritzed with distilled water. A friend had a similar experience; the blue lines were worse after washing. I think it was due to the detergent she used. Some detergents SET the blue mark. It took her ages to get rid of the blue lines. If you need to wash four times to get the blue out, you might want to think about changing washing products.

Mary Beth:

Regarding the army blankets, (are you talking WW II vintage?) I can practically guarantee that they have been washed countless times. Back in those days, very few people could afford to dry clean anything. Just to be on the safe side, wash them first, just like you would wash a load of regular laundry, and I'm sure they will be just fine. I have some tucked away that are going to be my "wool batting" for future quilts.

Linzi:

1. Your quilt is lovely.

1. You can get EVERYTHING by ordering online.

3. I agree with your husband.

4. How exciting that my message goes all the way to Scotland!

Linzi,

Love that quilt, what an unusal pattern..your quilting is amazing..how long have you been doing this now??? 6 months??

I do love the words you girls across the pond use, the first time I saw "wadding" I was just so puzzled as to what Ferret was talking about :o but finally figured it out..batting..wadding over here is something you might roll up in a ball and stuff in a hole to keep a draft from coming in the house.

Mary Beth..you are a hoot!!!:D

For what it's worth, I wash all my woolen yardage in my front loader on delicate and med spin dry. I put it in the dryer on low for 15 min and then hang it over my drying rack. When it's just slightly damp I press it, lay it on a sheet on my bed to cool and finish drying. Never had a problem even with wool/cashmere blend.

This way I can wash my garments after they're sewn. No dry cleaning!

Linzi, You design and quilting are superior! I'm anxious as others to see it finished!

I do both, if wall hanging, never to use on bed type quilt for show, I do not wash.

I also washed my other applique quilt for show after binding, we have a front loader and it is just marvelous. Then I put it in our dryer and use the damp dry cycle which is I'd say 28 minutes or less and then I block it on top of our bed or the carpet, protected by bed sheet, turn on the elecftric fan and voila, it looks perfect.

Both quilts won ribbons in our juried local quilt show, 1st prize and the other one best in challenge, applique.

Corey

Got the quilt off the frame today... stiff as a board with all the stitching! So I tried to get it in the washing machine - too big...

Put it in the bath with Ecover for delicates and gently swished and rinsed. Cleared workshop and put towels down on floor.

As huge quilt was soaking wet decided to SHOVE it in the front loader 'cos Linda McCuean said so to give it a little spin. It smelled not unpleasantly of wet sheep. Realised it was quite soapy at this point so gave it a rinse too for good measure.

Put it in cold tumble dryer for 10 mins then have laid it flat on floor.

I don't think I'll have any problem with it hanging straight as it is so heavy gravity will sort that out. I have decided to get some tennis balls to put it back in the dryer for a plump up when it is nearly dry. It think it has definitely softened it all a bit and it may be my imagination but the pebbles do seem fatter.

Next for the tricky and slow task of adding the prairie points (slow because I will hand sew the back on then I'll have to do another row of pebbles with the DSM once it's all folded in - UGH!) Then a sleeve, label, buttons etc and check for stray threads... I'll show you when it's done!

LINZI x

Archived