This would be funny if not so sad

I have to thank the Lord for giving me a sense of humor cause if He hadn't, I'd be crying right now.

It started with me takeing my kitty to the vet cause she was always getting sick to her tummy and I was getting tired of cleaning it up @ 2 AM. So after her initial check up, some tests and $140 later, and with dollar signs in their eyes they said "Yep, she needs some medication" - but not for her upset tummy. They found out she has a thyroid problem and she had lost about 3 lbs in the last year. Now, I've always thought that I wanted a thyroid problem cause then I wouldn't have to diet.....(I do know that I really don't want a thyroid problem, it just makes the story better). So they have to special order the medication and when it comes in I go and pick it up for another $48. Then after 14 days I take her back in for another blood test to see if it's helping, Another $100. They say yes its helping.

Don't they know that Innovations is coming up and I need my spare cash to shop with???

OK, back at the ranch...My DH's last couple of chemo treatments have been very hard on him and he isn't bouncing back like before & he has had a few spells where he couldn't keep anything down. Well, this morning at 2 AM, I hear DH getting sick and right on que, the kitty starts getting sick and I'm trying to figure out who do I help. Well, Bill was taking care of himself, so I helped the cat to stay off of the carpet.

Now I know that this sounds backwards for me to help the kitty, but she was closest. It has been just warm enough that I've had the bedroom window open and while this is going on the neighbor who loves opera starts listening to some tenor who is warbeling to the neighborhood (I think that she is hard of hearing and doesn't realize how loud her music is) and it was all I could do to not start laughing, but I knew that DH would not appreciate it at all. Maybe you just had to be here, but folks, I have to laugh cause if I didn't, I'd be crying. So....

That is how I spent my early morning hours this morning. When the alarm goes off in 3 hrs, I get to take DH back to the hospital for additional treatment.

And how is your morning?

Oh PattyJo,

You made me remember that I don't have it too bad that's for sure!!! I'm so sorry your DH isn't getting thru the treatments easily. Chemo is a wonderful thing but Hell to go thru!! Poor kitty too. I hope you get her straightened out so you don't have to keep cleaning up after her!! Pets are such a part of our lives and give us so much comfort however they can be real work too!!! I'll keep all 3 of you in my prayers!!

Thank you Debbie. All prayers are greatly appreciated by us. While I'm wide awake, I've been researching cat food to help with hairballs. Now thats something to do at 3 AM isn't it!! That will be purchased tomorrow after DH's next visit to hospital. More $$ from my Innovations funds. :( But all in all well worth it not to have to put kitty down.

Yes, Darn pets!!!! They come into our lives and get in our hearts then start costing us!!! I am allergic to cats but spent the nite one time with a kitten on my chest that someone had left off at our house and it almost froze to death before I got home and discovered it!!! Benedryl is a wonder drug!!! I fed that baby Eagle Brand sweetened condensed Milk since we didn't have any real milk. Lived in the boonies in upper peninsula of MI. Fortunately a friend was ready to have another cat in her life. Why do cat migrate to people who are allergic anyway? If I'm at a friends house that has a cat, they always want to be on my lap or on the back of my chair!! like I said Benedryl to the rescue!!!

Hope DH doesn't have too many more treatments. It must be hard to see him go thru this. Cancer is such an insideous disease.

Take care,

We will know this next Thursday if he has anymore treatments or not. They will look at his blood work and determine if more are needed. I sure hope that they say he finished for awhile at least. And your right Debbie, cancer is an insideous disease that can hit anyone no matter your age, your fitness level, rich-poor-tall-short----nothing matters on whether or not you get it. That is one thing that both my DH and I have noticed is that all ages of people are getting chemo and people (like DH) who have always been very health concious are in getting treatment. You would think that if we are able to put a man on the moon, that they could come up with a cure for cancer. I know that each year, they are getting better and better at the cure rate, but there should be something that would eliminate it entirely. I know that death is 100% but, not this way. Its rough. OK, I'm going to try and get a bit of sleep before the alarm goes off. Thanks for chatting tonight.

Hi Patty Jo,

I had one of those moments when my DD was little. She ate too much spaghetti and later on at some ungodly hour threw up all over herself in bed. It was horrid. My DH picked her up and she covered him as well. Usually I'm on the receiving end so I thought it was really funny. So there I was on my hands & knees cleaning up the mess on the carpet, stripping the bed and smiling to myself, ha ha ha I thought! Then I heard the two of them in the shower having a lovely sing a long and realised that it wasn't funny at all. I was the one still cleaning the mess. Such is life.

Sending big hugs your way. Hope you all get a good nights sleep tonight.

Patty Jo,

I'm sorry to hear you all have had such a rough night. And a long one, no doubt.

Prayers are going out to Bill and to you. I know how difficult this can be. Look forward to the time when he can take a break from the chemo and recooperate.

As for the kitty, I had a kitty that had the opposite problem. She was faaat. We named her Cricket, because when she was a baby she would jump straight up about 3 feet in the air, she was really pretty funny. Then we had her fixed and she gained weight....lots of weight...so people would laugh when I called her by her name. The vet put her on a very strict diet, so for her entire life she ate this very expensive food that you could only buy through a vet's office, and she was still very, very fat. My stepson would laugh every time he came over. I would get on to him and whisper, "she's on a diet!" Like I didn't want her to hear....that would make him laugh more.

As for wishing for thyroid problems....it can go the other way ya know. That would be our luck, instead of being skinny, we would be like my cat....think about it ;)

Yes, Thank God for that sense of humor Patty Jo! Sometimes that's what helps to get us through the tough times! That and prayers! I have a dear friend going through chemo now too... she sings in a choir at a local church.... beautiful God given voice. She even sang at her own wedding... acappella. She was just recently diagnosed with vocal cord cancer.... and the chemo has been doing quite a number on her too...

that is some pretty harsh stuff, but a necesary evil. My prayers go out to you and your DH... may he be on the road to recovery! And kitty too! My cat Otis has been a diabetic for seven years, he was diagnosed when he was only two... I have to bring him in for blood glucose tests evey couple months... not cheap! let alone the darned insulin costs $170.00 bucks a bottle!!! I would tell you how much he's cost me over the last seven years, but you would think I was nuts!!!:P I think I've spent more on him then fabric! YIKES!!! Hopefully you get a nap today, and things are only uphill from here! Prayers are coming your way from Minnesota!!!

Evy

Patty Jo,

LOL I could actually see the humor in it all! I'm sorry Bill was having a rough night and maybe the kitty was giving her sympathy!

My kitty was admitted to the hospital yesterday and I'm waiting to hear what is wrong with her. She has been getting sick since Monday and hadn't eaten or drank much of anything since Sunday. We have no idea what is wrong. I took her to the vet and they thought it was a GI problem, gave her two shots and sent us home. She told me that she would feel better immediately if it was going to work. Well she didn't get better and I took her back in yesterday. They were running tests. I'm sure she is stressed out because she has never been in a kennel. Oh I don't even want to think about how scared she is. She is almost 10 and never been sick. I hope we get good news.

Hang in there and I'll pray Bill gets done with his treatments.

Hi MaryBeth - well if we are going to be like your cat, I at least have a pretty good waddle down. DH woke me up, I was sleeping right thru my alarm. Now off to the hosp for another test. Good Lord, I'm sure they all know us by now cause we've been in every department except maternity - 2 or 3 more jokes came to mind on that one, but I'll just let it go.

Satu - There is nothing like spaghetti the 2nd time around. Yuck. I think I would have joined them in the shower.

Evy - Yes a sense of humor does get us thru a lot. When DH had cancer 6 yrs ago, we laughed our way thru it and we started out that way this time too, but he is not feeling my humor right now, so I have to cool it a bit. I want him still speaking to me afterall.

Heidi, I hope your kitty is ok. You'll have to let us know.

Thanks to all of you for listening to my early morning rambelings.

Patty Jo, I'm thinking of you and praying for "all" of you here in South Dakota. I have been through the kitty experience where after a $438 bill I'm told she should be put down. Yikes!! Hope you can find some more spare $ for Innovations. That type of therapy is so important. Maybe your insurance will cover it. NOT

PattyJo, I am sorry to hear that your Bill is having a tough go of it. I agree with you, if they can put a man on the moon, they should be able to find a cure for Cancer. My Dad went through Chemo last winter, he was 80, and it was really hard on him, and everyone else in the family.You and Bill are in my prayers. Keep your chin up, and your sense of humor in tact. Remember you have a whole other quilty family out there for support. Lots of hugs sent to you across the miles.

Chemo is no picnic. I'm sorry to hear how rough it's being on your DH. Let's pray the results are well worth the effort. Our family always used humor to get through the rough spots. Sometimes you think people are going to think your nuts for laughing at something, but we always figured it's better to be laughing than crying. Everything in life is a choice. You can choose to laugh and relieve the pressure or cry and relieve the pressure. I guess I'd rather be laughing at the sheer riduculousness of a situation.

If I were in your DH's shoes, your sense of humor and ability to laugh at me and with me would be the boon to keep me fighting.

Margie accepts life's down sides with laughter and love while I'm more of a brooder. She's the most perfect wife in the world. I'd be lost without her, and I'm sure Bill feels the same way about you.

Never discount the healing power of laughter!

Mr Margie

Patty Jo,

Oh honey. My imagination is wandering here with you and your kitty barfing on the carpet in the middle of the night, while listening to the opera tenor's voice echoing through the neighborhood, and Viki's post about midnight mopping up the mess caused by the penny jar collapsing on the mousse can in the bathroom... oh goodness...this is too much!

This reminds me of a time when my dog made a mess on the carpet in the house. I was so mad!!!:mad: I was screaming at the dog while mopping up the mess...and while I was on bended knee cleaning up, the dog walks up to me and gives me this big schlurpy smooch on the face and then started smiling (you know how dogs smile...lol). I couldn't be mad any more and I started laughing hysterically. :P

You are right, these are times when we have to have a sense of humor in order to stay somewhat sane.

PS: You are a good "mom" to your kitty; you are a good wife to your DH and you are a good person, so be good to yourself, too. With all that you've gone through you deserve to take some time at Innovations and do some shopping. You deserve this and please do this for you. :)

Patty Jo I'm praying that things change for Bill and the chemo can stop. It is hard on him as well as the family, I know from

experience so my prayers are with you all.

The story about your kitty and the neighbors music and your DH

made me laugh and I could just picture you.......wanting to scream or cry but finding it so hilarious you have to laugh. Some times humor is our best friend and it certainly gets us through some rough times. But coming here and sharing with us is a great way to start a we have the shoulders for you to lean on......mine are here for you anytime. But don't forget to

take care of you too my friend.........;)

Renae

(((hugs))) for both of you and healing prayers for your dh.

At that time of the day, under those circumstances, if you can hang on to your sense of humor, you can do anything!

oh, and one more suggestion....bissel.

a couple years ago, I lost my old dog, but in the meantime, we had a few months of carpet cleaning & trying to care for him, and that machine was worth it's weight in gold.

thank you all for your hugs, comments & prayers. Yes, I do have a bissel as well, just being lazy not wanting to start another project!

We got to the hospital this morning and they drained the fluid off of his abdomen. Not to get too graphic, but DH looked to be about 7 months pregnant. Well, they got 3400 ml or if I've done the math right, the equivalent of about 14 Cups of fluid drained from his abdomen . And he lost an instant 8 lbs. He says that he feels so much better. We may have to do this again, but I'm sure he will go in much sooner.

He came home and went right out to the garage to putter and enjoy the day outside. The Lord is good and we know that He is with us each step of the way. Thanks to all of you for your shoulders that I can lean on. Bless you.:cool:

Patty Jo,

That is wonderful news and I'm glad Bill is doing much better.

They admitted my cat on Thursday morning and she is still in the hospital. She still isn't eating so we're at 6 days now. They are giving her fluids and force feeding her. Normally she would bite their hands off but she isn't really fighting them. We went to visit yesterday and she looked so pathetic. Today she is perkier and the vet said she hissed at her when she came in so that is more like our kitty. She is diabetic! She is also having some problems with her kidneys but the vet said that could be due to the high sugar. Her name is Sugar so it sounds funny to hear she has high sugar. She still is not herself by far but at least she is doing better. We'll have test results by Tuesday I think. I so hate to see her suffer. If she were older I would probably just say no but she is only 9 years old. Hubby is having a very hard time with this. We're just taking it one day at a time.

Heidi

Those little pets of ours have a way of worming their way into our hearts and it is so very hard to know what to do. We had a little cocker and finially had to have her put down at age 18. That was tuff thing to have to do, but when we considered her quality of life, we needed to do it.

Our little kitty is 12, so a bit older than Sugar, but as the Vet said, she has another 8 to 10 years left if we keep her in good health. When our son found her, she was a ferral kitten whose eyes weren't even open. His wife found her in the parking lot of where she worked and evidently momma cat dropped her as she was all by herself. So DH says that her life has been way better than it would have been if she hadn't been found. I agree with him, but right now I don't want to loose her. Too much is going on right now to contemplate that also.

She didn't do as well as DH last night. Still getting sick, but it's clear liquid. Anyway, we are still monitoring her food intake and water trying to find the magic combination to help her not to get sick. I'm hopeing that by changing her food, she will get over this every night business.

OK, now I've got to get a quilt on the machine. I've procrastinated long enough. :cool:

Archived