An enlightening moment

I was having a discussion with DH and he wanted to know why the clear thread is called monopoly. I told him I didn't know. Then he chimes in "Oh, I get it, mono-poly". Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. I have been calling it monopoly, like the game. Is it pronounced mono-poly, or monopoly like the game. Wouldn't want to look foolish any more than I have to. :cool:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:D:P...oh wait...who am I to laugh...something like that could happen to me at any time. My DBIL was talking about a pnumatic and pronounced it pumatic...:o At first I looked at him like he was joking...but he wasn't. I never corrected him, because of course I am a woman and we don't know about tools...but DH and I laugh about it all the time.

Peg it isn't as bad as my mother. She was called to tell me that she got "Chlamydia" to plant in the yard and then follows up to say she was out "humping" in the front yard! After laughing until I cried I explained to her that she had gotten clematis (really pretty plant that grows well in the northeast) and that shouldn't be telling people that she is humping in the front yard! My father was in the Army and used to say they were going out for a 5 miles hump and I don't know if that is just military lingo but she thought that if she was out walking and working out that was the same thing! LOL I still laugh about it!

Heidi.....:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Peggy....... something I would say......... my friends call them Megism's (my friends are just as crazy as I am because they can always understand what I am saying........ or maybe they have been around me too long:P:P and expect the unexpected to come out of my mouth)

I wrote something yesterday, but it didn't stick...bummer.

When I was working in the quilting store in Reno, there was a lady clerk there that couldn't pronounce a certain word...nothing wrong with her speech etc, so I just thought she was being funny like I sometimes do because I can and I love to mess with some people's mines by screwing up words....

Her word was Motif....you said it right when you saw it right....:P:P:P

She would always say it as MOFF-IT...

and working with Embroidery machines as they also sold embroidery machines...she was Moffitting things all day....after awhile I finally asked her what Motif was she working on that day...she had never heard it pronounced correctly...so didn't know what I was asking for.

I guess you could have driven a truck into my mouth, they all said my face was funnier than her moffitting things up....

So now in my little world I have Moffits as well...but have to remember when I go out into the big world, they are Motifs.

Oh my, my belly hurts from laughing.. Heidi, you have to prounouce that first word, the one she used for clematis,, at camp.. I can't imagine.

I often get tickled, but have yet to say anything when someone calls a highway meëd EAN", a "mee dEna"... I think of Lake Medina in Tex... when I hear it.

or difficulties prounounced difUUUkulties.

RitaR clematis...ROFLMHO

Rita,

Yup I'll do the whole thing for you at camp...make sure your wearing Depends cause I'm telling you it is hilarious! The funnier thing was explaining to her what she was actually saying...she is very proper and you know you don't ever talk about things like that...ROFLMAO!!!! Still makes me bust out laughing! I was on the phone with her at work and then she was mortified that I told everybody at work! LOL what do you think she'll say if I posted it on a message board!!!!! I always tell her I use it when we all need a great laugh!

Here's my story, but it wasn't me that said it. When I was in high school (oh so many years ago), we often hosted exchange students through AFS. We'd have a sibling from another country stay with us for the year, and they had many friends through the program that we got to know as well. It's the end of the year, people are going back home in a couple of weeks, and my sister decides to have a farewell party at our house. Sweet guy from Sweden comes up and says to my mom "Thank you for your hostility." Mom quietly corrects him that the word is "hospitality" He responds "Oh no! I've been saying that all year!"

So please, when I'm misprounoucing something, or have toilet paper stuck to my shoe, or something equally embarrasing, let me know so I can fix it! Thanks to everyone for the laughs, although I had to read the one about the median twice to figure out the correct pronunciation. Still haven't figured out the other one.

Beth

Sorry 'bout the "Bushisms", but people from WEST Texas part-time and Maine part-time must get very confused about how to pronounce anything! I grew up in the deep EAST Texas piney woods, and we have a southern drawl more like people from Alabama, we lived there 3 years and most people thought I was local. My husband is from Missouri, and works at the nuclear plant here, and it does make him see red when he hears it mis-pronounced.

Laura in Texas

And here I was thinking all this time that monopoly was a new trade name for a new thread, much like Signature's Pixelles, Trilobal, etc. You even had me pronouncing it like the game.:P

They make a distinction between Nylon and Polyester in the invisible thread. One of them doesn't melt when ironed. The other does. Now I can't remember which is which????

Archived