MARKING QUILTS - thought I would share

Since my little booboo with the heat from the lights in my studio I have been on a quest to find a marking devise that will not or should not be effected by heat or by the UV rays from a over head lights...Halogen or Floresent Each one of these pencils were used to scribble on a white and on an ivory both with tone on tone effects and they were scribbled to the point of blacking out some of the areas and some were very faint...I'm sorry I didn't think to take a picture before I threw it into the wash, but I can show if you wish a the fabric now that its been washed....

The first pencil is a NON-PHOTO pencil that you can get at any office supply store that sells art supplies or you can get it at any art supply store...these pencil are used to correct papers and when photographed they do not show the pen marks...

The next two are General brand pencils...the top one is a Layout pencil also used in advertising or for someone who lays out newletters....the other one is a Sketch and Wash pencil...these are used to sketch and then you can take a paint brush to wash out the marks to get a blended effect (got both at Ben Franklin's or a art supply store)

The next I got in the art supply section of Michaels....The whole pencil is a graphit....

The next I got from Universal Sewing Supply...someone commented on this company last week and ordered several thing...one being this product...it comes in Red, Blue and Green...this is the Green one and you will need to get a special pencil sharpener for it...mine I have didn't work very well, but it a very hard lead and will hold a point very well.

ALL OF these washed out wonderfully from the white fabric...I am so looking forward to marking my next quilt....and knowing that it should totally wash out....I just used a normal warm water and my regular clothes soap which this time it just happened to be Tide...I get what on sale at the time :P

<a  href=2920188190091819759S425x425Q85.jpg' alt=

Thanks for doing all the research Bonnie. I have a graphite pencil I got at PIQF last year but I've been afraid to use it to mark a quilt. I have used it to draw a line across squares for half square triangles and I really like how easy it is to use. I.E. You don't have to press very hard.

Holly

Bonnie I found something new that I like for marking better then anything else I have ever use and that is the new Sewline mechanical pencils. They come in different colors and you can mark very lightly or make the mark dark and use a color that is right for the fabric color you want to mark. You can change the lead........there is pink, yellow, gray, white, I think green, blue and I believe more colors available. You can even erase the mark with the eraser. It is cool! You can refill it and you can replace the eraser too. I get mine at my LQS.

Renae

Bonnie! it was great to chat with you tonite! Thanks for posting all the different marking pencils, I really need that. the quilt I just finished I had marked with the blue wash out pen, and I used the baking soda and water mixture.... It ALL came out! None on the back either! WOW!

I will try some of these others.

Renae, I have one of the sewline mechanical pencils, and it's good, but for me the line is too light. I really have to be able to see the lines to quilt on them... OR get better glasses! Hmmm let's see.... what should I do? Hmmmm pencil - $5 - glasses $300+.... hmmmm.

Thanks for the info from both of you!!!

Thanks Bonnie -- I think I will try some of those

The new Sewline pencils are great -- we have re-stocked our display 5 times -- i even have sent some to Heidi M -- (I have not forgotten about the other to send Heidi -- just waiting for more to come in)

I did have a problem with the gray color -- it came out of the fabric fine but it stained my Bottom Line thread. I can see just a little gray where the thread sewed through the color line -- i tried several things to get it out -- luckily it is a shop sample.

Sandra

I took a class from Linda Taylor at MQS. She suggested Crayola washable markers for kids and that is what she uses. Haven't tried it but don't know why it wouldn't work just fine too. They do come in a fine tip and a wide tip.

I thought I would buy some and run a test sample.

Cheryl

Originally posted by AnnHenry

Originally posted by Bonnie

Since my little booboo with the heat from the lights in my studio . . .

Bonnie, please post the link you are referring to . . .

Here Ann is the link you ask for....http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=12219&page=1#pid118871

Kids wash outs are a good product if you plan to mark and be able to wash within just a few hours of marking....I have seen several that marked and left in for even a week and they could not get the marks out...so I have NEVER even tried. Sometimes if you mark and need to go to something else and not get back to that quilt for severl days or weeks...yikes, I don't know. Please others if you have left them in for over a week or even a month what were your results? I know if you can get it done in a couple of days its okay, but for those of us who might need a week to finish something what were the results?

I was just able to find the Sewline fabric pencil finally here in Albany at the "Flying Geese Fabrics"....have not been able to try them out yet...but did get the pencil, with white lead, and some additional pink. Was hoping for a very fine line, but todate haven't tried it yet....

I personally was looking for something that I don't have to erase each line as I go...I want something that the wash will totally take out. ALL these answers maybe what I'm looking for. HAVE a great holiday.

I use the crayola washables without a problem. I found all the colors to wash out. Last week I accidently ironed over some of the lines and they still washed out.

Thanks for the info Bonnie, I have a craftstore within walking distance from my house so I'm out to buy some new markers. The crayola's are great but sometimes I need thin lines which don't happen with the markers.

Those of you who get "Unlimited Possibilities" have probably seen the article by Shirley Stutz about marking tools - worth the reading!

And I bought one of the Sewline pencils from my LQS owner - she's a longarmer and is familiar with our marking issues. She tried it on several types of fabric - light, dark, densely woven, etc. - and says they all come out, either with the matching eraser or with washing later. She says they are as close to perfect for longarmers as she has found. I haven't had a chance to try mine yet - too many freehand quilts in the pipe! But will report back....

Thanks Bonnie.

I have recently discovered, by accident, a new product that I also like very much. It is a blue pencil, but not the one you showed. It is distributed by Clover, but has only Japanese writing on it. It goes on a nice light blue that shows up on most fabrics, has a nice soft "lead", & wipes off with a spritz of water or a damp cloth, like the blue pens only better. I got them from JoAnn's online, thinking I was ordering the pens, but these came instead. I went to a JoAnn's store on my recent trip to California, & they did not carry them, so maybe they are only available online.

I have used the Crayola markers a lot, have only once had trouble getting it out in the regular wash, & that came out easily with a little "Spray & Wash". You do have to wash the quilt, as soon as you can.

Thanks for all the work and time it took you do all this and then share it with us Bonnie.. I have several different markers.. but don't seem to have any that are heat irritated..

this will be a good link or thread to save for future reference.

RitaR

Thanks, Bonnie, for all this information and the link.

I am surprised that there are so many markers out there. I have been looking for references to the blue wash out pen which I have used exclusively for at least 15 years without problems. Because this blue pen works so well for me, I am wondering what there is about it that others don't like to the point that others are searching for, and manufacturers are creating, so very very many other markers. What am I missing? I think I will make this a new topic . . .

Archived