Quilts

I have been totaly unsuccessful in posting pictures. I have taken pictures of some quilts and put on our photo storage website if anyone is interested. There are two albums

I have purchased old quilt tops on ebay and practices this first year on these quilts. I've come a long way!

Then, I have done several quilts of my own most recently.

Website www.fotki.com/hcain/holly-quilting-1 Click on the photo and it will enlarge.

thanks for looking!

One thing about the quilts on Ebay is that you never know what they will look like in person. I have REALLY learned how to handle some problems....not perfectly, but I figured some things out. It is really nice to work on quilts that are well done, with straight lines and points that are there!

*Most don't have any straight lines, so you're shifting fabric to get it as straight as possible

*The points are not always very sharp which significantly impacts SID or pumpkin seed.

*There are often little tears or small open seams...how do you handle that in the middle of a quilt. Because these were EBay quilts and I wasn't going to take them off the Millie, I used thread to close the opening. It was like darning in some cases...but these quilts are precious because of the history.

*The dirtiest quilt is a swan in disguise.

* Oxyclean can fix anything! Three washes is the magic word.

* Hand stitched is a challenge. Any movement of the fabric may cause the seam stitching to show.

*The edges are almost never straight...most of the time, I have cut it straight rather than follow the pattern on a really bad quilt.

* Some of the fabric is awful, very coarse. I decided to stablize the quilt and use just straight lines which have a certain charm when finished and the quilt can be used.

* It is amazing to me the quilt from the 1890's that I did, have to post that one yet. The madder dyes had eaten holes in the fabric, but the quilt was otherwise so well constructed. I replaced two blocks with new fabric that worked and did a quilting design over the olde fabrics that were weak that would stabilize them and the quilt is washed and withstands use.

Love to work on these old quilts and give them a life they never had because they had not been finished. I have gotten a bit more savvy when buying on Ebay to look at the seams as best as possible and don't hesitate to contact the seller with questions.

Now, I have to figure out a way to sell some of the better quilts and I will give some of the others to women's shelters...they are good utilitarian quilts. Maybe I'll be famous some day and a Holly quilt will be dragging around the streets somewhere.

I have 150 or more quilts in the house and my kids who are in their 20's are telling me they are going to give my quilts to the homeless of St. Paul when I am dead and gone...I'll haunt them! Gotta laugh. Sorry for being so wordy.

Oh Holly! That is funny!! I have bought just a few items off of ebay, have not been on there for a long time now....

Questions: If you have blocks - do you wash those first before putting together?

Same with a quilt top - would you wash it first before quilting?

I worry about those all of those raw edges, and not sure what to do with these great items I have!!! One set of blocks I have are hand embroidery with yellow thread, some Grandmother's flower Garden Blocks and a quilt top with awesome blocks - and bubble-gum pink setting blocks......

Guest Linda S

Beautiful quilting and great quilts Holly! I particularly love the first big star quilt. Any idea what that pattern is? I'd love to make one of those. Thanks for sharing your pictures. You did a fine job of quilting those.

Linda

Holly, I've probably bid against you on a couple of these tops! I remember them! I also like to buy old tops off ebay once in a while to play on. The ones I like, I keep. The not so good ones I donate directly or give to my guild for their quilt auction. They raise money to purchase fabric and make kits for members to put together and then donate the quilts to charities. It all works out in the end. Lovely tops and quilting! I think you've got a good collection going!

Judi, never wash the blocks or quilt before you quilt it. I tried that once and had holes and threads everywhere. Sometimes the quilts aren't too clean, just throw them in the wash with oxyclean when you are done, I have found that three washes really gets out all the stains.

One wedding ring picture that I am posting today was so mildewed and brown it looked a lost cause, three washes later, the result is a keeper...I unfortunately put a really awful back on the quilt...pieces left from other quilts because I thought it was beyond redemption and the result was old and soft.

Linda, the star pattern was from an old book, when I was finished I ripped out the pattern and gave it to someone who wanted it and I'd never make another...it is all 1/2 square triangles 80 inches square. I added 4-6 extra rows all around to make it bed size. I have a very hard time making quilts that don't fit the bed. I'm from ND and you have to be practical, what use is a quilt that doesn't fit a bed (LOL)?

Anyway the book is "the Best of Scrap Quilting Made Easy" (oxymoron) published by the House of White Birches, published in 2002, name of the pattern is "Exploding Star"

Okay, inquiring minds want to know. How do you get any quilting done when you obviously spend alot of time on Ebay, lol.

Seriously, though, your quilting is appropriate for the quilts and their age. You should try and sell them and then give the money to the homeless shelter of YOUR choice, and be sure to leave the receipt laying around where the kids can see it!!

Archived