Purple/Blue/Green Quilt (quilted with basketweave stencil)

OK, you all were interested in seeing the other quilt when I was done with it. Just got it finished today. I took Sheri Butler's and Pat Noonan's advice and did the basket weave stencil in the background of applique flowers. this was my first time doing a basket weave and it sure ain't perfect but it's OK. I think it looks nice.

Thanks ladies for encouraging me to try a new technique I had not done before. Next time I do a basket weave I will have more confidence and know what to expect. :)

post--13461900610618_thumb.jpg

This quilt had "the wonky borders from Hell" and I tried my best to use BFSSM on it but still had some B and C cups. I will tell my customer that her outer borders were not square (inside blocks were fine) and that I had to quilt a little bit of fullness and tried my best to avoid a few pleats in the top border and side borders. UGH!!! :(

post--13461900610916_thumb.jpg

OMG sis! WOW! It's beautiful!~ It DOES look like the flowers are on the trellis!

I know the basketweave thing is something that you "work with it"....but, once you get going, you do get mighty faster and better at it!

I think it's just awsome honey!

But, then again, you always do such neat work!

The cool thing about these two quilts is they were both made by two of my fellow guild members and these two ladies are great friends (and neighbors to each other). I think it was a good idea (thank you) to do something a little different so they can see what a difference in style can do to the overall look of the quilt.

Thanks again everyone for your terrific advice and feedback!!! I appreciate you all very much.

Fabulous job Shana.;):P I love the quilt and what you have done has made it beautiful. I agree about the Rainbow threads. A gal here recommended I try it and really like it though I do have to go a bit slower. Paired mine with Highlights. Really pretty colors!!!!!!

Did you backtack all those stops and starts or bury the billions of threads? Am getting ready to try cross-hatching and have been wonder what I should really do. I will be using Sew Fine top and bottom - I think. The quilt will be a gift but don't have to do show quality but of course want it to look as good as I can. What is your advise?? thanks.

PS - could you post a picture of the back - I love to see backs of quilts - sometimes my favorite part!!!!

Shanna,

It's beautiful!!! I like it better than the other one. The basket weave makes the blocks/quilt. What stencil did you use? And when you say you had a lot of stops and starts, what did you do for all those stops and starts:) Did you mark the stencil and with what? What did you put in the squares of the weave? You did a beautiful job and have inspired me to try a basket weave. Thanks for showing!

Dear Shana, what is your secret? How do you decide what to put where? Those little clam shells in the four-patch are sweet, and your feathers are very nice. The basket weave is admirable--great application. How do you keep from tracking over where you shouldn't? and going around the flower. . .you did good! I'm a little perturbed with crosshatching and basketweave because of the tie offs. On my Super Quilter I stitched around the applique and back on the crosshatching so I didn't have to tie off. It was fun to do one continuous line. But I realize there are places where it just doesn't work. And that makes it a lot of work! Good for you for sticking to it. You'll be able to do that on your show quilt for MQS 2009, right?:)

Great job Shana. I hope that I can do as well with my basket weave stencil that I have. I'll have to pull out some muslin to practice first. I agree with the others here, your skills have sure improved over the past months. You are a gifted quilter with some amazing talent. You go girlfriend:cool:

Archived