Squabble

Sylvia,

There are those in my area too but I just blissfully ignore them. I have a group that gets together and not all of them own an APQS and we have a blast. I really want to get a group together from the forum but time is not helping me at the moment. Maybe after the weddings are over next year I'll have time to get something going. My feeling is that if somebody has to poo-poo on you just because you dance with a different machine then they are just insecure with theirs.

I know of only one VERY NASTY LAer in my area-And she likes to backstab and cause trouble for EVERYONE!!! (The former partner of the current owner of the LQS I work at! Remember all that drama??) She has burned everyone in this guild and has moved on to do more damage to a nieghboring guild. Tho most there are allready aware of her. We do get squabbling within our guild and it allways seems to be the same women!! I don't think people are envious of other LA machines-We all bought what we love, could afford, have room for etc.! I think people that are like those you mentioned are always going to be like that!! Once the LA commotion settles down I'll bet they start up on another "topic de jour" to B**** about- to draw attention to themselves to make them appear to say "Hey look at me - I am better than all of you" I personnaly choose to ignore them and let others see them (eventually) for what they really are!

We are just starting a LA group in my area. I'm looking forward to finding out more about what brands each of the ladies are using and how they came to start LA'ing in the first place.

We know each other from quilt guild already, but this will let us share ideas on LA stuff. So far everyone has been helpful and friendly, I don't imagine that will change as we get together in a smaller, more focussed group.

We have myself and Grammie in our county that own our Millie's.

there is a lady in Penrose that has been doing LAing since 2002 and her reason for quilting in far more superior than the almighty dollar. She has a great customer base and once again her reason for quilting would bring a tear to the hardest person eyes. She has never been disgruntled or hateful to anyone that i know of!

I haven't met any others, but i know they are out there!

no worries no problems and definitely no cat-i-ness. Now the quilters in my county can be snots, but hey, i say go blew ur nose and be done with it!:P

If you need any help with great-but not snotty-comebacks just give me or Grammie a call! She is SOOOOOOO good at killing 'em with kindness!;)

I made myself a rule a long time ago and that was not to mingle or associate with negative people that pull me down or gossip. I just turn and run the other way and then I seek and surround myself with positive supportive people. If there's no one to run to then I always have myself. I am happy being with myself, too. Fortunately, I have a lot of happy positive people to surround me.

Women are weird and clique-ish, aren't they? I don't like cliques. I have never belonged to one. Men are not like this. They don't do the clique thing. Not in their nature. I don't like to be bothered with people who are exclusive.

Shana, you got it right on the head. When I worked for a huge law firm I made up my mind that I would NOT get involved with the cattiness women like to pull. 200 legal secretaries and assistants. Are you kidding me??:D:D I pulled it off. Stayed out of the cat fights. Never took sides. Was friendly and happy with everyone. When I left they threw me a big party. Usually, when someone left it was like "good riddance". I felt good about that. When I moved back to that area, I was welcomed back to the firm with open arms. Could have been a whole 'nother story, right?

I stay focused here on how great it is to have friends all over the world. To have someone to vent to if needed and to share and love each other without reservation. Thank you all for being my extended friends and family.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Nancy

I stay in my little world pretty much too.

I go to a group of quilters/piecers occasionally. It's a lovely group of ladies who get together to sew for themselves and each other. They have a "kitty" for the sole purpose of collecting fines from anyone who says anything bad about someone else, or swears, or otherwise is not nice. Each person is responsible for "policing" the group. It sure was nice the few times I've been. One lady put a twenty dollar bill in the kitty and said, "I know I'm going to slip up, so this will cover those times when I do." :P

My focus is always on "quilty stuff" and never mind the attitudes and contrary opinions.

Originally posted by Gator

We have some snobs in my area, I think that they're afraid of loosing customers. I have friends that have the other machine and are friendly, but I have found some that were very rude and roll their eyes when I tell them my machine is APQS.

:P:P:P

I gotta laugh at this.

Think about it: If you were at a quilt show and there were 200 quilts hanging. Just by looking at the quilt could you tell which ones were quilted on an APQS? Which ones were quilted on a Gammill? A-1? Another brand? Not me! It's not what you drive, it's how you drive it that matters.

Nuff said! :D

PS: I belong to a longarmer guild up here. Me and one other lady have APQS. One has A-1 and the other longarmers have Gammill. Not a big deal at all. We all appreciate eachother and support network as fellow longarmers and I am glad to know we have a fun positive group. In fact, when we make orders for thread or batting, we all do it together in bulk to save $$ on shipping! :)

Originally posted by GramieSnooks

......and quilting is the thread that binds us together.

Oh! Well, I thought it was the thread the binds the quilt together! (lol! :D just kidding!)

I wish I could live closer then I could be part of the thread that binds, too.

PS: Bev, I love your pretty smile in that new avatar photo. :)

So Shana,

What's it gonna take to get you down here to one of our meetings??? I'll buy you a glass of wine.....;););) Praise your quilting.....;););););) Take you shopping......

So tell me girlfriend, whats it gonna take?? You should meet Bev in person. Nicest person ever. And that hubby of hers, oh so talented. And Bekah with the heart of gold, and BrendaLee with her infectious laugh and Patty Jo with her strength and and and so many others I can't even think of them all. Beth, Linda, Boni, Linda, Nora, Melora, the list just keeps on going. Each as good as gold. :):):):) Our next meeting is at BrendaLee's unless that changed. You really should come on down.:P:P:P:P

Nancy

I only had one lady in my quilt guild look down her nose when I said I bought an APQS machine. She bought a new Nolting a few months before I bought a used Liberty back in April. I don't know what her reasons are, so I just try not to sit near her at meetings. She only quilts as a hobby, too (as I also do), so it has nothing to do with a perception of me taking away some of her business. The other longarmers, and I think there are 12 - 14 in my quilt guild, really haven't said much of anything about me buying a machine. There are some other ladies who have tried to give me their quilts to "practice" on, but I said I needed more practice on my own before I would feel comfortable quilting theirs :P

I am hoping to join a longarm group that has not actually started yet. We have some very tentative plans to meet sometime this month to see if we can start one. I am really excited about that prospect.

When I first got my Ult 1 a gal I was only acquainted with became a good friend and literally drove to the LQS's in our area to introduce me to the owners and have me show my work... I am deeply indebted to her and She's a very busy longarmer! She always makes time for me or whomever needs questions answered, etc! We are additionally in a group of over 50 machine quilters who help each other.

Shana - sure wish you were closer to here too! We'd love to have ya!

Call me crazy but I agree with Shana. It doesn't matter which machine someone chooses. I know I'm new to this, but I go to a lot of quilt shows.. and I can't tell what machine was used. And further more, I don't care. I just love looking at all the beautiful quilts and appreciate the art that is displayed!!! There are some unbelievably talented quilters out there. I just focus on the beauty;)

I never realized there were quilt snobs out there until I started shopping for a longarm machine. I was truly amazed! In fact, there is a well known quilter that I met who made a rude comment to my face about the brand of machine I have. Needless to say, I will never take a class from this person because of that. Shana is right. You cannot tell what type of machine someone used on a quilt in a quilt show. When it comes right down to it, they all do the same thing.

No squabbles in my area. We don't work together on learning new things which is a bummer but everyone is pleasant to one another. Would be nice to have a local group to meet with. There are so many that have machines for their use in our guild that it would be nice to get together with people who share a 'common language' and passion. Oh well, not like I don't have a very busy life as it is!!! So I had better be careful what I wish for...

I'd like to know why anybody would want to make such a comment. The machine is not just a name. It DOES something---quilt, sew, hold fabric together in a beautiful way. Since when do we lower ourselves to a child's mentality and say that "My daddy is bigger than your daddy,'' or "My daddy can beat up your daddy."?

Have we ever gotten into arguments about what kind of car we drove to the guild meeting, or what type of transportation we chose to go to a convention?

It's all silliness, and immaturity. "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child. . ."(God)

Let's move it up a notch, get on with life, help our fellowman, and "Be ye kind one to another."(also God)

Archived