Head on collision Christmas night - We're Home!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Debbi. :o :o Oh my I can't believe this awful news but I am glad you all are going to be OK!!! I am so sorry. Regarding that citation, perhaps the cop had no choice but to site your stepdad in the accident, but please tell your dad that with the investigation all the dust will settle and the truth will come out. He can (he should) contest the citation and let the court make the final decision on the accident. Hire an attorney to make sure your rights and all bases are covered. Give him a hug and tell him it's not his fault. It was an accident. Everyone in your family is OK. Good things will come from this bad thing. Good things have already come from it. :) (((hugs))) Shana

Debbi - If you can - Get a Lawyer! I agree with Shana. Most personal injury Lawyers around here, do not charge you a fee unless you win your case.

My experience with an older driver that smashed into my car - because his heart stopped - he and State Farm Insurance claimed that it was "An Act of God" So they did not have to be held responsible..... in court the Judge kept asking "Who was driving the car?". They kept saying "No one"..... this went on and on till the Judge asked if anyone else was in the car - "no".... they were ordered to pay for the repairs to my car.

Good Luck and keep us posted - we do care!! :):)

I'll add my sister-in-law to my prayer request. She is still pretty traumatized. She broke down tonight, cried and cried. She is feeling guilty because she was thrown into my side (I didn't know what it was until tonight), bruising my ribs, and that threw me forward into the head rest. Accident's happen, but it's hard to get other to realize that when they think they are responsible for someone else's injuries.

Thanks again for all the well wishes!!

BTW - Someone said something about being seen by a doctor. We were all taken to the emergency room and seen right away to make sure there were no broken bones, internal injuries, etc. and then sent home after about 3 hours. Thanks for the concern!!

Debbi

Guest Linda S

Debbi - I'm so sorry to hear about the accident, but am so pleased that none of you have serious injuries. You had some kind of guardian angel watching over all of you that night. God bless you and continue to protect you.

Linda

I join in prayers for all your quick recoveries, the Lord, He is in charge if we allow Him.

Corey

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sister, Sister

APQS Millenium

Longarm Quilting-

We are all starting to feel better today. My face is now a bunch of pretty colors!!:D:D Mom is even worse and she won't go out without a pair of dark sunglasses. :cool::cool: It will be kinda funny going home when we all walk into a restaurant with bruises and stitches and bandaids. :P:P

Thanks again for all the well wishes and hugs. Keep praying for my stepdad and sister-in-law. It will take time for both of them to recover emotionally.

I saw the van yesterday from a distance. Unbelievable. It was definitely a God thing that any of us survived. I'll see it close up tomorrow. There will probably be a bunch of tears from all of us all over again, but they will be good tears this time.

Later,

Debbi

Debbi,

We just returned this evening from Iowa. When we went past the Altoona exit I thought of you and said, "My friend Debbi lives around here somewhere!" I think DH is sick of hearing that every time we go through :D

I'm so sorry to hear of your accident, but glad to hear that everyone is alright. I think your Step-dad should fight the ticket....but that is just me.

It does sound like someone was watching out for you!!

Hope you all get to feeling better soon.

Debbi--- It's pretty natural for your stepdad to have the feeling he has right now. My DD had an accident with her brother in the car. No one was hurt but she said she would NEVER drive again. She was really shook up. Went to bed for a couple days!! She was only 17 so 'never' was a long time. Just a couple days later we had to drive from Atlanta GA to Dayton OH. I was getting sleepy and couldn't safely drive anymore so was going to pull into a McDonalds and sleep for a while since she wasn't ever going to drive!!! She said, "Fine, I'll drive!!" That got her over the hump and she's been a great driver ever since-- about 18 years!! Your stepdad will get his confidence back and be his old self soon. I agree with everyone that he should fight the ticket!!! There is no reason he should take the fall for a drunk guy!!! Best of luck and remember dark glasses are for rock stars too!!!

Guest Linda S

Aw Debbi - the thing about accidents is, you never know how long it takes until all the injuries come out, be it physical or emotional. I'm so sorry to hear about family members feeling guilty, etc. Accidents are just that -- accidents. It does seem the other guy, who was speeding and intoxicated, should have been the one to get the ticket. You're all in my prayers.

Linda

Debbi;

Just catching up on all the APQS family news from the long holiday.....I was shocked to hear your story, but so very, very glad it has turned out everyone is okay. Time will heal the emotional part as well as the physical bruises....being an insurance agent I always tell folks that it is easy to replace that silly automobile, but not a person. So glad you will soon be on your way home to Iowa...I'm sure everyone will feel better once they get to their own homes and back to routine!

God be with you all.

Sharon

We are headed back home tomorrow. Pray for safe travels!!

I saw the van close up today. Beyond words. The head rest that I hit was bent forward. Seems funny that you could hit something like that hard enough with your face to bend it forward. I'm not sure what it says about me. Maybe pretty hard-headed?? :P:P

We went out and ran a few errands this morning. I was holding my breath going through any intersection. It was scary!! I'm sure it will pass in time.

Thanks again for all the well wishes. I'll let you all know when we get home safe and sound. I'm anxious to see my Nadia and sleep in my own bed. Although, at the moment, it takes me 4-5 hours to fall asleep and then my mind just replays it over and over again and I stay asleep for about an hour. I'm sure this will also pass in time. Hopefully soon, I'm tired!!

Later,

Debbi

Hi Debbi,

good to hear you are all healing. Yes the sleeping will get easier, once your head has dealt with the accident. Brains can take a while to catch up. Yes the intersection will get less scary.

I've been in a few nasty accidents. The most lasting effect is the frustration with people who won't wear seatbelts, and those who drive like they are immortal. Even if they are, the rest of us aren't.

Headrests are designed to bend just before you really hurt yourself. They need to stop you, so you don't hurt the person in front but they must eventually yield to save you. Sounds like your car did it's job wonderfully. Oh I guess that is the other lasting effect of accidents, I drive cars with large crumple zones, and from choice I would have race harnesses fitted in all our vehicles.

Take care of yourself. I hope the blame all comes out in the end.

Ferret

Debbi so sorry to read about this accident but praising God that you are all alive and pretty okay. You certainly had His hand on your car.

Make sure your step-dad fights that ticket. It sounds like the police officer cited the wrong person.

hope you made it home safely. Give yourself time to heal emotionally from all of this. it will get easier to go through intersections as time goes on.

Archived