My wrinkle on machine binding

I have been binding my quilts by machine for the last several years--binding applied to back of quilt, brought forward, and stitched down from the front. Those results were less than esthetic, so I was open to a new method.

I liked Sharon Schamber's idea of sewing from the front for a back-finished binding, but the glue step didn't seem to be that much of a time saver, so I changed from glue basting to hand basting the binding from the front with water soluble thread. The first time I did it, I put the basting stitches right next to the binding, and that was a mistake because the machine stitching didn't catch all the binding on the back, and I ended up finishing a lot of it by hand. The next time I did it, I sewed the basting stitch about 1/16th inch in from the binding seam and then stitched between the basting stitch and the binding seam, and it caught all the binding on the back.

Enjoying that hand work while basting made me think that I wanted to do a binding by hand once again, and I did so on my last baby quilt. It took me almost eight hours! I was reminded why I been machine binding my quilts all these years!

Another trick: Stitch the binding on the front as always. Pull your binding around back and pin it just past the stitching line. Then used your stitch-in-the-ditch foot to stitch from the front of the quilt! Pretty and turns out well every time. Of course you wouldn't want to do this on show quilts but all the others - Oo - la - la!:D

I mainly bind my quilts on my power head machine. I apply the folded binding to the front and turn it to the back and pin it all around mostly rounding corners (did not like the way mitered corners stickout) then I can either stitch in the ditch on the right side using a zipper foot or I have done a few that were hand quilted by hand stitching the binding on the back. I have bought two different binding tools at quilt shows, so far I have not been successful getting them to do a good job. They cost about $100.00 each from the Martelli booth at the shows. I will keep trying to use them.

I make a lot of bed quilts and baby quilts for myself and family. I usually machine sew the binding to the back and fold it over to the front. I miter the corners and machine stitch the binding to the front. I mostly always use the feather stitch on my Bernina. It is # 149. These are "utility" quilts, certainly NOT show quilts. They will be pulled, tugged and machine washed, I decided machine sewing the binding to the front worked well for me.

When I make wall hangings and table runners, that type of thing, I will hand stitch my binding. I enjoy hand sewing, but for my utility quilts, machine binding works best.

Now I don't feel so bad since it takes me 8 hours to hand stitch a binding. My mom could sew the prettiest bindings by machine. I am not that good and I think I am actually getting worse instead of better.

We have several quilts that have the binding sewn on, but not whipped down, that we use ALL the time. I just really do not like hand work.

Oh, well, it works.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

Another trick: Stitch the binding on the front as always. Pull your binding around back and pin it just past the stitching line. Then used your stitch-in-the-ditch foot to stitch from the front of the quilt! Pretty and turns out well every time. Of course you wouldn't want to do this on show quilts but all the others - Oo - la - la!:D

Sylvia this is a great idea using the pins. I am going to try it. I always machine stitch my bindings.

Oh and I learned something about bindings and show quilts. Guess what? It is OK to machine stitch your bindings. Last year's NQA judge at MQS says it doesn't matter if its by machine or by hand as long as the end result is nice. :) In fact, I was there in the judging room at MQS last year assisting and they had several machine binded quilts. The judges did not ding for this. In fact, all of the machine binded quilts looked very pretty!

I machine stitch the binding to the front...hand stitch it down on the back...with mitered corners. I make my binding 1-3/4" wide and on the bias for a single fold binding. I do this on most of my quilts. Some that I bind have single fold binding stitched to the back...then turned to the front and topstitched. Depends on the use of the quilt. For charity quilts or baby quilts...I almost always do the topstitch method. These quilts see more washing and are 'loved' more than other quilts I make. A friend sold me on making single fold binding. The majority of her antique quilts used it and the biding has outlasted the quilt! Uses less fabric too. And at $9-10/yard...we all benefit from using less fabric...IMHO.

Ok you guys are going to think I am strange but I don't mind doing my binding. I machine stitch to front then hand stitch to the back. It gives me an excuse to plop down on the couch or chair and watch a movie, mostly the chick flicks I can finish a twin size binding in one evening a king size takes me 2 evenings.

I am okay with machine sewn bindings on utility quilts, but I am not good enough to put them on bindings for shows. I saw a new method which I have not tried yet that uses a piping on the inside of the binding and somehow it machine stitched completely. Has anyone tried this or can explain how it works. I have seen them and they look lovely.

Jeanne,

What you described is the way I have done all my bindings for the last 18 months. It works well for me, it's quick, and it's permanent. I finished the binding on the quilt for Patty Jo last fall in less than three hours, start to finish.

Take a look at the handout - if it's not clear to you, feel free to e-mail me and I'll send you a better copy and a sample of the binding.

me too barb

I have been looking for some written instructions of how to do that. there is a video on it but you almost have to watch it everytime you do it from what I have been told. I forget who had the video, it was a man quilter I believe. Thank you so much I saved the file and will look it over and give it a try. Like I said the bindings I have seen done in this way look very professional and I believe would be acceptable in a show. Is that correct Barb? would you thinks so? Thanks for posting the file, I think many would be interested in trying it out. Jeanne

Jeanne, you're welcome, and according to Shana's experience with the judges (listed earlier in this thread), I think it would probably be acceptable, at least to MQS, as long as it was done properly.

And Shana, I'm blushing......;)

- forgot to mention that I then sew it on by machine as I don't trust the web to stick forever...

Just studied Barb's instructions and I'm not great at instructions.

Does the cord end up inside the binding following the outer edge of the quilt and giving it a nice rounded feel?, rather than the decorative Ricky Tims type binding?

LINZI x

that's right it was Ricky Timms. Thanks Chris. I am going to give it a try and if I can speed up the binding process by machine quilting and have them show acceptable that is wonderful. Sounds like a plan.

Barb, several girls in my guild have used this method but I haven't had anyone write it down before so many thanks to you. We all luv ya!!

My sister hates to hand bind...she says she stinks at hand work...doesn't sell or show her quilts, so she has developed this method...not sure if its her own or if she learned in a class, but she uses the deco stitches on her DSM to do these...this is one that she did for me several years ago, and I have to admit, I have started to do this on gift quilts.

She does the actual sewing from the back...so she is pulling the binding over and sewing as she can see the first sewing line.

post--13461900979348_thumb.jpg

Linzi,

Here is a cross-section drawing of the binding as it is attached to the quilt. The cord winds up in the "valley" of the folded binding and keeps the edge of the binding from "wandering" and not getting sewn.

Note to all: this technique is not meant to replace hand-binding, just to provide a means to quickly and permanently bind quilts that are going to be loved, used, washed, dragged around, etc. And this is not MY technique - I learned it (in a slightly different form) from Suzanne Hyland at HMQS in 2007. I just modified it to suit my needs and took the time to write it down and share it.:D

And here is a closeup of a quilt bound with this technique. You can't see it, but the cord is encased in the binding, just alongside the seam on the back. It's what keeps the seam line looking consistent all the way round the quilt, even though you're stitching the seam from the top of the quilt.

For all of you with a serger, I have seen the fusible thread be used in the lower looper. I have been able to use the fusible thread in the needle and loosen the tension, which pulls it to the back. Then I just wrap around and press. Stitch in the ditch to secure and everything is very even and straight. Used this on table runners and a wall hanging for Christmas and it really went fast. Had to turn off my light because it made the fusible warm and it would break when I started again. Next time will try the lower looper. Need more fusible thread first.

Saw this demoed at a Quilt Guild meeting by one of the local shop teachers, who also happens to have been my high school computer teacher.

Archived