Between Gigs

So Karen and I had a few days between shows and decided to hit the French Quarter of New Orleans. It was great first time for all of us... Awesome Coffee and treats, great night life, great art, great building and grave sights and and and it was just great. Our legs were killing us after two full days and nights of 10-13 hours a day of walking...

post--13461901067962_thumb.jpg

I miss that cajun food being here in Colorado now.

There is no food better in the world.

Looks like you gals had a good time.

Thanks for sharing. Much history there.

So did you get to try some Crawfish? Might be a tad early for the season. Love that Crawfish!!!! (Mudbugs to some)

Hugs,

Grammie Tammie

Went to New Orleans a yr. before Katrina and had a great time!! Tried the food of all kinds and LOVED it. I don't think there was anything about Orleans I didn't like and I loved the French Quarters. In fact we stayed right in the French Quarters...it was wonderful. I loved the night life also.......and I liked the speciallty shops also and the quilt shops.

Renae

Quilt Shop???

We didn't see any quilt shops, just voo doo, awesome clothing shops, awesome masks, the blue dog stuff was everywhere and of course Zydico music for Jon. We didn't take pics of the areas that are still being repaired out of respect for the owners but wow there is still alot of homes that are still not even close to being repaired. And we spoke to people that lived through it and stayed because they did have cars or didn't want to leave family pets behind. The story's we heard and the history we learned on the tours was so life altering for me. I'm just sooooo glad we did it. I would love to go back in the warmer wheather and stay for a whole week... maybe next year.

If you went back 3 times in a day to the chickery coffee and pastry place, then, know wonder you could of walked for 3 days. Hyper alittle bit!:o:o When you get back home or where ever you will colapse with exhaustion. Have you been to some of the clubs? The one that freaked me out was the bar that turned a full circle while you sit. Don't remember the name. Great time to go is around April. Nice weather (if you are not used to heat)

The quilt shop is down toward the zoo - down Magazine I think. It is in an old house and has tons of great stuff!!! We run down to NO 4-5 times a year. We love, love, love it! Did you take the ghost tour? Did you take a river ride? Did you ride the Delta Queen? Did you ride the trolley? Fun stuff and the food is awesome!

The quilt shop on Magazine Street closed this past year. One owner had to relocate with her son after Katrina to help him with his kids. The other owner died last April. The business was having a really hard time after Katrina. The building was fine but there was no business. Magazine Street is mostly a tourist destination area -- and -- well -- there is not a lot of tourist.

That was the only quilt shop in New Orleans proper. There is one in Metarie, just outside the city.

Sue, you should have called!! You were only an hour from me!!

BTW -- jambalaya -- is how it its spelled

It is hard for me to believe that you got Karen to eat anything spicy!!

See you soon!!

Sandra:P:P:P:P:P:P

Hay Sandra

We weren't going to stop in NO... but at the last minute we agreed to stay just one night... we arrived around 10 pm and walked the whole French Quarter till dawn as we thought we would get up check out and go to the next gig... but we just couldn't leave... there was to much to see in the day light and to many shops that had been closed so late at night off season so we just booked in for another night went on as many tours as we could in a day and shopped till we had no more room in the cars... then we drove straight through and arrived just in time for set up at the next location... next time we will plan our visit and meet up with you for a little walk about.:P:cool:

We visited New Orleans before Katrina on a business trip and right after Mardi Gras. I remember the concierge told us not to cross a certain road in New Orleans or our lives might be in jeopardy but after a few drinks with the name Voodoo in the title...it sure was tempting! Thank goodness I was with a really conservative co-worker.

I could have lived at Cafe Du Monde - the beignets and coffee were wonderful.

Road trips are always a blast!!!

Archived