MQS 2009 - FROM THE VOICE OF EXPERIENCE

Mary Beth

I will be happy to start this topic and even happier if some of you seasoned quilters jump in here with your good advice.

For the newbies planning to attend MQS (or any big show for that matter):

Make a list of items you would like to purchase...a "Wish List". List every item you have been wanting, or thinking about seriously. Do your research, find out as much about the items as possible, including price. (Prices are usually not reduced at the show, you just don't pay shipping. Sometimes you get a deal....but usually not).

Now, go back through your list and narrow it down. Set a budget and stick to it. Don't let your head...or heart... rule your wallet.

I am here to tell you, when you walk into that room for the Shopping Frenzy...your eyes will light up! You will feel your head start to swim and before you know it your head is spinning like the girl from The Exocist! ;) If you are not very careful, you will own one of everything and not remember how to use any of it when you get it home.

Ask me how I know this.................:D

Okay all you more mature quilters....jump in here with your advice.

You will be able to usually get a list of ALL the vendors before you even get there to use as Mary Beth says to do your research...go to the hosting MQS site and do your research before...and make your lists.

Its amazing what will be actually there that you really didn't think about and your list will get altered several times with your first pass through...I don't buy when I cruise through unless I know its something I have on my list, and I have to have it and it may be in short quality...they they vendors sometimes limit what they bring and only have 5 of something, and even then I stand there and decide if its something I really need or is it a really want thing....something may have caught my eye as I was walking through and then the hmmmmm factor sets in.... list things are those that are purchased first or scratched off and not bought so that I can fit something I hadn't thought about in, and then and only then do I reevaluate my needs and then hit the vending mall the next day for final purchases.

My bad is that the mall is usually the full 5 days, and of course I have to go back and back and back...and then I have to face the jury when I get home.

DON"T try to see it all in one day! Your mind will be so boggled that you won't remember it all. Like a fine wine, sip it slowly and savor each bit. Take time to talk to others. There are so many, many wonderful people there that just sitting with them for a few minutes will teach you something! Many are from this forum.

My first year I had a full schedule of classes and lectures and my brain was fried by Friday. Don't schedule back-to-back classes, it's just way too much. You won't remember but a half of it when you get home. Enjoy a few classes and get the most out of them, practice what you learn and then use it. Sit with other quilters between classes or at breaks, you can learn sooooo much from each other it's amazing! Yes, the candy store is very hard -- I have purchased some rulers and gadgets that I have never used - what a waste of money. Make your list before the show for sure and stick with it -- just like a grocery list, you'll be hungry to get one of everything but get what's on your list. MQS is just way too much fun to go home with regrets on how much you spent.

Take it from one who's made this mistake!!!!

Sharon

Save room in your budget for things you didn't know existed, or didn't know how/what exactly they were and that you needed them.

Ditto the not taking too many classes in a day. I learn better with the hands on and love having a class sample to take home to remind me of what I did. Works better, for me, than a handout or notes.

Like Barb said talk to people. That is what has made the difference to me in whether I had an okay time or a mindblowingly fun time at MQS. The table MB sets up makes this soooo easy. Just go sit and introduce yourself to anyone else sitting there, or at the cyber cafe where you can check your email and drink the BEST foo foo coffee.

MQS includes a DO and Don't list in their catalogs every year. This year I noticed that one of them dropped off. So here is my suggestion, well, my request.

Please leave your perfume, cologne, body splash, froo-froo or whatever at home. Be considerate of others who do not want to inhale your fragrance from across the room.

I met a sweet quilter last year and sat down with her before our class began and began to chat. I knew that she had on too much cologne but the seats were filling up so I didn't move. After a few minutes my eyes began to water and I started having trouble breathing. I was so afraid that I was going to embarrass myself by coughing so I went ahead and moved to the back of the room and found an empty chair.

Thank you for being considerate of others.

Oh, Linda that is such an important thing.....I so echo the perfume thing...just cuz you like it your neighbor might be allegeric to it or you get it on a bit to thick. I can't walk by the perfume counter in the mall without sneezing...so if you get 50+ women in the room and each has a different one on it gets a bit over powering... My eyes get all watery and the nose starts to drip faster than I can catch it....its not a pretty site....

Love some, but that's a bit much I have to agree.

As I go through the booths, I make a list of what looks interesting that I may want to buy, price, vendor and booth number.

After I've gone through everything, I look through what I was thinking of purchasing and revisit the possibilities. Often multiple vendors have something similar and I can make a decision instead of just purchasing from the first one I come to. I can also total up what I'm thinking of spending and prioritize if I need to.

The booth number helps me find where I need to go. I like the shows that have a map with the booths and vendors.

Julia

1. Comfortable shoes...!

2. Like everyone else said, make a list - and don't buy on the first pass through the vendor mall.....don't get caught up in the buying frenzy - it's way too easy to overspend that way.

3. Pause and rest when you can. Don't rule out the possibility of a short nap in your room at some point in the day so you can enjoy your afternoon and evening, instead of being exhausted and overwhelmed. Even if you just find a quiet spot and put your feet up for a bit.....between all the classes, shopping, chatting, etc.....trust me, you're gonna be tired at day's end.

4. Come sit and join a chat at the tables.....or if you see someone sitting alone, maybe go sit and say hi to them or invite them to your table.....they may be wishing for someone to chat with but too shy to join a crowded table.

Can't wait to meet more of you this year! I don't post very often, but your names are becoming so familiar to me, I almost think I know you!

It's gonna be fun!

Also, if you are flying in be sure you have a large tote bag. Mine weighed about 25 pounds last year ! :P My check in bag was over weight and I had to remove things in the airport, my carry on bag was unbelivable ! I will take a list and try to control myself this year. I hope ! ;) At least I didn't have to fed-ex, but that may have been smarter ! Glenda

They will ship FedEx at the mall. I wish I had done that last year.

Also, find a group, or a local with a car and go out on the town. I don't mean miles away. Across the way from the Mariott was a little Karma Sutra Indian Cuisine restaurant--had the best Butter Chicken I've ever tasted.

I hitched a ride to a grocery store and Target, bought bottled water (much cheaper), and instant oatmeal to make with the coffee maker in my room. I understand that the Sheraton has a freebie breakfast in the lobby. Sweet!

I ditto to leave time for yourself. Nap, read the class notes, digest what you just learned, and relax. It's over too soon anyway. Don't go home exhausted.

Take time to volunteer. If everyone does a little, the show goes much better.

You must volunteer in the judging room if you can be there early. What an experience! Even if it's for two or three hours. And you get to see the quilts up close before they go in the show.

My 2-3 cents.

During my first trip to MQS last year, I pretty much jam packed my MQS week about as full as it could be without any breathing room (e.g. shopping time and relaxing time; hanging out at the table to meet quilters time...) I was going non stop. So at the end of the week on Friday, my mind was pretty much a blob of goo. And, many of you know about my broken foot, so I was in a lot of pain, even if I faked through the pain... so, my suggestion is to give yourself at least two hours a day to be spontaneous with your time and don't cram too much in for classes. :)

Got a room booked and am excited to attend..Havent been to this since they held it in Springfield...Thanks for all the inspriation you guys on the boards give..pictures are great..I mostly lurk the boards..Areyou having a get together? Would like to meet some of you guys..Anyone from Northwest Iowa attending???? I tried to send an early reply...wouldnt go..hopefully it doesnt show up twice...

Oh I have to echo the volunteering thing, not just for the show, but for yourself too. You'll be amazed at the people you meet/visit with when you volunteer. I had sooo much fun last year. I got to help Claudia mark fabric for her class, and help hang the quilts for the show. I'm sure the show appreciates it, but it will benefit you more than you would imagine.:P

I agree Tracye! I volunteered as a teacher angel for three classes, and volunteered three days in the judging room, plus my three days of classes. Like I said before...I crammed too much in but oh what fun it was!

And be sure to attend the evening events. The awards ceremony, the audacious auction and the friday banquet are all definitely top notch fun fun fun!!!

PS: Tracye, I just got my On Track and opened up right to your article to read your story. You make me so proud. Love ya girl. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a question.... The classes that I am interested in are early in the week. I am trying to decide if I want to say and fly out on Sat evening or if I want to fly out Friday. Do you all go to the Banquet? Is it worth staying fo?. If I stayed I would probably want to go to the Quilt Studio class on Saturday morning. I am just trying to decide if I will get enough out of the vendor mall and banquet to stay through Sat. The classes that I am looking at are Mon-Wed.

Thanks!

(Joanne, don't get too excited about the quilt studio comment it is a couple years off.... :D)

This is the first year I will be attending the banquet. Also, look at the list of classes that are full, those first two days fill up fast since they are hands on. Good luck getting the classes you are wanting...you will have a blast!!! Looking forward to seeing you there.

Thanks Mary Beth,

I am registering today. I went through with a sharpie and put a big X on the classes on the list. I did not even read the descriptions, that way I can't wish I had registered earlier. I am not having a hard time finding classes to take, it is harder to narrow it down to one class. :)

I want to register for the ones that I want on Monday and Tuesday today. I am only planning on taking 2 on Monday and 1 Tuesday right now. Then one demo on Weds and Thurs. I want to be able to enjoy the show and don't want to be tired and over it before the vendor mall even opens.

DH talked me into staying the whole time this time. That way I will know next year what I do and don't want to do.

Archived