What a Newbie Needs??

What a newbie needs a newbie gets! HA! I hope!!

OK, girls, I need a little help here.

My Millie will be here late next week and I'm making a list of what I need. Really need. Please let me know if I've missed things or if I am wrong.

1. Edgerider wheels

2. Base plate for ruler work

3. Longarm centering tape

4. Zippered leaders

5. Some basic rulers

6. Assorted threads

7. Extra bobbin case

8. Extra bobbins

9. Roll of batting (do I buy cheap? Or buy Hobbs 80/20?)

10.Plenty of practice fabrics (I bought out a quilt shop in Sept, and since I'm not getting any action on ebay?? I think I can use some of it. 240+ bolts!!)

11.Circle Lord (just the basic for now? Or get a couple templates?)

What am I missing?

I have Kimmy Brunners dvd, Mindy Casperson's T-N-T, Pajama Quilter Reloaded; plus some books from Pam Clarke, Diana Phillips and DeLoa Jones

Thanks tons and bushels!

Linnea;);)

Housekeeper, crock pot, or better yet a maid would be nice !:P Enjoy your walk down the fun side. For tools, if you get the basic Circle Lord you definately want to get the swirls template. It is a fantastic money maker and adds so much to a quilt. Don't go overboard like I did !:mad: Have lots of stuff that I just don't use. Glenda

Personally, I'd wait on a few things like the edgerider wheels. See how you like your regular wheels first. You can always get them later. I think the same with the rulers. Just start by getting comfortable with your machine, then add more fun toys as ou need them. I love my DVD's by Myrna Ficken. I've got Fowl Proof Feathers and Just do It freehand. Also, your machine will come with some toys I'm sure. My girl arrived with thread from Superior (gotta love their stuff!), bobbins, needles, etc. I also got several pantos, and I would highly recommend Darlene Epp's books as well.

Have a good time with your new baby, and if you find that housekeeper, send them my direction please!

Beth

Linnea - Welcome to the forum!! Oh the toys we can buy!! :P

I agree with the others, don't go overboard, especially right now..... you can easily wait with some of those things. Are you goiing to be quilting for others? Or just yourself? Take the time to get comfortable with you machine, get to know it and how it works.

Where are you at by the way? TOO many quilt shops are going out of business as of late.... so sad..... :(

Hi Linnea,

Congratulations on your new Millie! :)

Glenda was not kidding...if you can plan a few simple meals for the week, you are one step ahead. :)

1. Edgrider Wheels. (not now, wait and see how you like the ones you have.

2. Base Plate. (not now, but later)

3. Long arm centering tape. (I've never needed one, don't know how helpful it is)

4. Zippered leaders (not now, maybe later) I still pin on all my quilts 7 yrs. later) I need new leaders, but that's another story. Mine are getting a bit thread bare. ;)

5. Some basic rulers ( not right away. Like the base plate wait on the rulers) Just get a good feel for your machine free motion at first.

6. Assorted threads. Yes! Use the basic 8 Crayola colors and get 3 of each color. As in: Basic Blue---then get a light blue, and a medium blue. Basic Green---get a light green and a medium Green. You will want white or off white, and some varigated threads which are a lot of fun. I primarily use Superior Threads or Perma Core or Signature. But, I love the new LAVA threads by Superior. So-Fine and King Tut. I use a lot of Bottom Line for bobbins.

7. Extra Bobbin Case---Yes, it's always good to have few extras, and they are not overly expensive.

8. Extra Bobbins--Yes! Yes! You can never have too many bobbins! :) If you are winding your own, or buying prewounds. (I prefer to wind my own)

9. Roll of Batting ---Do Not, repeat Do Not buy cheap batting. I buy Hobbs 80/20 or Quilters Dream for bed quilts. I like Warm and Natural for Wall hanging type quilts.

10. Practice Fabric-- Muslin is fine, but I like to buy those "cheater panels" to practice on. Baby quilt or larger. That way when your finished you have a quilt to donate to a charitible organization and you feel like you accomplished something. Although your muslin can pass for a whole cloth quilt with some binding attached.

11. Circle Lord---I don't have one. I took a class at Innovations in 07, and I found it was very precise type quilting, and I just wasn't interested at the time in doing that type of quilting. I do have some circle templates I use for referencing feathered wreaths. I buy those at Tap Plastic, cheap and in all sizes. My husband scores the reference lines on the plastic for me. You don't need all the sizes either. I have a Quilt EZ stylus and one template...I have rarely used it. I might be interested in the Baptist Fan templates for that sometime....I really like Pantographs better I think than anything else when I want precise even quilting.

You have some great DVD's. And there is some wonderful stuff on You Tube for long arm quilters to watch too. Sharon Schamber has some wonderful Video on there. Linda Taylor has some great free videos on the Gammill website too.

What I would buy. A Bobbin Winder for sure....Lots of needles and bobbins. I change needles every large quilt, and every two small quilts. So, I go through a lot of needles.

A small vacuum to keep under your frame to Suck out the lint, not blow it back into the machine. A good lint brush is one of those 1" wide bristle paint brushes.

A TOWA Bobbin Tension Gauge! I wouldn't be without one!:)

A small lap top Dry Erase board that you can sit and doodle designs on, and take up to the frame with you and look at while you practice. :)

Some really comfortable shoes!:)

The books I love and keep going back and reading are:

Darlene Epp "Pocket Guides" a trio of design reference books. Borders and Sashings, Textures and Fillers and Meanders.

Darlene Epp "Heirloom Feathers" a workbook to Freehanding Heirloom Feathers.

Linda May Diny "Freehand Feathers, Borders and Sashes"

Linda V. Taylor "The Ultimate Guide to Longarm Machine Quilting"

and Cindy Roth "Pricing for Your Long Arm Quilting Business"

(invaluable if you are starting a business)

Well, that's it from me. (whew, aren't you glad you asked! ):P I'm sure you will get many more suggestions.

Go easy on buying until you get the feel for your machine and what you may want to try. You can go overboard and have a lot of stuff that never gets used.

Have fun! :)

Hi Linnea...I've had my Millie for just about a year now and the best thing I did was buy nothing other than books and how-to DVDs initially, along with some muslin for practice (which is sounds like you already have covered). My first purchases after that were the Itty Bitty for the SID and a base plate.

I wouldn't buy anything else until you've practiced a ton and see what you like and what your new Millie likes. Half the fun of acquiring that stuff is being able to use it right away, and until you know how your Millie works and how you work with your Millie, you really can't. I haven't bought the edgerider wheels; I'm thinking about them, but I want to actually try a machine that has them before I invest the money. My Millie works just fine now--I'm not sure if the wheels would make that much of a difference.

I used to think that I really wanted the Circle Lord, but I've found that I just don't like working from the back side of my machine that much. I prefer the freehand side and actually seeing what I'm doing. I have a zillion pantos, but only because I bought a woman's cupboard as she was going out of business and it came with them. I have yet to even look at half of them, let alone use them all. Pantos are good for quick & dirty quilting, but I like being more creative.

When I first started quilting, I bought everything...and I mean everything:D I'm still finding things I didn't know I had...sort of like a perpetual Christmas! I was determined with my longarm to only buy when I knew I'd actually use and/or like something.

I know its hard, but try to be easy on your husband and go slow. You'll be happy you did and we won't see you on here selling stuff you own because you just don't use it!!;)

When I was buying my machine last fall Sue Patten gave me wonderful advice. Don't go out and buy everything available. She suggested that I buy a couple of pantos that varied in density and lots of thread, different types and different manufacturers. She also suggested that before I buy a tool to take a class on it and then decide if it was for me. Of course now that I have learned more about Sue the thread advice has a whole new meaning for me. :)

I did buy zipper leaders. I wanted to be able to take a practice piece on and off between quilts.

Darlene Epp's books have been one of my best purchases. I rank them up with my Kim Brunner and Myrna Ficken DVDs.

I have only had my machine for 3 months. Here is what I have really used:

-Zipper Leaders

-Thread (mostly superior, lots of So Fine and King Tut but also some cheap thread that I had on hand)

-Extra Bobbin Case

-Extra Needles

-TOWA Gauge (this is a personal thing, you either love them or hate them.)

-Air Compressor (or canned air)

-rolls of batting. I have been using mostly Warm and Bond, the Warm Company's 80/20. I would go with what ever is cheapest for you. I can get stuff from The Warm Company and Quilter's Dream cheaper than Hobbs due to where I live. I can save the shipping on the first two because I can drive to either company instead of having it shipped.

-Horizontal Spool holder.

You've got the practice fabric covered. I do not have a Circle Lord but did get a Hartley Fence that was a bonus when I bought the machine. It is still in the box.

Also I would rather save up some of the money that I would spend on tools I would never use and use it to go to MQS or MQX. That way I can try out some of those tools and decide which ones are for me. I could also take some classes.

Sylvia, I am on ebay as linnea-marie. If you do an advanced search, you can search by seller id. I keep putting up fabrics almost everyday. Most is $5 to$6 per yard. It is all quality quilting fabric.

As usual, you girls always come through!!

I think I will wait on things till the machine is actually here and set up! that will keep hubby happier too!!

Thanks for all the great comments and advice!

Linnea:cool:

:cool:

Good advise.

Thread choices: (I've been doing this for 12 years and have tons of thread I've never used) I very rarely use varigated although I did buy all the Maxilock varigateds and love it.

Mother Goose,

2 shades of avocado......use these a lot

I have 3 shades of pink from very pale to raspberry that I use a lot and wine

3 shades of blue from sky to navy

mint, christmas green, forest

lavender

Any shade of tan.....bone, neutral etc

And lots of white!! In 12 years I've only used black once.

Consew has their Maxilock on sale for 1.99 and hopefully I plan on stocking up. I always buy 2 of each.

Linnea,

Don't buy any of those things yet! If you don't have a base with the machine you purchased....believe me, you won't be ready for ruler work just yet. If you are buying a new machine from APQS, you get lots od thead, maybe the book "Longarm Machine Quilting" by Carol Thelen. All you really need in the beginning is muslin for practice and some batting. As you learn to quilt and get better at it, then start adding to your collection.

Now, I am not saying don't buy any of the things on your list. Of course I think everyone needs a Circle Lord ;) Just go slow.

Linnea,

You will get all kinds of answers to these questions. For me I could not live without my base plate and a ruler. I like the 6" from Willow Leaf which has 1/2" markings and 45 degree angle. It is the right size for me. I also love my Dainty ditcher. I used those right from the start but I love SID and ruler work! You will definitely want exra bobbins and an extra bobbin case. Your milli will come with the bobbin winder so you will be set there. Don't buy a ton of rulers until you know if you will use them. I also wouldn't buy the wheels, cl or other things just yet. Wait and see what you like and don't like first. I would buy a few pantos (the machine will come with a few and some thread too). You will of course use lots of thread. I bought a roll of hobbs and don't like it at all. I love my quilters Dream. You will definitely want lots of practice fabric. You can use it several times for practice until you get the hang of it. Welcome to the group.

Hi again!!

I did do some SID with my Juki and Grace frame setup. And it came out pretty nice, so I already have 4 or 5 rulers, plus Mindy Caspersons Angelic Swags. I have the Fine Line ruler, SID from Gadget Girls, Accuguide from Donita Reeves, plus another longer one that had a handle on it. They are all 1/4' acrylic.

I hope the machine comes with the 1/4" hopping foot? The APQS website does not say. And dummy me forgot to ask!!

Thanks!

Forever grateful!:):)

Ok - absolutely great advise above.

The only thing I differ with is -

I didn't get much thread with my Millie (July 2008 & 2 small cones & one small pkg of pre-wound bobbins) and I only got 2 pantos (didn't like either one!!). So, I would get some thread: 1 or 2 of King Tut, Lava, Sew Fine and Bottom Line - gives you a little variety since each works up differently. Pick basic colors that you like and can have fun with on the muslin. If you have any machine embroidery thread - that works great also. I use my Issacord all the time.

As to the panto's - I enjoy them - after working hard on some quilts, I like the no brainer pantos & I do love CL (but wait a bit - it is a big investment but the results are wonderful). I would look for 1 - 3 pantos that have soft curves but no long lines - open to medium density. I feel that learning to use the pantos taught me more about the movement of my Millie than anything else (just my opinion). There are lots out there. Look for pantos that by design would still look good even if you miss a few lines here and there. Frisky Feathers is great - gives you the feel of feathers, moving the head in lots of directions and looks great on lots of quilts.

I did start using my base plate right away - wanted to and I have done tons of SID - find the little rulers for SID easiest to handle!!!! The Itty Bity is great!!!!! but whatever, don't get a longer ruler to begin - they are harder to control than the little rulers.

Guess that about covers my 2cents - welcome to the group - you are going to have such a good time............... and maybe you might also need a maid:D Keep us all posted with your progress!!!

Hi Meg! Thanks for your advice! I also have a Bernina Artista 640 (embroidery machine), so I have about 100 spools of Isacord!!! I did notice the Juki liked it too, so I'm super glad to hear I can use it on the Millie!! I also have a few spools of King Tut and Rainbow, plus more. And I have some black fabric where the variegated will really show up.

So, I have the fabric and thread covered. Now I have to get batting. I think I'll just buy a few packages of different ones til I find what I like. Plus that way, maybe I can make samples with the different battings.

The only other thing I really want is a base plate for now. Like Heidi, I really like SID. Just have to decide which base plate to get!

Thanks again to everyone! You are ALL the BEST:D:D:D

Welcome! I agree you should wait on most of the extras. I have had my millie for 4 years and don't have zippers, rulers or the wheels you mentioned. I do suggest getting extra needles (both 4.0 and 3.5 size) as well as an extra bobbin case. I didn't insert mine in right when I first got my machine and put a big dent in it. Couldn't get the bobbin out! Had to order another one and that took about a week to get so I couldn't play. Also, Isacord thread is great and economical. I get it at Threadetc.com. Have fun and don't be afraid to try lots of designs! Janet

Archived