Cheryl Ann's Design Wall

I have been looking at this design wall for my retreats.

I'm going to ask you all if you have had the chance to use it.

Likes and dislikes,I need feedback.

All retreaters get a design wall for the week and I need something that is strong,durable and I can store them in my house.

Thanks

I have one - the largest size and it works for me. However, it was a real pain to put together and I wouldn't want to have to do it all the time. The brace system is poor and it does collapse every now and then. In January I saw they have a kit to fix some of the bracing problems.

If you don't have room or a place to put a permanent design wall, this works. Mine basically leans up against a wall unit in my living room which is now my studio.

My design wall, for what it's worth, is two sheets of foam insulation, cut to a 6½ foot height, "hinged" with duct tape (pink, of course!), then covered with a flannel sheet. I used spray-on adhesive to adhere the sheet to the front of the panels, then stapled the edges on the back, and for good measure, covered the edges with duct tape. I've carried this "contraption" to two retreats and a demonstration already, and it's getting loaded into my car/trailer this afternoon to go to another retreat/longarm demonstration. Works for me, and the cost was right.....:P

Guest Linda S

I have one and also lean it against a wall so, it doesn't experience many of the collapse issues. My quilting studio has slanted walls, so I can't use a traditional design wall.

Linda

I also did the flannel covered "R" board. My husband built a frame for it with hinges so it will fold nicely when traveling. I made a sling for it to make it easy to carry. Mine is only 4' X 4' but is perfect for traveling. I use it all the time when teaching. I actually use the same materials inside where I have an 8'X8' design wall and a 4' X 4' wall and still need more wall space.

I am happy to see that I am not alone in my dislike for this product. The first one I tried to set up was awful. When I called they said the flannel piece was the problem and sent me another one. It was equally bad. They were good about refunding my money. One of these days I will do a foam core board, fabric covered one on my sliding closet door.

Kathy

I have a friend on the coast who uses PVC pipe. I think it's six foot square so each piece would be six feet, and four 90 degree elbows. Then she safety-pins flannel around the pipes to make the "board" and leans it against the wall. I wish I had a picture. Don't glue the elbows on so you can dis-assemble it for traveling and storage. If it is much larger, the pipes sag. I think they are 2 inch pipe for no sagging.

Hope it helps

To All,

thanks for the input.

Since I would have to get 25 boards for the retreaters,I didn't want to spend the $ and have an inferior product.

At home I use a foam board and stick pins in it.

I can buy foam board and let the retreaters bring their own flannel. This would work for all.

The teacher I would have to make a bigger one.

I also have one and think it is pretty good if you can lean it up against a wall. I have used it many times and take along a roll of blue painters tape and tape the corners so that the poles don't come out of the plastic corner pieces. Another easy way to use it is to just put one set of the poles thru the top sleeve and hang it to a wall using those 3d hooks I think that is what they are called . they adhere to your walls and will not take off paint or paper when removed. you just put up two or three of these hooks and lay the rod across it. Now if you dont' have a wall or window or whatever the frame will work but is pretty flimsey

Hi Pat,

I have the portable design wall you are asking about, and have used it at a quilting retreat I go to twice a year for several years.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2020878910101095556QDEKYQ?vhost=home-and-garden

http://community.webshots.com/user/TheRanchHands

Many of us at retreat have these portable design walls and love them! We tried a lot of other things before these came along, and now these are all we use. The only problem we have noticed is that so many of us have them now, it is sometimes hard to find a space for setting them up if everyone wants to use theirs....so now we often share one portable. :) per two quilters. :)

Sure, they take a few minutes to set up and take down. But, it's not difficult. We lean ours up all along the walls behiind our sewing spaces.

We usually have 30 to 45 quilters at each Ranch hand retreat. We would be lost without these portable design walls now!

I'm afraid that I bought one of each size and hate all of them. Everything is flimsey!!! They come apart or fall over if a breeze hits them. I saw her booth at the quilt show last month and mentioned the above and she tried to sell me some new stabilizer bars!!! I said no thank you, I'm done with your product.:mad:

Archived