turning off the SR

Just the thought of turning off the SR makes me sweat. After 17 months working with the SR on, it feels normal. I would think the SR is a huge benefit because the stitching is so even throughout the quilt.

When you turn off the SR

* how to you keep consistent stitches

* how in the world do you think so fast as to turn it on and move at the same time so you don't get a bird's nest or break the thread

A big benefit would be that the chirping would go away!

Tell me why I should turn off the SR...in a nice way please.

Holly, I only turn the SR off when I'm doing micro stippling, pebbles, or something really small like that. Something that is just repeat, repeat, repeat so you don't have to think much about your next move. It's actually easier to do that small stuff without the SR. You keep the stitches consistent by moving smoothly. Try it, you'll like it.

Hi Holly. Don't be scared. Well, I learned to quilt with my little Bernina DSM. I did not have SR so I got the hang of it keeping a consistent stitch with my DSM. You basically just have to find an even rhythm with the speed of the needle while moving the fabric (or machine). Just start out slow and gradually speed up. I think the faster you go (needle speed) the smoother the curves, and better control you have. It's kinda like driving a car, you look ahead where you want to go and the needle follows along. Try starting out with needle speed at 9 and press the green button to increase up to 11 maybe 12 and see what you think.

I actually enjoy quilting pantographs and some freehand fun things without the SR engaged. The machine runs much smoother without SR. The times I really appreciate SR is during ruler work or doing little designs inside the blocks.

Why don't you try to PPP a bit it without? I think you will really like it. Pantograhps seem to work really well without SR.

One key to turning the SR off is to figure out how fast you like to move the machine, and then set the speed at whatever speed makes stitches the size you want.

For example, I typically stitch in SR mode at 10-11 stitches per inch. When I take SR off, I set my speed in the middle of the green portion (above the 13) just because I tend to go pretty fast. I'm not setting it at 13 stitches per inch - I'm putting it pretty fast in manual mode.

I like turning SR off because it forces me to go at a steady speed to keep the stitch length uniform. This helps me when I have SR on as well, because a steady speed always helps the machine perform at its best. I almost always turn it off for detailed, intricate work.

Note that you can change the speed of the machine on the fly just by pushing the command button and the green or red button.

Good luck!

Julia

The Wild Women made us quilt with the SR last week and I finished the quilt on my frame without turning it back on. Not using the SR is empowering. :)

The SR is a really nice feature it gets us up and going on our machines quickly and makes doing Pantos easier, but I am learning that somethings are actually easier without it on.

Originally posted by ThreadWaggle

The SR is a really nice feature it gets us up and going on our machines quickly and makes doing Pantos easier, but I am learning that somethings are actually easier without it on.

Scary, but true! McTavishing and freehand is easier without SR, its just getting used to it. I think it was the hardest thing I've done on my machine and still don't go without my SR as I should. I need more practice to feel comfortable without SR.

I recently also took the Wild Women of Quilting Classes. They made you work non stitch regulated. It was scary and a first for me. Know I work both ways. It is empowering. You do learn to listen to the machine. Stuff that I was real comfortable doing stitch regulated I like even better non stitch regulated. But I had to be forced to do it, and I don't regret it a bit.

Shirley

I also just finished the Wild Women's classes in which we had to turn off the SR, OMG the whole room was full of frantic quilters. After the initial fright, things went well. Most of us had been using the SR for so long that our minds and bodies knew the rhythm without much thought. We were amazed that our circles weren't square and curves came out beautiful. Guess we were blaming the wheels on all our problems in error. Turn that darn crutch (SR) off and go to town, HAVE FUN!!!!

Archived