The new one finished

Merete! Look at those LONG and LUCIOUS feathers! :) Beautiful job. You are really awesome.

In your other quilt, if you want to do custom, I see a feather fan motif in each of the open blocks. In the four-patch? I don't know but perhaps some sort of line dancing design with swirls, and curls?

Keep up the great quilting.

Hi Merete,

I found your blog and posted about this quilt earlier. It is so beautiful.

Now this other one is very different. Lots and lots of the same thing.

First, I can't see it all. I counted 10 open blocks in one row, that I could see. I don't know if the blocks are small (maybe 5 or 6 inches) or the blocks are 8 or 9 inches, in which case this is a HUGE quilt. Too many of the same things in these blocks would be boring, I think.

In any case, I would divide and conquer this quilt to give it some structure. Make a big medallion on-point in the center with a double line border and put a lovely feather, celtic knot, huge rose, etc feature in there. We already know that you an do that. ;).

Then build some faux borders in there so you can feature some line-work, line wide piano keys in one faux border and a feather fern in another.

Since the medallion is on point with some faux borders to give it some structure, you have some wonderful corner triangles to put in a nice flowing design, repeat the feathers or repeat ferns, whatever you chose for the other elements, repeat them to give the whole thing unity.

Almost forgot the outer border. I would SID (as drawn) the edge and then treat the lined outer border and the triangle as the same border and put some feathers or leaves (pushing then into the triangle ) or whatever theme you chose in there.

I have a picture but I used my mouse, it looks like crayon but you will get the idea.

post--13461901446283_thumb.jpg

Merete what a beautiful quilt! Your feathers are amazing, I see quilts with HUGE feathers that don't look good at all and yours are so balanced and perfect! Thank you for sharing!

Linda, your ideas are always wonderful, can I be you for awhile so that I can come up with some of these great ideas! Seriously, my brain seems stuck! I've got my son's wedding nApril 18th so no inspiration at MQX for me this year!

Merete the quilt is fabulous. The quilting is so soft and pretty, perfect.

Linda's suggestions would be great for the second quilt. Hadn't seen the piano keys in squares like Lida showed. Would love to see the outcome, I bet they'd look great. Not sure if I'd want to do so much diagonal. I just finished a 82 x 102 diamond quilt. Thought I'd never finish, but it looks great, well worth the trouble.

Gorgeous quilting as always Merete. I totally agree that repeating something all over the new quilt, in each square, would be tedious. It is definitely a good idea to divide it up in a totally different fashion and DO something with it that way! I really look forward to seeing what you end up with. I am sure that it will be beautiful!!:)

Archived