Heidi...I got a tablet!!!

Just thought I'd let you know that I bought a tablet today. The in-laws have just left after having dinner, the kids are put to bed, now I have to go out to the van and get my new toy. Of course I have to explain it to my husband first;););). I can't wait to play with it.

Holy Moly:o:o:o:o I just reaized I bought one a year ago right before I moved and haven't seen it since. Wonder wonder where in which unpacked box or storage unit it is. :(:(:(:(:( It would give me something to do when Lola goes back to storage. Boy, this gives me pause.....And now the new house is on the market so who knows when I will actually land somewhere. You guys enjoy your tablets while I figure out where mine is!!

Nancy:P:P:P:P:P Wondering if she will EVER get to completely unpack again.

okay, girls spill the beans, where did you get the tablets. office depot, Staples? and how much do they cost. I saw a picture one of you posted. looks pretty cool and I love how well they let you doodle on Paint or whatever software. I tried doodling on a quilt picture with the mouse and it is not very easy to do. I am sure the tablet would be way easier.

My DH used a giant one for computer drafting. It's called a "digitizer". It is a precision instrument! The tablet I have, Bamboo, fills my need. I take it with me to the mountain and to DD and it fits in the briefcase with the laptop with no problem. I'd hate to lug one of those big ones to classes, etc.

Mine is a bamboo fun tablet, Medium size. Software is loaded and hubby and I are trying to draw. Gonna be fuuuuun!!!!!! I got mine at Future shop today. 269.00 comes with all kinds of software too. I'll let you know how it goes.

Tracey

Hi Dory,

You might want to look at the Wacom Medium Bamboo at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Medium-Silver-Graphics-Software/dp/B000V9USBG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

If you are a Prime member, shipping is free. Good software comes with it, and it doesn't take up a lot of space around your computer area. I swear I'm getting more and more "junk" all around my desktop computer. Pretty soon I won't be able to see the monitor. :D:D:D

Like I said before, the active area of my small one is 4x6 inches and it has no limitations. Since all I've ever had is the small one, I don't know what the bigger ones do that mine doesn't. I can zoom in and out by using my pen or finger to touch the round circle at the top in a circular motion, or page up/down by touching the arrows. The other buttons can be customized for other functions. The active area corresponds to the computer screen--no cropping. What more do you need?

I'm glad to see more people using them. That mouse never comes near my computer now. It's a thing of the past.:)

I bought the Wacom Bamboo with the Adobe PhotoShop Essentials 6 at Best Buy for $199. The Bamboo without the software was $99. I have had and used Paint Shop Pro for many years but I really wanted to try the Photoshop Essentials. I take a snapshot of a customer quilt hanging straight (not on the floor with the long prespective skewed, Ugh). Then I can open the photo in Photoshop Essential 6 and draw my design ideas on it and send those photos to the customer. It is a nice tool.

Has anybody tried to use their Wacom with the Pre-Design software from Loes and Theo?

I would like to "draw" some of my freehand designs and save them as an overlay. Then pull a quilt photo into Pre-Design which has that wonderful ability to put the photo in the background (fade) and then I want to be able to overlay that on top of the background photo. I'll have to see if I can do that.

Or even just use anybody's quilt and put the design on it using Pre-Design and save it and send that to a customer. You could have several ideas in your catalog for potential customers to view.

I use a separate blog for my business side so that customers can view and select their designs at 2 AM if they want to and send me an email with their choice. Ain't the internet grand? Right now my blog contains photos of quilts that I have done using a technique. But it would be nice to have photos of quilt, like Lone Star, a sampler, Tennessee Waltz, etc and draw designs on it using the tablet and use that when you get one of those quilts to do. I don't know how hard it would be or even if it is possible to scale those designs. I'll have to check that out.

I just saw Dory's question. Yes, the tablet comes with a stylus for drawing. It takes some practice to get used to it. I kept my mouse connected but it does seem to lose control after I use the stylus on the tablet. I have Vista so that may be the issue. Once I finish drawing and unplug the tablet, the mouse goes back to normal.

Nancy Jo - Are you talking about a tablet that attaches to the PC or are you talking about one of those whiz-bang laptop tablets like Deloa Jones uses? The laptop screen is actually the tablet. Very nice and v-e-r-y expensive, like $3k or $4k. If you have lost that baby in your storage, you need to orgainze a search party. :D

Originally posted by ramona-quilter

..... Then I can open the photo in Photoshop Essential 6 and draw my design ideas on it and send those photos to the customer. It is a nice tool.

Has anybody tried to use their Wacom with the Pre-Design software from Loes and Theo?

I would like to "draw" some of my freehand designs and save them as an overlay. Then pull a quilt photo into Pre-Design which has that wonderful ability to put the photo in the background (fade) and then I want to be able to overlay that on top of the background photo. I'll have to see if I can do that.

Or even just use anybody's quilt and put the design on it using Pre-Design and save it and send that to a customer. You could have several ideas in your catalog for potential customers to view.

:D

Hi Linda,

Yes, you can use a Wacom with Pre-Design (Studio). I have one, but I prefer to draw using my good ol' mouse: drawing with the wacom is so quick that I am making too many mistakes and that takes more time to edit my lines. I draw more precise using my mouse, but that is just my personal preference.

Creating a catalog or design ideas with Pre-Design Studio is easy:

open the photo of the quilt via Pre-Design Studio's Background menu. Draw your pattern over it. See if you want to fade the background image (show/fade/hide background tool - most right button in the toolbar). Then choose menu File > Export Picture. It will save as a jpg file, ready to send to you customer, or save in a Word document.

When the background image is hidden, then the jpg will just show the pattern. When the background is visible (the full photo, or faded), it will show in the exported jpg too.

We have used this method several times replying to "need ideas" questions on this board, so I will try to find an example and post a link.

Loes

(Almost, almost packing for MQS2009. two classes are fully booked but there's still space in 506 and 602.)

See http://quilters.pre-design.eu/mqs2009.htm

Archived