brochure and invoice software

Hi all, I've not gotten to the forum for a while. I'm full time at the quilt shop now and full time with my longarm....then there is the 3 kids and husband. I'm burning out quick ladies!!!!!!! I'm tired and overly emotional:( :( Anyhow, I am wanting to do some brochures for my business but am computer inept. I would also like to make my invoices more professional looking. Any one got any ideas? How do yours look? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tracey

Tracey, I created an invoice using Microsoft Excel. I set it up so it has formulas and calculates everything such as square inches, etc. for me. Yup... that's the lazy in me... plus it adds everything up, which is a good thing cuz math is not my forte. And I put my logo on top. I've had compliments from my customers they say my invoices look very professional. I use quickbooks to do my accounting but I like my excel spreadsheet invoice that I designed; works real good.

Hi Ladies, I use Quickbooks for my invoices, keeps track also of all expenses, income, profit loss etc. Inbteresting to see it all happen.

It also e-mails my invoices to my customers so when I make my Quilt run once a month, they all have either payment at the quiltstore or will have mailed it to me

For Brochures I use Picture It, does a nice job and for business cards I have a software as well.

I am sure if you look around there is a easy program that will do all you want.

well, call me old fashioned, but i like to have a piece of paper in my hand. makes me feel competant to be in the floor with piles sorted monthly in front of me. and that's not discounting the feline helper who decides to reorganize to her specs.

i used microsoft publisher for my worksheet, which i write everything out on, have the cust sign and date. then i just use those receipt books from wally world for the "invoice" and staple that to the worksheet and put in a three ring notebook.

• 4 months later...

For those of you who use QuickBooks, which version did you start with and what are you using now? I went to purchase it today and was a little overwhelmed with all of the choices. With just me, I don't think I need Quickbooks Payroll. I'm not sure if the startup version or the Pro version is the one to buy. All advice welcome!

Lynn

I use Quickbooks Pro, I have QB Premier at work and new I didn't need that.

QB Pro you can put all your stuff in there, including amounts for items, different charges for different kinds of quilting, (med meander, large meander, custom) and it will figure out the charge from the square inches you put in. Very easy to use, once you have it set up.

Computer geek speaking up here. I wrote my own inventory / accounting / bookkeeping application using Microsoft Access. It does everything for me including tracking all expenses and services/sales and taxes. It even will email a professional looking invoice. It computes the square footage of a quilt and then determines sales total for quilting (based on quilting type), and sales total for batting (based on batting type), and thread charges ($1.00 per 100 yards used). It keeps track of my inventory based on what I buy and sell, so I can tell you exactly how much thread, batting, and fabric I have left. I think it must be similar to to QB or Machine Quiltters Business Manager, but I haven't looked at those to be sure. I just like it because it is tailored for me.

I just had to brag a bit. I've been a computer programmer for almost 30 years, longarm machine quilter for 6 months. I just hope that 30 years from now, I can present something even close to the beautiful quilts I see on this forum. I would much rather have that talent than the perfect accounting/inventory system anyday! (Of course, someone will have to wheel me into my studio at that point :P)

To start out with though, I recommend Shana's suggestion to create an excel spreadsheet for customer invoices. It can be made to look professional looking and does your calculations for you. You can then print off a copy for yourself and add it to a manual record keeping system like Shannon's.

Machine Quilters Business Manager is excellent -- looks (and is) very professional, as well as being very easy to use. Its originator, Mary Reinhardt, is most helpful and frequently updates the program. I've been using it for several years with ease. Why take the time to invent your own program when it has already been done for you? (Reinventing the wheel??)

I tried a sample download of a quilting computer software package and found it difficult to use ( not sure what it was called), so I didn't buy it. I decided to do a manual accounting system (my accountant even told me what columns to put in the book!) and i"ve found this really easy to use. I can keep track of what I spend on different items like quilting tools/education and stationery, for example. I do my books usually once a month, but it has been known to extend a bit longer! But I am careful to keep all receipts.

When a customer comes and books a quilt in, I've put together a worksheet from different sources. Linda Taylor has a sample copy of a form in her book ' The Ultimate Guide to Longarm Quilting', and I added to this from business course I did at a quilting conference I went to in New Zealand last year. It contains all the details of the owner of the quilt , details of the quilt itself and what type of quilting is to be done. It is very detailed, and I get the customer to sign it before she leaves. When she calls to pick up the quilt,she pays me and I document on the reverse side that "payment is received with thanks" and I sign it. Finally, she signs that she's picked the quilt up, I photocopy the back as her receipt, then I file my copy away.

For my business flyer and business cards, I designed these using a simple software program( the sort that is used to make greeting cards.) They look lovely, and are very useful in attracting business.

Shelley

Archived