border has me stumped

this is a border from the quilt i'm quilting now- and i was wanting your opinion:

how would you tackle quilting this? do you ignore the motifs or outline them, if you outline- how do you choose which way to go? *grr*

it's from a jenny beyer quilt kit, and i'm not a fan of her border fabrics. as i posted on my blog- so much tinny detail, how do you quilt it and do it justice?

thanks for your opinions...

post--13461901995073_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh gosh Shannon, I can hardly wait to see how you have quilted the entire quilt you are so talented. I can see you outlining all the major elements but then that leavs the thin strip. not sure, I am not much help I am afraid.

Shannon, How much is the person willing to pay?? If they are willing to pay I would outline the motif but in a

broad way. I wouldn't hit ever leaf and line but just the larger motif's. I personally feel it is fine to back track

on a motif.

Sorry not much help,

Michele

it's pretty- don't get me wrong, but like kristina says- from a quilting standpoint it's a bear!

i'm doing a dense custom on the quilt itself, so i feel 'obligated' to do something in the border. (i wish i could meander it and call it done :) ) the quilt will be shown....

*grr* *hiss* *boo*

i'd like to see how SHE quilts them.....

here's a link to a pic of the whole quilt:

http://www.jinnybeyer.com/ax_commerce/shp_largeview.cfm?sku=C942A380-CF9D-94DF-B97D2829240D298B

Pretty border, such rich colors.

I would follow the curvy lines in the larger patterns in the center and then for contrast use the narrower curvies in the top and botton as a guide to do X's from the inner to the outer gold line.

How wide is the border?

You always make me smile, Shannon. You fret and then come up with something super :D . Can't wait to see it.

Well, if I only had a tablet, I could explain better. Okay so on the top & bottom of the large scroll work design, maybe follow the little scroll work doing a loop at each of the blue berry things? Then an echo of the straight line in the gold area.

In the large scrollwork, you could outline it by following the pattern and then stipple in the empty dark blue areas to make your outline of the pattern stand out??

I don't know....you'll make it look beautiful...you always do!:)

Dory yes that is exactly what I was thinking. I don't have a tablet here at work but I could do it tonight if I get a few minutes. Basically I'd use black thread and outline the big scroll (the black lines specifically) and the yellow lines that are outlined in black and then stipple the rest down. That way the scrolls and straight lines would really popl.

I've been known to crosshatch, stipple and single designs in these...but of course it was way before we have the today techniques...but with that said, stippling and crosshatching doesn't hurt them and it does give some personality.

this is what i've come up with.

i drew out CH and piano keys and my gut was like, "um, no" so i'm trusting it.

it's just i know what i've already done on the quilt and it needs to be outlined.

*goes to shoot self in foot*

(edited-i made the pic smaller- sorry to send the text off screen....)

post--1346190199561_thumb.jpg

dory- LOL i do okay with sharp objects.

it's just i've already got 6 hours in quilting on the quilt and all i have done is the background filler. then the creativity train hit a reinforced brick wall, but AAA has sent a replacement and i'm off and running again (with a slight limp)

Archived