border has me stumped

Shannon,

Never ignore your gut! You are right that what you have already done does impact the outside. Depending on how much you will get paid for this will depend how much of the detail you do. Your version should nail it down enough. If your customer is willing to pay for more you could add in the stippling that I was talking about. Here is my version of what I would do. Green what you had and pink optional! Actually did the green e2e without stopping and the pink too so really not a lot of starts and stops.

post--13461901995457_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, when you do a quilt like this, do you do it in sections usually? Do you find that that causes any issues with the border when you go back to do it?

Sorry about the wall, but at least you have insurance. AAA isn't bad, but I vote for that cute little Gecko;)

Shannon, I'm working on a quilt with 9 borders, some plain, some pieced, and of these 5 are small stripes, cut across. I guess piano keys would be ok, but i'm thinking more picket fence on at least some of the stripes..

I'm a lousy housekeeper sometimes.. love to cook and bake and visit and collect ideas for various borders... I'm wondering when you'd be able to come just a couple states north and help me out a bit. I'm desperate to get this quilt done by next tues.. even if I've had it 13 dayss waiting dfor the backing. I gave up and put a good grade muslin on it.

RitaR in North Carolina/;)

PS it al;so had/has massive waves in the borders.

rita- where at in NC? i was born and raised in jonesborough, TN (over the mountain from asheville) i had one last week with stripes. i just picked one of the colors and SIDed it. both the straight ones and the diagonals. and i still like the back better than the front...

here's the link:

http://piecefulkwilter.blogspot.com/2009/06/neutral-quilt.html

If I can tame the wavy borders.. it's not hung lopsided, thats the way it hangs with the top edge straight.

I reversed Bonnies method of Steam and starch, and stretched the inner borders. That took a lot of excess out and I think I can tame the bit that still doesn't lay right.

RitaR

Archived