ideas anyone???

This is the next customer quilt to go on the frame. I have pounded out about 10 pantos in a row so I am excited to get to the front of the machine. Any ideas ladies?? These are actually one seam flying geese which the customer has then folded back and top stitched to look like cathedral windows. This quilt is big. Approx 108" square.

post--13461902004069_thumb.jpg

hi tracey.

here's my ideas. thread: use a nice varigated in the geese. i would use black in the black. don't do a filler that is too complex, it won't show...wait, what's the backing....anywhoo. then i would do the curly feathers centered in the outer yellow border with the same vari using in the geese leaving some room on both sides. then using yellow thread, do the same filler from the black in the quilt on the yellow with yellow thread. that way the 'thread story' of the quilt will be consistant in the border as well as the quilt: you can see the thread details, but the filler blends.

i like the straight line meander for the black...the sharp angles compliment the pieced geese, and are opposite of the curved ones.

post--13461902005252_thumb.jpg

Tracey, if it's for a young girl, I would pick a really bright variegated color thread and do a flower in each curved block or something swirly or girly-fun. You know... And, in the flying geese, you could do something leafy that is continuous, too? Or maybe another type of flower that is repeated? That might look really cute. For the black background I would just use solid black thread and quilt something simple for texture and to nail it down. In the wide yellow border, just do some of the same flowers and leaves meandering all about in the yellow border. In the border, repeating the same types of flowers and leaves and swirlies from the middle areas would tie it all together, dontcha think??? :cool:

Definitely show pics when you are done with your magic touches!! ;)

Marlette, the sides of the geese are cut on the bias. The bias is stretchy so it can bee folded back and looks like you pieced a curve. It is an easy piecing method. I have a book around here someplace...........

Shannon, I have been loging on to this thread just to see what you suggest with all your drawings and again, I can see how you nailed it! Come stay with me a month or so.

Hey girls, I have it 2/3 finished at this point. My ideas ended up close to what you had suggested. I have meandered (yuck) in all the black background with black thread and now I am doing the pink windows with a swirly thing. I'll post tonight after the kids have gone to bed. I have also done leafy feathers in the black border. Will post later. Thanks for all the help.:)

Marlette & Bunny

Mary Ellen Hopkins just came to our guild & showed these geese. You use 2 squares for your sky fabric & a rectangle for the geese. Fold the rectangle in half with short sides together & right side out. Lay it onto a RS up sky square & lay remaining sky sq WS up on top. Lay this unit down so that when you look at the stack the geese fabric folded edge is at the top. Sew seam down the right hand edge. Press and open the unit. Lay out the Geese fabric so that the remaining long side lays along the bottom edge of the rectangle formed by the 2 sky sqs. What you now have is a folded goose. After you have captured the lower edge in the next seam you have a pocket on each side of the goose. The folded edges are bias so you can later fold them down & stitch as per cathedral windows.

Hope this makes sense. Wish I had 'Doodlebug's' skills with the tablet to draw this for you.

:oI can remember my mother teaching me how to do catheral windows. That's when I told her that I was going to Marry me a man who will buy my quilts. I know she is laughing in heaven on that one. Now I am teaching quilting and doing longarm quilting. Who would have thought. But I still have that square of catherial windowns that will never be complete. How aweful to start a beginner on such a project. Love this flying geese/catheral window method. Who knows I might even teach this in a class.;)

If you are interested, in the birthday exchange a couple of years ago, Lorrie Haule of MN sent a block made with this method. She said it was from a book by Annette Ornelas called Peeled-Back Patchwork which I then HAD to have :) . It explains the technique and then shows several lovely quilts using the bias edge to make your curves.

Here is a block I made for a local fund-raising contest. The seams get a little thick. Not sure I would want to quilt many of them. Someone be brave and give it a try.

DSC07706.jpg

Archived