Choosing the Right Needle for your APQS Machine--Groz-Beckert now makes Singer needles

You've probably heard the rumor or read reports on the forum about the needle change happening with the Groz-Beckert buy-out of Singer's needle production line.

Check out my latest QuiltTalk--Choosing the Right Groz-Beckert Needle for your APQS Machine to learn why some quilters have successfully used GB needles in the past, while others have not, and more importantly, which GB needles to buy so that they work for EVERY APQS machine!

Well, that explains my "good luck". :P The GB needles I've had such good luck w/are exactly the packaging you show as the new packaging to look for.

I have some of the other GBs and they stitched alright, but the FFG are actually not as sharp a point as the R and they would break in stiff applique. The Rs go thru horrendously thick appliques w/no probs. Love 'em. I'm glad to know why they worked!

Thank you Dawn!

Originally posted by LinneaMarie

Thanks Dawn! You are THE BESTEST!!!

I bought 100 of these "wrong" buggers at MQS from Superior. They work, but I kinda have to plat with it a bit to get it set right. Maybe I can sell them and get the "right" ones!

Linnea, Superior Threads has excellent customer service and they will surely take these wrong size needles back and replace them with the correct ones you need. Just give them a call.

I have to ditto what Shana just said. Temple at Superior called all the way to the GB factory (in Germany I think) to get the scoop on the points (FFG/RS/R) when I was shopping for needles w/them. Superior really is awesome to deal with. I'd call them and see what they can do.

I get mine from Ray at www.quilttech.com After I place my order I put in the notes (or call him) and specify R or RS.

Hello Dawn,

Firstly, thanks for a great day in Des Moines. Off course I learnt heaps, but have had no time to do any of the "homework" as yet! And all teh best of luck in the competition... the quilt looked great.

Amy told us all about the change in Needles when we had our two days with her, which was also great, because now all I want to do is get my hands on the machine and make her do what she is supposed to do! ;) (.....And no hammers are to be involved, Amy said so.)

As far as the jacket is concerned........... yeah, that is me....... the Aussie Blonde!! I have sent you a U2U.

Regards,

Madelyn,

Yes, George uses the same needle. You should have no problems so long as you stick with an MR.

Just a clarification, I want to make sure you all understand that you certainly can purchase other style GB needles from vendors; it's just that APQS machines will work the very best with needles that have the GB factory designation as MR 1955.

Have a great weekend. It's finally below 90 degrees in Iowa after nine sweltering days!

I emailed Bob at Superior and he will either give me a refund or trade for something else. Like I never buy thread! hohoho Superior does not have the MR 1955 ones; at least not yet. Gotta love those folks!:D:D

Dawn, that was some great info about the needles. I wondered what the diff was. Now I can see it!

Thanks for all your wonderful words of wisdom!!:):)

Some of the reasons to use an MR type needle are: Hook spacing is not so critical with the big Scarf and a large Scarf will give a bigger loop in the thread for the hoop point to pick up. (This equals fewer skipped stitches) The APQS machine is not unique using a standard hook. Any machine that uses this size needle will benefit from the large scarf. This scarf design is not unique to the MR needles. Other manufactures make a similar needle but can not designate them MR. I have used MR needles on Nolting machines with great results.

John

Archived