NQR - another blonde moment

Well - I am back in the northwest but not without incident......

We loaded the car Friday afternoon - being sure to leave time to get to the postal store in case we couldn't get everything in - smart plan - had to send 2 small boxes. Up early Saturday morning (4:30) and left at 5:30. Ok, all is well and ready for the first stop. Went to the ladies room and came back to the car to get little Tucker so he could use the grass........ the car door next to his car seat was locked - so opened the front door, flipped the lock switch, shut that door, reached to open Tucker's door ........ LOCKED AND SO WAS EVERY DOOR OF THE CAR WITH THE KEYS IN THE IGNITION!!!! Had flipped the switch the wrong way. Looked at DH - he looked at me & now what.......... Anyway, neither of us had a quick answer - I felt totally stupid and almost ready to cry. But, lucky us, this nice gentleman came over and told us to call the fire department and they would have a "lock-out" kit. Went into the gas station mini-mart - made the phone call - actually 2 phone calls because the first station did not have a "lock-out" kit. I thought they might send just one of their guys over in a small vehicle - but no!! here comes the big fire truck with 3 very! good looking firemen (no siren thank goodness) and saved the day in about 3 minutes! I tried to give them a donation for whatever charity, etc., but they finally said to put it toward AAA - I guess I need to do that. Anyway, I felt so dumb and was so grateful that we weren't stuck for quite some time and my little Tucker was not trapped in the car for too long. We lost only about 1/2 hours and were very careful and all the stops we took along the way.

So - if you ever lock yourself out of your car and do not have AAA - call the fire department - they or one of the stations should have this "lock-out" kit. Seeing how this works also shows one how easy it is for the bad guys to get into your car even if locked!!! Another lesson learned..........:P:P

Oh Meg, you are tooo funny!

When I worked in Colorado, I was "on the road" all the time.... I often jumped out of the car and left it running while I went in to pick up ads... We got a new car with those push button locks, and I was constantly locking myself out of the car...

My boss made me run over to the hardware to get some extra keys so they would have some at the newspaper where I worked.... I got there, jumped out of the car, and you guessed it! I locked the keys in the car at the hdwe where I was supposed to get more made! My coworkers presented me with a chain to wear the key around my neck...

Perhaps it's the years of bleach?

Originally posted by meg_marsh

......."lock-out" kit. Seeing how this works also shows one how easy it is for the bad guys to get into your car even if locked!!!

Yes! So, that means we should not leave valuables stored in the vehicle because even without a lock-out kit, it's too easy for the crooks to break a window to get in.

Glad all worked out OK and that Tucker got his visit on the grass and you all stayed on schedule. And that you got to flirt with some cute firemen, too. Nice way to start the day... thinking about these cute guys and how they saved the day in their big red truck... lol :) Makes me want to lock myself out of the car just to have that happen to me too...but alas I have a keyless entry pad on the door,,, so I can't have that excuse.

The blonde calls the fire department in a panic. She has locked her keys in the car with her poor puppy inside.

"Ma'am, we will be there immediately. It's such a hot day, we are concerned for your dog."

"Oh, don't worry about that--one of the windows is down."

:P:P:P

davis constanly locks himself outta his company van, so he carries a spare in his wallet. i had a friend in college who had a hidden magnetic key safe on her car as she did the same thing. i use to do it too until i developed the habit of not hitting the lock unless i had the keys in my hand. then once i was outta the car i put them in my purse...

but meg i feel your pain! i rented a car to do a class outta state and locked my self outta it in the parking lot of the store. thankfully it was a new car (less than a year) and the warrenty covered the locksmith...i felt like such an idiot, trying to teach with all my hand outs and the pattern copies locked in the trunk just outside...my students and i just laughed about it...i wasn't lucky enough to get hot firmen tho...i might lock my keys in my car on purpose :P

Oh Meg, I'm not blond & I locked myself out of the car TWICE in one week and then out of the house a few days later!!! I was in my flannel nightgown and just went to take a bag of trash out. I had to go over to the neighbor's house & ask to use the phone. I was the laughing stock at hubby's work for almost a year. Learned my lesson well & we are AAA Members now!

I've locked myself out of a few cars in my time. Many years and a number of cars ago, I got an alarm system. To activate the alarm and lock the doors, you pressed a little button on the key chain. Every car since has a similar key chain. I got in the habit of only locking the doors with the little button. Of course to do that you have to have the keys in your hand.

I never knew about the firemen.

I think that must be a part of the fireman application test. You must be attractive. My grandfather was a fireboat captain, and he was pretty cute when he was younger. One of the nephews is also a cutie, and a fireman.

My cute fireman story is that I was walking my dog, and on our route there are about 5-8 Chihauas (I know, not spelled right!) They move so fast, you can't count them all. Anyway, one was outside of the fence, and on a busy street. I tried to go to the neighbors house to get them to help, but no one was home. With my dog, I knew that there was no way the little dog was going to come near me. I went on down to the firestation, and knocked at their door. They were so nice, sent 2 guys with me back to the house with the dogs, but by the that time he seemed to have found his way back in.

The guys at the station are always so nice, they say hi when we walk by, wave when the truck goes by with lights flashing, and even talk to us at the grocery store. "You're the ones with the dogs, aren't you?" (by the way, I think my husband was a tad jealous. He teased me about flirting with the fireman)

Thanks for sharing about the lock out kit, I'm sure I'll need to know that someday.

Glad you made it, Meg! I can imagine you were frantic while little Tucker was lockied in the car. This is the kind of thing that makes a trip memorable, but not quite the memories you'd like to have. Glad it was only for a short time and everything worked out OK.

Love all these stories!!! A chuckle never hurts - thanks for adding your own mishaps - have enjoyed completely!!!!!!:D:D Only thing - wish I were a little (a lot) younger so I could have flirted with those cute firemen ............ instead - DH there and I am a bit over the hill..........

Originally posted by meg_marsh

......wish I were a little (a lot) younger so I could have flirted with those cute firemen ............ instead - DH there and I am a bit over the hill..........

Hey, a girl is never too old to flirt with cute firemen with a big red truck especially when they arrive at the crack of dawn to rescue you. lol!!

I actually accidently locked my daughter in my car in FL when she was an infant and was saved by a car thief who helped me...he saw me frantic and calmly went over to his car and got out the breakin tools and opened my door for me. This was years ago....I always remember to have my keys in my hand now...some of us have to learn the hard way!

Vicki

I have a 2008 Prius and I don't think it will let me lock my keys in my car. That is a very good thing as I have l locked keys in many of my previous cars. Some of my friends became very adept at opening my car for me. I ended up putting keys for each of my cars in my desk drawer. Calling AAA wasn't an option because security would have never let them in to where the car was parked.

Pamela

thanks for the good stories.

I have locked myself out of two vans. The first was an older one that hubby used. There was only the key for the ignition, not one for the door. I went to town, parked, locked the van (like the good little wife as he had taught me to with all other cars) and went to shop. Came back and had to walk a couple of blocks to his brother's to see if he could get me in. Another brother came too, we borrowed a 3 ft , 1/2 inch dowel rod from the local store and got the side vent open, used the dowel to rock open the side door lock. I returned the dowel and went on home.

The other time was with the new 2006 van, stopped at my mailbox, got out and let the door shut. Went to get back in and I was locked out with the van running!! Walked down the driveway and used hubby's keys to get in and "drive" home. I must have hit the lock post with my elbow as I was getting out of the door. I used to be blonde, but haven't been for a long time, It must take time to come to the surface.

When I lived in a real city, after locking myself out several time, I finally got into the habit of locking the door with the key. That way if they weren't in my hand, the doors didn't get locked.

Now I live in the sticks. The keys are always in the ignition, the doors are only locked if we're in town and there's some event going on with "outsiders" :D around...like now. The High Sierra Music Festival is here over the 4th.

Firemen stories: When I was working in the DA's office in Reno, my team was on the second floor. The firemen came for a false fire call, so the other two secretaries and myself sat on the ledge with the window open admiring the view. They sure are cute...I think its a requirement for the job!

This has nothing to do with locking myself out, but yesterday when I was quilting my watermelon quilt, I was using 1 cone of thread... that meant that when I ran out of bobbins, i had to cut the thread and take the cone to the bobbin winder and wind more bobbins...

Now, I don't mind doing that since my feet need a break anyway.. however the first time I did it I forgot to take the cone and reattach it to the thread so I could sew.... When I ran out of top thread, I got the giggles cause it was such a silly thing to do... Imagine my chagrin when after having to wind more bobbins the second time and reminding myself over and over to reattach the thread again - and you're right!! I forgot again and again ran out of thread! Talk about blond!

Archived