Spanish Steps Quilt with new pictures

I have got the this Spanish Steps quilt, a Judy Martin pattern from a customer. I wonder if anybody have quilted this before and have any ideas?

I think I will have some sort of feathers in the white area.

I think its important to point out the shadows, but I'm not sure how to do that.

post--13461902108993_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I went looking for pictures on Judy's website, but didn't find any pics. from quilters who had completed this particular quilt. Sometimes you can get some inspiration for quilting from the pics. posted there.

http://www.judymartin.com/Viewer-Photos.cfm

Or from one of Judy's' books. Sorry, I can't be of more help. The Spanish Steps quilt you have is beautiful! Love the deep beige background color. It looks like feathered wreathes in the open blocks and Terry twist in the nine patches would be pretty. That is my first thought. Is that really a shadow behind each piece of fabric in the picture of the quilt?

I am really anxious to see what you finally decide. I made one of these several months ago and am having a difficult time deciding what to quilt, too. The shadows make the white space non-symetrical so a wreath just doesn't fit without messing up the shadows. The only thing I could imagine would be meandering feathers as a background that didn't go into the shadows and SID the shadows themselves (Oh how I hate those 3 letters and I would never suggest it unless it was a last resort). Good luck and I hope you get some good suggestions because I'd like them, too.

Hi Merete,

Here is a thought about the shadows.

Since the shadows make the colored "chain" parts look as though they are floating, place whatever motif (feathered wreath, stencil to fill the area) just as if the shadows weren't there. If the wreath is centered in the open area between the chains, the shadows will cast upon the base and look even more three-dimensional. It will seem as if you can see beyond the chains to the background--where the design would naturally be if you were looking straight on. I hope I have explained this clearly.

Have fun and pictures please when you finish?:)

I have now finished the quilt from my customer. The first picture I showed here was Judy Martins quilt. I'm not sure my customer have got the shadow effect she wanted, maybe she should have used a lighter grey fabric...

I quilted the quilt as the shaodows wasn't there, feathers in the light parts and CC in the 9-patch block. Just piano keys int the outer border.

post--13461902153007_thumb.jpg

Archived