My name is Dory, and I'm a Fabriholic...

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Friends of ours are getting married this coming Saturday (July 18) and silly me... I decided (at the last moment...wedding is five days from today...) that I would make a lap size quilt as a gift.

So...On my lunch hour today, I just bought six yards of fabric from my LQS....

Do I have enough fabric in my stash at home to make a quilt? Yes. I probably have enough to make at least 10 quilts...probably more like 20 quilts...maybe more... and truthfully I am afraid, yes very afraid... to really know how much yardage I really do have..... so instead I choose not to think about that part.

Did I remind myself that "Shana, it's five days from now are you nuts?" Yes. Yes I had that conversation with myself several times.

Did I rationalize and consider using my stash rather than buy more fabric? Yes. Yes. Yes I really did.

Did I follow my rationalization not to use my stash and buy more fabric because 1) I just don't have the heart to cut into my stash, and 2) with the looming deadline, frankly it would just take me too much precious time to thumb through my fabrics at home and 3) this new fabric is way cool looking and that the newly wedded couple would like it better? Yes and yes and yes.

I am a fabriholic. Yes.

Somebody.....puhleeeeeze help meeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmmm....maybe I should have called this thread: I'm a Fabriholic and Darn Proud of it!!

Shana, if I had an LQS, I'd be just like you. I do have plenty of fabric at home to cut into, but what if I cut into it and then the perfect quilt pattern comes along and I've already used the fabric that I should have saved???:o

Other than your limited time....I think go for it!! What pattern are you going to use? Will you be calling in sick the next few days at work or just giving up on ever sleeping again???

:P I think I might do the Turning 20 pattern or something with huge, really big blocks (can you say Giant 9-Patch?) and then quilt it with those freehand longarm feathers & swirly thingies I've been doing a lot of lately. Goes fast and looks fabulous, them feathers & swirls do.

DH left on an airplane this morning and is gone all week so I have all the evenings to git er dun plus Friday is my day off so I can finish it up on Friday and Saturday (wedding is at 5:00 PM on Sat so I have time there, too). I sew the binding on both sides by machine and can do a lap size binding in an hour on my DSM.

I'm not sure what you mean by flange on a binding. Anyway, for binding utility quilts and gifts, what i do is I cut my binding 2 1/2" and fold in half and press, then I use my walking foot to stitch down from the back of the quilt first with mitered corners, then I fold over to the front and stitch down the final seam with narrow margin at the fold. Looks pretty good! I use clear thread in the bobbin so you can't see it on the back. Looks better with clear thread in bobbin.

You basically do the same with the flange, except it has a flange...;)

You sew two fabrics together to the width you want the binding, with the wider one being the one that shows the most on the back and the "flange" being the narrower one. Sew on from the back first, then when sewing on from the front, you stitch down the same line where the two fabrics were joined. This leaves the "flange" loose and framing the quilt. There...clear as mud???:D

Great post!! Just reading it all through now.... yes - I have the same problem. I need to stack-back into my stash a pile of purple fabrics I pulled out for a project. They are in my way on the cutting table and I have to keep moving them to cut another project I just HAVE to start on.... oh!

Shannon - Thanks for posting that link, I really enjoyed the comics too!! :P

I would love to see more photos of everybodys stash!!! Fun to see the colors they have and how they organize it all - - please post more photos!!!

Still a fabriholic and going shop hopping this weekend. There will be 3 of us and we each have our own laundry basket in the back of the vehicle to keep our stashes separate. Anyone else do this?

Shana, as far as a wedding quilt fast, I started this one at 7:30 a.m. as far as picking out the fabrics in my stash, sketching what was in my head because I didn't have time to go through my patterns, and writing down measurements and started cutting. I was literally sweating and still in my PJ's when my friend showed up to ride with me to the wedding at 5:30 p.m.. Wedding started at 6:30 p.m. and I had time to shower and get there just as she was about to walk down the aisle. I finished whipping the sleeve on the back on the half hour drive from the wedding to the reception. This picture was taken in the Wal-Mart parking lot where we had to stop and buy a gift bag big enough for it to fit in. Granted the quilting was all over meandering, but the couple loved it, especially since the back had red roses on it and that's the flowers she had at her wedding, and they call it their "heirloom" present. If they only knew.:P:P:P Good luck, Shana!

post--13461902162251_thumb.jpg

Yes, Shana, truly ONE day! I obviously had an angel perched on my shoulder because I didn't have to rip anything out and it just "flowed". I didn't even get the idea to do a quilt for her until we were decorating at her reception the night before the wedding, and I told her she needed a black, white, and red quilt hanging behind where they were cutting their cake. She made the comment, "Well, you just go home and whip one out, why don't you?" Then we all just laughed. Little did she know I stepped up to the challenge. You should have seen the look on her face!! Priceless!!!

Oh, crap...I forgot the label!!! Now you tell me!!!!:P:P:P

OK so we all agree we are fabriholics whether we see that as a problem or a blessing is entirely up to us. My excuse is just because I can...

I guess the next burning question is why the heck can't we cut into our stash ??????????? We find a great pattern or have a great idea for a quilt and instead of heading for the stash we head for the LQS.. OH thats right, silly me its quicker and new fabric always feels so good :P:P

I admitted that I am a Fabriholic. Yesterday I was on a business trip and managed to get a lunch break. Yes there was a QS just around the corner from the place of business. And I had to stop and look and buyyyyy....

The package of 7 yards of material is still in my car. I have to wait for DH to leave the house to get it into my quilt studio.

I must say it was a great business trip with 6 hours of travel time and 45 minutes at a QS!!!:cool::cool:

OMG, I am doomed!

I stopped into the store near work at lunch to buy a new GO die and the owner told me she went NUTS at market and ordered a ton of Batiks. She doesn't even know where she is going to put them all.

I see more lovely batiks in my future. One advantage to being single is that you don't have to sneak anything any where. I may need to buy another book case from Ikea for storage though. :cool: And more of those Polar Notion fabric holders also. :D:D:D

Did someone say addiction?

Linda, I sent a U2U. Let me know if you don't get it because it's my 1st time to send one.

Thanks, Tracy G.

It's amazing to know how many others like to FEEL and SMELL their stashes. I thought my pal Paulette was the only one with that NEED. I guess us FABRIHOLICS all have our habitual rituals associated with our fabric addiction. :P

Oh my I love this thread. Cindy your quilt is lovely and you must sew super fast.

Shana can hardly wait to read your adventure this week and see the finished project.

At least now I don't have to feel guilty about buying new stash. I belong to a club and have to keep up with the rest of you, the Fabriholic Club.:D

It was a very short trip!:D I looked at Fabric Depot's site again this weekend, but then changed my mind and didn't push the button. But yesterday...well, I got an e-mail from eQuilter and it was the beginning of the end. This is just one of the fabrics I purchased...I'm a sucker for kokopelli!;)

post--13461902166449_thumb.jpg

Archived