My name is Dory, and I'm a Fabriholic...

Cindy T,

I am just about ready to start custom work on a quilt that looks like a smaller allover version of yours. And yes, I am a FABRICHOLIC. I took 4 yo Leah, our friend Lesa & her 19 yo daughter shopping for 'the anniversary quilt' fabrics in chocolate, mint and cream. Leah was all over the place looking for colors to match and carrying big bolts over to us to choose from. She also had to thumb thru stacks and stacks of fat quarters to choose her 2 for being good. She has a nice collection of fat quarters too. She's not quite a fabricholic, maybe a fabric-ette?

post--13461902166563_thumb.jpg

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have a trick to get newly aquired fabric in the house right under DH's nose...here's the trick....keep a tote in the car, you know, one of those you carry everything in it (i have a reusable one from kroger)....then when you bring in new fabric, just say "this, no, it's not new, i took it to the LQS to see if they had a fabric to match the {insert color choice} but they didn't, so now i have to go to the other one tomorrow and see if i can find anything there" then you get to go to another LQS and buy more fabric and use the same 'explanation'

after a while, they'll stop being curious....

hey it works for me :P don't tell him tho...it took me two years to train him to this response...

I'm not a fabricholic, but my mother is. It took me a year to find homes for each piece of fabric that filled up the entire back seat of her car. I kept a few pieces and still wonder what I'll make from them. She is now 82 and has an entire life time of fabric in their basement. I haven't been to their house in six years and wonder what it looks like now. Back then it was knee deep all over the floors, piled in all the chairs, filled walls of cupboards that Dad made. JoAnn's has nothing on my mother, though I think the local store would close if Mom stopped buying fabric. When I do visit next summer I'll have to take photos to show you all. None of it is organized like your stashes, or is it boxed or binned. I'm worried that one day I will have to find homes for the fabric. She would want them all to be placed in good homes. Hmmm, I'll keep all your addresses and one day send a box to each of you.

When I checked out their motor home there was fabric in every cupboard. I asked Dad if this bothered him and he said "Well, I'm a very lucky guy. Your mother doesn't go out with other men and she doesn't drink. So if she likes to buy fabric, then that is okay with me. It makes her very happy just to look at it." Mom doesn't need to make it into anything, though each piece has a purpose I'm sure, she likes the fabric for eye appeal. The fabric satisfies her creative spirit.

There have been times when she has rescued me with pieces from her winter residence stash here in Arizona. It's wonderful to see all the places where Mom's stash has ended up - our guild's banner, our state banner, autism charity quilt, breast cancer donation quilt, hospice quilts, five other charities our club is sponsoring, a vest for a friend, a bag full for a quilter on a limited retirement budget, several of my quilts, and you get the idea of how many other places these fabrics go as well as all her relatives who received gifts of quilts. It's wonderful how these collected fabrics are spread far and wide.

We all may have a lot of fabric, a relative term to many, but it is the value of how good it makes us feel and the love that is spread through our stitches. I'm a firm believer in mushy thoughts and words to go along with all the laughter. I love my mother and her fabric addiction.

Vicki

Oh dear! My name is Kenna and I, too, am a fabricholic. I don't have a big stash, but what I do have gets used (mostly), or I start with a plan for it. I think I'm likw Vickie's mother, I just like to look at it, and pet it, and smell it! Now if I could just become a Peiceaholic I could release my inner Fabricholic and get something done!

Hi, Vickie! Where have you been?! What marvelous art quilts are you hiding from us? I know you've been working on something very cool!

Originally posted by kimmiequilts

I may have a lot of Stash but Dory I don't have any horses! :)

Well, no kidding, Kim! With that kind of stash, who could afford horses??:D:P:D:P

Okay, you come ride and I'll come play with your stash...seems fair.

Originally posted by doodlebug

i have a trick to get newly aquired fabric in the house right under DH's nose...here's the trick....keep a tote in the car, you know, one of those you carry everything in it (i have a reusable one from kroger)....then when you bring in new fabric, just say "this, no, it's not new, i took it to the LQS to see if they had a fabric to match the {insert color choice} but they didn't, so now i have to go to the other one tomorrow and see if i can find anything there" then you get to go to another LQS and buy more fabric and use the same 'explanation'

When I had a job that required dresses and nice shoes, I did almost the same thing. I'd bring home the dress or shoes and hide them in the closet for a week or two (sometimes longer). Then when I wore it and was asked if it were new, I could honestly say "nope," and not even be lying. After all, it'd been in the closet for weeks. ;)

I don't have a stash either compared to Kim. In fact...our local small quilt shop here doesn't even begin to compare to the fabric that Kim has! WOW. That should mean that I get to buy more fabric. Right? But where to put it. And what to do with it.

I have started to buy only those pieces that I do need to finish up projects or pieces for backings.

Okay to say I have a lot of fabric is true, however....I started working in a fabric shop when I was 16 and I actually have fabric that old as well as from all the quilts I've made for my kids, my DD will be 30. I made my first quilt for her out of flannel scraps from PJ's that I'd made for all of my family members during the energy crisis in the 70's. That's all vintage....:P

I used to make many quilts a year and then I got Millie and the quilts started coming and then more and I didn't know how to say no. Finally I have stopped taking new customers and don't have my cards at my LQS anymore. My established customers keep me too busy still, which is great, their business paid for my Millie. I don't buy much fabric anymore, it has to be special and I have been using my stash to make quilts as much as I can.

I freely admit that I am a sick woman when it comes to fabric and books!! I am truly blessed with my 4 adult children, 3 of whom still live here and the other not too far away with his wonderful wife. I have a very understanding DH, (he has Lionel trains!) and two gorgeous Golden Retrievers and my little grand-dog, a cocker spaniel I have great quilty friends who completely 'get' me and my addiction and others who just smile and love me anyway! On top of all that I have my buds here on the forum, you make me smile, inspire me and even let me bare my stash to you all. Thank you! ;)

Archived