McTavish Wholecloth class at NW Quilting Expo

HI,

Is anyone taking the Karen McTavish Wholecloth Design class at the Northwest Quilting Expo in Portland in September?

If anyone has taken this class in the past, I'd love to hear a little about the class and how you liked it. It's an all day class and sounds interesting.....Mercedes

If you have Facebook - post the question there for a immediate answer - there are award winning quilters who are on Facebook that have won awards from their wholecloth quilts that were done in my class - they will post back immediately. Hopefully - you have a facebook. Or I can post the question for you - and you can look at the responses I get - so you feel like its a good class.

Which is is in terms of wholecloth production. Not too hard, and no math.

post--13461902469177_thumb.jpg

Karen,

I don't have facebook so can't post there. Would the class be good for a beginner to wholecloth? I've been sewing quilts for many years and just purchased a longarm. I've always had a longing to do wholecloth quilts but not on my home sewing machine.

Now that I own a longarm (Millie) I'm feeling like I can finally pursue that goal - design and quilt my own wholecloth and of course, this will take practice, practice, practice.....Mercedes

Mercedes, take as many of Karen's classes as you can. I took her wholecloth class in NC also, it was amazing. Karen is a fantastic teacher. She teaches her wholecloth class at a level that even a beginner could make one. You will learn designs, trapunto and more. TAKE THE CLASS!

You'll love Karen's classes, you will never look at quilts the same again,, they ALL need trapunto & heirloom! :)

She's a kick in the pants & comfortable in her own skin, and have you quilting things you never thought possible!

It's a ton of fun,, you'll get all the self/help/confidence in quilting and self esteem attitude along with her instruction, never heard of one person that did'nt enjoy her classes,, sign up before it's too late!!:cool:

Hope to see you at the show!

Don't miss her breakfast lecture/truck show~

http://www.nwquiltingexpo.com/special-events-09.html

http://www.nwquiltingexpo.com/index.html

Karen rocks!!!!! She makes you feel like you can do anything.

I am hoping to be able to take at least one of her classes at Expo. just not sure my finances can swing the day class as I am cutting back hours at work. You wont' be sorry if you take it or any of her classes

I have taken Karen's class and it is great. She talks about design and execution of a wholecloth, and has lots of great quilts to show. She brings a huge pile of stencils and you choose which you wish to use on your quilt. You will leave with your cloth stenciled and ready to be quilted. She will help you decide what works together, give you ideas on what to quilt where, where to trapunto etc, on your piece. She is a fabulous teacher, and has a unique energy.

I took this class last fall and must admit that I still have not quilted my piece - I keep thinking I need to get better before I can do it justice. But I do take it out and look at it!

She is also the coolest (do people still use that term) quilter around. The contrast of her very traditional quilting design with the moderness of her personality somehow inspires one to the many possibilities we have to honor the past while embracing the present and future. You will not regret spending a day with Karen!!

Run don't walk to register for Karen's wholecloth quilt class! I have a Quilt Goddess wall in my studio, where I display photos of instructors who have dramatically influenced my approach to quilting & design. Karen holds the #1 spot. I did take this class from Karen in Burlington Ontario, and even though I am a long arm compuquilter, she taught me the basics of placement & design for wholecloth quilting.

Best Wishes to All

Carol Bailey

Harvest Quilt Studio

Mercedes, TAKE THE CLASS! You will not regret it! I took a class from Karen last February and I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard (she's very entertaining and witty)! She is so inspirational and makes everyone feel like they can quilt fabulously no matter what quilting level you are at. If you get any of her books and actually READ them, she writes the books like she speaks. So everytime I want to "hear" Karen's inspirational words of quilting wisdom, all I have to do is pick up one of her books and start reading. The videos are great, too, but in person is BEST! Be sure to post your wholecloth picture when you're done with her class! ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I took her class at MQS this last May and loved it!!! She is great!! But I would take it again just to get the info again .......there were a lot of us in the class and out class was fast and furious because we had a class that had to come in early right behind us.

But I have the basics and she does "rock" like everyone says. She is a great teacher!!

It a no brainer.....TAKE THE CLASS. You will not regret it. Karen has a wealth of info and even if you never get to stitch that whole cloth you designed in her class 4 years ago, you will not forget the lessons learned. Wow has it been that long? I've got to take time for me soon.

I would encourage you to jump at the chance to take a class, any class, from Karen. The first class of any kind I ever took was from Karen. It was her McTavishing lecture/demo class at the Houston show several years ago. I was just beginning to explore machine quilting and wanted to take a couple of classes to see someone handling a longarm in a way that was as close as possible to actually using it to work on a quilt. Meaning I didn't want a salespersons demo just doing random circles or swirls and talking up their machines. I wanted to decide if this was really something I would even be interested in before I started looking at machines. I've never had much interest in peicing, but I started handquilting quilts my mother was makking for family members in 1985, that is where my quilting passion lies. RA has taken away my ability to hand quilt and I don't want that to be the end of my quilting. During Karen's class everything clicked and hand quilting moved to the past and I stepped into my future in machine quilting. Having never touched a machine, never quilted on a DSM, never even considered machine quilting I came out of that class with the conviction that machine quilting was the way I was going.. I could do it, it would keep my interest, I could do more and better and faster. I could be more creative. And on top of all that I could do McTavishing! Well, on paper I can. Seeing Karen in her black hightops and jeans, standing behind that machine doing the splits trying to get herself low enough to brace herself to stitch out what she was talking about was totally charming! And being tall myself that made complete sense! I understood evry longarming term she used. Except PITA charges, and she stopped to explain that. I laughed at that and then laughed again when I looked around and saw some of the ladies in the room trying to look disapproving and sooooo not suceeding! I knew I was going to love this stuff!

Nutshell? Take the class, Honey, you will never be sorry. You will not be able to avoid learning in Karen's classes!

Space still available in Karen's classes at the Retreat in Gladwin MI. Nov. 9th - 13th. She is teaching Victorian Feathering, Mc Tavishing and the Wholecloth Design workshop. The McTavishing class is full but the other 2 classes have a couple spots left. It's going to be a wonderful time. The rooms are comfy-cozy, the food excellent and the sewing space so convenient and spacious!!! I can't wait!!

Archived