Suggestions for storing rulers

Hi,

The lighting is done in my sewing room (aka garage) and I'm starting to put things away. I'm wondering what the best way to store my rulers would be? Do they just go in a drawer or is there a more efficient way to store these where they will take up less space? Suggestions welcome. Thanks...Mercedes

I have two hanging racks - similar to a peg board, but of metal and actually a little nicer looking - one to hang lesser used items at the back of the machine & all my favs on another rack at the front of my machine. This rack also holds little shelf units where I can keep my oil, alcohol, WD40, etc. Both are at one end of the machine. It is all there together in one place and I can see what I need right away rather than having to go through a drawer.

I took a piece of left over hardwood from the studio floors and used a skill saw to cut grooves in it and the rulers stand nicely in 5 rows. That's my piecing rulers and it sits on the cutting table. For my long arm rulers, oil, needles, scissors etc... I'm thinking something like this...

417W7MF6QQL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I'm planning on quilting my own for rulers/tools to line the outside of a 5 gallon pail and pantos can be rolled up and kept inside the bucket. Looks like it will work well.

I don't have any wall space for a rack so I thought something portable would work well. I may even put wheels on it so it can follow me around the studio.

I have one of those grooved boards too for small rulers, the shelf holds others, my 24 inch rulers lay flat on a shelf, and this little caddy----very busy looking because of the background fabric---holds everything I use at the LA. The clear plastic pockets are great because you can see where everything is.

I am not the most efficient nor organized, but I try to keep clutter to a minimum. What I don't use often goes into a closet at the other end of the house or in another room.

post--13461902511648_thumb.jpg

I have a piece of 36 x 48 peg board, we used two strips of 1" x 3/4" x 48" board to set it out just a bit from the wall so the hooks would work and with the studio renovation I decided to paint it to match my wall color. Which turns out a very good decision the board just blends into the wall. I hang my rulers, templates and several quilt related items on the peg board and always know just where they are and no worry about warping.

I have two of those grooved boards for most of my rulers but I mounted a pot lid rack from IKEA on the wall for some of the bulky & oddly shaped ones. Stencils are on something that may have started life as a pot rack...it's a metal grid that sits off the wall 1 inch...there are hooks (like pegboard hooks) used to hold the stencils & various brushes & notions. Hey Meg, I've got the canned air, the oil, the WD 40, but what do you use alchohol for? Nancy in Tucson

Dory, here is a picture of one of my wall units - this one holds all my most important stuff from oil, rags, screw drivers, most used rules, etc. It is 2' x 3'. I love this unit because it actually looks nice and it holds so much stuff. Love the little baskets I can get. I got this at a kitchen place.

post--1346190251189_thumb.jpg

Wow, so many great ideas on storing rulers. I think I like both the peg board type storage along with some type of sewing bag that I could attach with velcro over the machine rails for other small ideas. A trip to the hardware and kitchen store is definitely something I need to do today!

Thanks everyone! Mercedes

Nancy - you need surgical spirit/rubbing alcohol to clean the rails but more particularly, you need GIN in case any friends come over:P

I like Meg's posh kitchen rack with baskets. Matt's bucket bag looks good too.

I have batting samples in an old meat safe and rulers in an ancient enamel bread bin. I keep the gin and glasses in an old kitchen dresser... that's because my husband won't let me keep all that junk in the real kitchen! Now how can I slip an old AGA into my studio?

My DH made this wall ruler holder for my cutting rulers. While sitting here reading your question he said he can make one for the longarm rulers. Here are pistures to show what I have and what we are talking about. Currently my longarm rulers are in the shoe organizer with the pantographs in alph order. maybe this will give you some ideas. Good luck!

post--13461902512071_thumb.jpg

DH made a rack for my quilting templates. I wanted one to hang on the wall, along with the piecing rulers. He used 3 saw blades at a 42 degree angle (I think that is what he said). The top rack is for the templates and the fancy rack for rulers was made by my sister's husband. I have 4 drawers (Iris) that I purchased at the Container Store stacked under the table and keep threads, pantos, and crosshatch rulers in them. On one end of the table I have a very small shelf unit and keep the oil, WD-40, alcohol, cotton swabs, lantern, bobbin winder and a few odds and ends.

post--13461902512459_thumb.jpg

Archived