practice sampler

IBQLTN2

Finally this weekend I got a chance to play with my new toy!! I bought the Circle Lord over a month ago and this is the first time I have had any time to get to play with it. I had made one wreath and figured out how to set it up a month or so ago, but had not had a chance to play and see what designs I could make with it. So, I went and bought some muslin and loaded a 50 x 50 or so piece and just started playing. I thought if I use mathching thread I wil never see what I am doing so I used some Sally Terry Veragated thread that I had purchased at MQX, it is by YLI.

Anyway it is still pretty hard to see the stitching as I dont have enough light. Will have to take more pictures in the daytime. Also, I didnt trim it as I am thinking of putting it back on the frame and doing some freehand meandering around the blocks in cream so it will make the circles pop out more.

2095124870103944654S425x425Q85.jpg

2490481980103944654S425x425Q85.jpg

2130028790103944654S425x425Q85.jpg

Don't look too close I had lots of lots of hiccups, but for the most part it came out well and was really fun. My feather border really was not good at all as I needed to put the board horizontal and I did not want to flip the quilt so I tried to do it vertical and my table is just not wide enough so, it had many starts and stops where I had to try to line it back up and it just didnt work very well. Next time I will do it the other direction. It would have been fine if my machine had a larger bed like the Millie's.

More pictures are on my webshots if you want to see anymore.

2177148280103944654S425x425Q85.jpg

I'm sorry, Peggy, I should have said what I used to make these . I used the basic for some of them and then I used the Aztec and Ginko and mini ginko for the little ones in between the other. Also have the FeatherZ .

The one I used the most and had so many designs to choose from was the Aztec that and the Ginko have tons of designs. The hard part is choosing what to make.

Jeanne,

That looks so cool, I too bought the CL back in July and have had one after another custom quilts to do and still have not had time to play with it yet, did raise my machine and am ready to go, now I really can't wait to finish this current custom quilt and start playing...woo hoo! I hear that this is going to make some of the quilts go pretty quickly after I learn to use it!

So, Jeanne, was the CL easy to set up and use?

I have found that once you get over the "hump" of getting it on the table, you just zip right along. I had a different system when I started and couldn't figure it out at all. I used it about 3 times in 3 years and finally just quit. I was a little scared of the CL at first, I didn't want to think I had bought yet another tool that was too difficult to use. Oh my gosh, I was elated when I realized I could use it and very easily.

Mary Beth, I'll bet you could teach us all a thing or two about using our CLs. I need a little more practice with it before I can zip right along. I've put my name on the list for the front stylus setup because one of my frustrations is getting it set up, then running around to the front to make sure it is in the right place, then back around to get started, etc. If I were just a little taller = oh, well. BTW, I love your new avatar!!

Mary Beth

The Circle Lord was very easy to use and the set up on the Lenni is no problem. I zipped right along and had a great time making all the different designs. The only thing that gave me a problem was the border EZ I think for the smaller bed machines need to have a shorter feather that would fit the machine, either that or only use it in the other direction.

I will ask Michael if he can fit one to the Lenni. He is so good about accomodating us that way.

Mary Beth I thought you were the Circle Lord Queen, have you not used these templates or do you just use the King Size Templates for the big boards? I am very happy with my results, especially for my first time. It can only get better from here. I think my next play time I will use black fabric so it will show up better.

That's a really cool "practice" piece. It's so cool how you can combine different elements to make an infinite number of designs. I can't wait to finish the customer quilt I'm working on so I can get back to my new toy. I have the perfect quilt (customer's) to do circles and such on.

Jeanne, that looks fabulous!!! You did a great job!:P:P

And yes, I think MB is the Circle Lord Queen!! hahaha :P:P

I, too love my Circle Lord!! So many designs from one template is amazing! And those giant ones? Well, I keep thinking I will wear out the Swirls one; but it's just as good as new. Those things are indestructible!

Now to get some $$ for more Ka'Chings before they are not on SALE!!!

I was just asking the question so you would come back and tell us all what a breeze it is to use the CL.

By the way, I like to think of myself as the CL princess....it sounds younger :D Any who, I do use all of the templates. I have a few that I have not taken the time to try out yet, but am planning to on an upcoming quilt.

okay, Mary Beth you can be the CL Princess if you want. I thought there would be a bigger learning curve, but it is pretty simple really, the feather wreath took me a few times to figure out the stitching sequence to follow, pretty much like doing regular feathers with the bump bump except you alternate sides. Easy Peasy! Which is your favorite template? Mine so far is definately the Aztec that has so many designs, it is incredible!

My own feathered wreaths stink! So my favorite is the Featherz Wreath. I need to really sit down and play with the rest and get to know them. I wanted to use the Gingko on one quilt and all of the designes came out larger than my block. I whined to Micheal and he made the Mini, but shhh, don't tell him, I have not had a chance to try it out yet. It's so darned cute, I just love it, can't wait to try it out.

I am so glad you posted this Jeanne because I just went to see Michael (he lives 20 minutes away!) and I took advantage of the giant template sale and our strong Canadian dollar. I also got the Gingko mini, the Aztec, and the Spiro-thingy. I already had the Featherz.

I didn't get the push button thingy yet because I decided I had spent enough, but my next purchase will be that plus a couple of the cross hatch templates.

I can't wait to play, but I have customer quilts to do first!

Ok, Princess Mary Beth it is!! And when I see you at MQS next year I will bow!!:P:P:P hahaha

My favorite is the Ginkgo, no wait...........the Aztec, hmmm......maybe the Featherz; I really like the feathered border.:P:P I think they are ALL my favorites!! My purse tells me it's a good thing I don't live 20 minutes from Michael and Kay! I would drive those two to move!! hahaha and be broke; :o more broke than I am.

Yeah, Caroline, good for you. It is so much fun to play with and practice, but what is really neat is being able to incorporate these designs into our quilts. I have my been dreaming about how I am going to use the Circle Lord to do my next quilt which will be the oriental Circle quilt. Kind of an artsy one. Oooooh I cant wait to get that on the frame and started. The creative juices have been in overdrive ever since I worked on this sampler last weekend. Sooo much fun! Stay tuned, it will be next, probably a few weeks before it will be ready! Life so gets in the way of my hobbies:cool::P

Archived