MQS 2010

I know it's a bit early to start thinking about next May, but I am seriously thinking of going to MQS. My husband, who has no interest in quilting, wants to come too. Although I am greateful for his interest and company, I am wondering if there are others out there who have non-quilting spouses come along with them to MQS or other conventions. (Notice I didn't say 'husbands' because maybe there are non-quilting wives out there too!).

Does anyone else have spouses who come with them? Are there things for them to do in Overland Park? Any thoughts?

I see many husbands who accompany their wives to MQS. We live in the area, but my husband has attended with me for two years. There are certainly things to do in the Kansas City area. The Truman Library is a short drive away in Independence. The Nelson Atkins art museum is a great place in Kansas City. The Negro League museum is in Kansas City, if he is a baseball fan. The World War I memorial is in Kansas City. All these things would require transportation, but if you are driving or have a rental car, that is no problem. It is relatively easy to get around in Kansas City, and a MapQuest search for any of the above mentioned attractions would give you easy directions from the Overland Park Convention Center. There are a lot of wonderful places to eat in Kansas City. If he decides to attend with you, I am sure those who live in the immediate area could point you to many of them. (If he is like my husband, he could be happy just napping for the majority of the time!)

I always say take the other half with you, especially if there is something there you want to buy. Show them what you want and how much easier it would make things for you or the different things you could do with it. A lot of times they give in, especially if you let them think it was their idea to get it. It always worked on my wife. If they say no, then just lay on the floor and start yelling and kicking your feet.........that worked once for me.

Oh Liam - you are too funny! My husband is usually very understanding when I want to buy something - however, it alway helps to lay on the floor (but I don't have to yell and kick my feet - usually just laying on the floor is all it takes ;)!

Actually, it is not the shopping part I'm worred about, and he is not a napper - but it does sound like there would be things for him to do while I am in classes. He does like history and museums and such. Thanks for that info Lynn..

I have already booked my room for MQS. My mom came with my last year. She is a quilter, but not a longarmer. She took a tote bag class but no LA classes. She will be coming back with me again this year.

Plus my friend's daughter will be joining us this year. She does beautiful LA work and is looking forward to learning some new things.

Tony123, not sure where you live in NC, but I was able to get really cheap flights on Southwest Airlines from RDU to MCI last year. It was just over $50 each way due to a sale they were having when I booked.

So far the DH hasn't tagged along but if he did we'd just add the motorcycle on a trailer. Just riding around all day makes him happy. We did that when I went to a big cake decorating show in Portland, OR and he was happy as a clam in mud! After the show, he took me back to the interesting places he saw. It was great.

Wow, There are alot of great ideas here. Sounds like spouses tag along all the time. I especially like the one where DH can take the course on Millie maintenance - I just don't know how much HE will like that idea! I know he would enjoy sightseeing, but he is not a golfer or nor does he ride a motorcycle. I'll mention all these ideas to him .

Another option for us is the Quilting with Machines show next October. It is much closer to Ontario and there is the possibility of driving. That way I could load up my van with purchases and bring them home ourselves.. hmmm?

So much to think about, but it is all good thoughts.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

I was wondering where she was at too MB! HI Jackie!!!!!

Caroline, ... just bring him along! He'll enjoy all of our chatter, especially in the evenings when were sitting around tossing a few back!

I think there are more significant other's who go off to do whatever during the day, then, at nite, we meet them sitting w/their spouses having drinks. There are alot of men at MQS. Don't be shy...bring him along!

I am asking mine to come down the last 2 days. If I can hop a ride with someone, i'll make him come and get me, so he can meet everyone!

Thanks for the kind words girls. I have been busy with "home" stuff. As a lot of you know, we have our 16 1/2 year old grandson we have had since he was a baby. Just about to get him raised and end up with another grandchild. Our 13 year old granddaughter came to live with us in July. Man!! I'm getting way too old for this stuff.

Just about time to get in gear for the next MQS show. Will start taking volunteer apps in December from IMQA members.

• 2 weeks later...

Caroline,

Just a word of warning. My husband went with me to MQX and took the machine maintenance class. When we got home, he wanted to take my machine apart, not because there was anything wrong with it but "because he could". I didn't let him, of course. He also took a panto class and a few others that he thought would be interesting, thread tension or something like that. He is an engineer and loves machinery. He enjoyed the show and said he would go again. I also made an effort to do things that he wanted to do such as visit local museums and historical spots. That way, we both enjoyed ourselves.

Archived