Best ruler base?

cjtinkle

There's pros and cons for both the Hartley base and the Ruler Mate. I love my Hartley base because I can slide it on and off. The Ruler Mate is a great base, but screws on (I think). Most of the quilters on here leave their base on all the time, so the Ruler Mate is their choice.

I have them both. The Ruler Mate is on right now because I was having some thread breaking and trying to finish a quilt. I thought there could be a burr on the needle plate so I switched from using my Hartley Base to the Ruler Mate. The Ruler Mate is okay....I'm just not as sold on it as some of the others. I have long fingers...as well as the rest of me...but my Hartley Base seems to have the extra space I need when trying to do ruler work...and since that is what these bases are designed for. I would say I prefer the Hartley Base. It is totally what ever "tits" you. What works for one person, or 10 people may not work for you.

I too have both and like Connie said there are pro's and con's to both. The Hartley base does come on and off much easier. With the RulerMate you have to remove the throat plate and screw on the RulerMate so if you wanted it off you would have to unscrew it and put the throat plate back on. The Hartley base is wide though and gives your hands more of a place to rest, which I like much better. The RulerMate is one continuous piece so if you have to do ruler work behind the hopping foot you don't have problems with the cut out area that the Hartley has. I would say that it is almost an even match. I still have both but will probably end up selling the Hartley. If you are interested let me know.

I have had both, the Rulermate and the Hartley base. Between the two I prefer the Hartley base and sold my Rulermate. The Rulermate is good too, and the surface is smoother with no cutout behind the needle where the ruler can get caught. The drawback to it is that you have to unscrew everything to take it on and off, and it is not as large as the Hartley base. The Hartley base just slides on and off, plus I use my Hartley base with the extra big base expander that someone on here was/is making to put behind the Hartley base and I reallly like it for that. But either are excellent, it's just whichever fits your needs better.

I also have both. I could never get comfortable with the Hartley Base. It seemed to catch on the quilt and caused a lot of drag. The Ruler Mate has curved edges, no catching or drag. The down side to the Ruler Mate is that it's smaller and is semi-permanent. I leave it on all the time and haven't had any problems with it. I did need to raise my leveler and quilt top bars but that was pretty easy.

I have both too, but I only use my RulerMate. Like many here I only take it off when I am deep cleaning the machine. But then I would be taking the normal plate off the machine at that those times too.

I very rarely do a quilt that has no SID or ruler work on it, I really like that I don't have to put the base on every time I want to use a ruler.

I really like my Hartley base. Love that I can just slide it on or off when needed. Also the size is great if you want to do any marking on the quilt while it is on the frame. I can just plop a stencil down and pounce it with the base on. I don't like to keep a base on as it creates drag on the quilt.

RulerMate by Donita Reeve. My wife has a Hartley base but it is tippy and drags under the quilt. The RulerMate is attached full time and doesn't touch the quilt, no drag. Donita also sells her rulers and they are excellent. Like Angela, my wife usually does some ruler work on her quilts so the RulerMate is attached all the time.

The Hartley base, well it is in the box it came in.

Archived