getting started

My name is Nancy and I am waiting for the delivery of my Millennium. I have some machine quilting experience (handi quilter set up with a Brother machine) and can't wait to step up. I want to practice a lot and work on some of my own tops and eventually go professional. Any recommendations for what thread to order to begin? Thanks in advance for all your help.

Hi Nancy,

Welcome and congratulations on your Millie. You will get lots of suggestions regarding thread. Some of my favorites are Glide www.bobbincentral.com set up a user name and password and you will be able to receive a sample set of thread and Magna bobbins. The other threads I really like are Isacord and Fufu www.sewingmachine.com my machine really likes all of these threads.

Enjoy your machine I hope that you won't have to wait too long for it to arrive.

Sue

Hi Nancy,

When I started out I used the Superior So Fine. I had fewer tension issues with poly. Then I went to Signature Cotton which I like. A very slippery but wonderful thread is the Rheingold line. The sheen is beautific. There are so many wonderful threads out there. King Tut is my favorite variegated. Check out Dawn C's tips on threading the guides when using different threads. It's very helpful.

After I'd bought threads of many colors, I'd heard someone comment that another long arm quilter said she used either light gray or medium gray unless the customer actually asked for a different color. So on the next quilt I decided to use a gray, and it is a great neutral, though I find myself using a gold color (not metallic) a lot. You can blow your budget with thread, so it is a good idea to plan ahead and choose some colors you think you'd be using.

Sharon

www.roseofsharonquilting.com

Also, PermaCore runs like butter through my machine (2009 Millie). I love King Tut, never had any problems, also Lava and Rainbows. I just finished a quilt with the Metro Embroidery thread. Love that too! I used it top and bobbin. Go here :http://www.metroemb.com/

Welcome to our family and have fun!!!:P:P

I would get Superior So Fine for the top and Superior Bottom Line for the bobbin in a few neutral colors: navy, red, dark grey, med gray, light gray, taupe and cream. You can do just about any quilt with these colors.

When you're just starting, you want to get thread that blends and doesn't show every little bobble. Also, use backing fabric that is busy - this will also hide your bobbles.

Just remember - the hardest thing is to be brave enough to try new things. You will learn faster than you fear. Just keep practicing!

Good luck!

Julia

Hi Nancy, I am Nancy also, and also a newbie. My Lenni arrived the beginning of March. I'm just ordering thread for the first time, so I understand your questions. This forum is a wonderful resource for all areas of quilting, and they are very friendly and helpful. Welcome, and hope you enjoy your Mille!

Nancy

Thanks for the good ideas for colors, brand, and 'busy' backing. Sounds like a plan. Re: Gonediving we are scuba divers and have been many exotic places. (Fiji was my all time favorite with Palau a close second) I think those days are gone now for many reasons, but the memories are wonderful! I am so excited about my Millie which will be delivered next week. :)

Nancy

Welcome Nancy! I started recently as well and I found Superior So Fine thread from Kenquilt at a good price. I have found that a nice yellow/gold works well on many quilts. Other colors I like are steel blue, orange and aqua.

I hope you have all sorts of quilt tops ready to practice on because once you get that Millie up and running, you will want to be using it! Good luck!

Hey, Palau is in my neck of the woods, but I haven't been there yet. I hear that it is just gorgeous!

Welcome to the forum Nancy and congrates on your new Millie. You will love her;););). I use a lot of bottom line as I also just quilt for me and am still learning. It is a thin thread that doesn't show a lot of mistakes. This forum is fabulous. If you have a question or problem someone will jump right in with an answer. Everyone is very helpful to us newbies:) People from all over the world use this forum and they are very knowledgeable. So don't hesitate to use this wonderful resource.

Archived