ROLLED BATTING STORAGE

I went online searching for shelving and found The Shelving Store..............www.shelvingstore.com . They shipped quickly. You can buy shelves in all sizes as a unit or you can buy the pieces seperately and build your own. I bought mine seperately, but could have just bought the 4 shelf unit. I thought I could get by with 3 shelves, but found I needed that bottom shelf for more stability. You put clips on the legs where you want your shelf , slide on a shelf and just keep going with the last shelf on the very top. Very easy to do. I did it by myself. Would have been easier to have an extra pair of hands to help with getting the first shelf on, but I managed. DH was gone and I didn't want to wait until he got home. :D It's a standing joke now, that it seems every time he goes off on a fishing trip, I have some project done when he gets home. For a while, I was painting rooms, changing things around..........now I am adding quilting toys. :P

Any adjustable wire shelving will work.

I think it would be safe to say the heaviest roll would weight 30# or less. I don't have any trouble lifting it.....more awkward than heavy. Maybe some sites that sell roll batting would give more information. I checked Batt Mart and found a couple - one weighed 12# and the other 30#............

The middle roll I have on is 100" wide, but rolled double, so the unit is only 50" wide. Most rolls over a certain width come rolled double any more.

OK, I just got the details on QD's heaviest rolled batt...let me get hubby to work designing something just for us...maybe even with a flip-down shelf for cutting the batting for each quilt. He has them also have flip down tables that hook on.

He works for the metal wire shelving company...here in the USA. They make the really industrial strength stuff and lighter duty consumer stuff. He'll match the product to the weight/need. That's his job.

Thanks Linda...those measurements helped!

This is so cool. Stay tuned!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Circle Lord

New Jersey

Those chrome shelving units are everywhere in my house! lol! sewing room, dh's hobby room, utility room, garage.... (yes, we have too much JUNK!)

dh and I figured out that with two of the 6-shelf units from Costco, we can get 12' of storage area with four shelves in each 4' section.

We space the units out 4' apart and stagger shelves over the space.

One of my fav haunts is the mission bargain store, and I told the manager there about how to space the units, now he has them set that way all over the store.

Before I got my Milli I needed to organize a huge stash:o I went to Lowes and got several of these shelving units. Turns out they exactly fit 14 stacks of folded fabric on each shelf, ( like a fat quarter folded in half, half again, and then once lenghwise?) SO I was able to reduce several closets, chests, bins, and under bed storage to just a few wonderful, shiny, airy units. They are very friendly when I'm trying to find something. I really like your idea for the batting, will perhaps need "another!"

Regarding weight, my husband said they were rated for enough pounds per shelf, even I couldn't overload them with fabric or books:P But watch out for your house's floors ....

I think I am safe with the weight on the floor. Mine is in the finished basement with cement floor under the carpet. I'm already thinking I might need more shelves though to store backing fabric and other things I don't need to store in my sewing room. It never ends.............Yeahhhhh :P:P:P:P:P

Hi.

My DH is getting a price. The heaviest weight batt is QD supreme and is about 36 puonds for a roll.

Stability is important says my shelving expert. You must have a "shelf" for supporting the poles and stabilizing the whole thing on both the bottom and the top. I am seeing what he can do about a cutting surface of some type. the castors they have are very heavy duty and way too expensive for us.

His shelves are available in chrome color and colors, but they get costly too. I told him to get the type to hold this weight in chrome color.

I'll keep you posted.

Lisa

How about this. I have two racks, so could I separate the two rack and hang my batting between the two racks by attaching the velcro to the racks. I could also add a couple of shelves. Is there a flaw to this idea?

Pat in steamy GA

Sounds like it would work to me ! You might need to lay a small board or ?? between the racts to have something to hook your velcro loops on. OR make your poles long enough to extend into the 2 racks far enough so you can loop the velcro over the wire selves. Make sense??? Also depends on what you have on the racks.......would there be enough weight to keep the racks from tipping in to each other from the weight of the batting hanging between them? Maybe fasten the racks to the wall ????

Archived