Please help with quilting ideas-NOW W/FINISHED PICS

I got burnt out on the last "sampler" quilt I just took off the frame less than a week ago and am not coming up with any great ideas for this quilt. Any help would be much appreciated as the customer said "do whatever except don't sew over the applique". I had thought about doing the same design in the "setting" blocks (those blocks that are the same throughout) with my quiltazoid, but for the rest???? The blocks measure 13 1/2 to 14". The top and backer is all batiks. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

I don't think I can ever take a picture outside that it's not windy and they say this part of the country isn't good for windmills. Go figure.

post--13461904555982_thumb.jpg

very pretty. i love the way she set these blocks! I like the idea of using the qz for a design in the setting blocks. I think in the pieced sampler blocks I would do a combination of cc and stipple and keep them simple. For the applique I would outline and stipple behind them.

Do something fun in the border though...like repeat the design you use in the setting blocks...in small scale and mix stippling in with it to tie everything together. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I delivered the quilt yesterday to the owner. She told me she had just lost her baby that morning (her kitty of 18 years) and was not doing well. Turns out the quilt I was taking her was the one she had worked on the applique blocks in the hospital before her husband had died, too. So this was hopefully going to help her get through the day by having her quilt back.

As for the quilting, I used the largest Quiltazoid feathered wreath (Template 1: Feathers and Such) so I tried to keep most of the rest of the quilting "larger", therefore I did not do any quilting inside the 1 inch sashings. Thanks for all your ideas and I love it when it all comes together. Here it comes...I have a confession, I thought I had a 3.5 needle loaded, but it turns I had a 4.0. After I switched about halfway through, the pokies on the back were considerably less on this batik. Lucky for me, the customer already knew batiks could cause problems when quilting and I told her this was my first batik to quilt. It's all such a learning experience, and I'm happy that I have such a pool of knowledge and expertise on this quilt forum to help me get through it!:) Oh, and chocolate, too.:D

post--13461904580839_thumb.jpg

Cindy,

Thanks for posting the detailed pictures, both front and back. Was you cc'ing freehand or aided with a circluar template? It looks so even. The entire quilt turned out really lovely.

I'm sure that you did bring a sense of comfort to the owner by returning it at such a hard time in her life.

Lynn

LYNN, that quilt was a bright beauty before you quilted it out but you gave it life. I think of a quilt top as being like sleeping beauty. Just beautiful. But when it is quilted it is like sleeping beauty after the prince gives her a kiss - she just comes to life. Beautiful quilting. Come to think of it, I'll bet you could use Deloa's boomerang for continuous curves. Hmmmm, I will give that a try.

Archived