Mexican Stars in Instanbul Quilt Finished

I got permission from the designer of the Mexican Stars pattern to show this quilt. Just off the machine, out of the washer, drying as we speak. Needs piping and binding. thought I'd share.

Interesting that quilt designs are the property of the designer for their lifetime plus 70 years, then they become the public domain.

It took me between 6-8 weeks to quilt, used Linda Rech's rulers---love em.

I'll put up 5 pics, Enjoy. this will be a fun quilt to show.

I got a blue ribbon on another quilt at the MN State Fair this week. It will be a Innovations soon. How fun to challenge yourself with new things.

post--13461904624344_thumb.jpg

wow, that is alot of quilting and so intricate. You surely do have control of that machine. You said finally, why is that? Is it from lots of practice paying off or did you get new wheels or the bliss or what is the secret, inquiring minds want to know. Lovely quilt any more details like what threads and batting did you use and what size the quilt is and do you have a picture of the whole quilt. Love the quilt and the quiting. Yes I am sure it feels really, really good!!

no Bliss

no M&M, no edgerider

used Hobbs 80/20,Metro Embroidery thread for the designs, Bottom line for all the crosshatching, stippling, pumpkin seeds. The center of the Mexican Stars had Sulky thread, around the center, used King Tut.

You guys are the best! PPP and challenge yourself with freehand stuff. those Ebay quilts I got in the beginning really helped because I didn't have all that expensive fabric at risk, just some tops others didn't want for pretty cheap. Class with Karen McTavish when I had the machine for 1 month was great...I didn't know a thing! She is fabulous.

When making the quilt, I ran out of the background batik and actually found more yardage...IMAGINE IT?

I also ran out of the darker batik, pieced some of the strips and the borders is a batik that is not the same, but had the same color values. I tend to kind of quilt as I go and end up with a quilt that uses the fabric I have. Weird, I know.

Archived