Silly Question - what makes M&Ms so special?

Okay - I'm out of touch. Keep hearing about the M&M wheels but given the price tag I really need to know what makes them so different than the black wheels or the edgeriders? Have to make a wheel decision soon so any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I did watch the UTube video but Myrna was working without the SR which I don't do very often so how big of a difference is it? I'd be using the SR.

Thanks - appreciate all your help.

BTW - love love love peanut M&Ms

Kathy,

I have the edgeriders but, I'm thinking of replacing them

with the M&M. Those suckers are suppose to be a dream

to quilt with. I get to try these out next month.

If I was in your shoes, I would get the M&M. Just my humble

opinion. There is a thread about the M&M wheels. Couldn't find it quick enough.

Good luck with the decision.

Kathy - I don't know the 'why' -- I just know that I just installed edgeriders before the M&Ms came out. When I tried the M&M wheels at Lynda's studio, I decided to replace the edgeriders. I'd go straight to the M&Ms if I were you, otherwise, I know where you can get a heck of a deal on a set of slightly used edgeriders for your Liberty!!

I can't tell you "WHY" they work smoother, I can just tell they DO!! Back tracking has never been to easy to do. I can even move on a diangonal without a ruler. I just love, love. love them. Well worth the $$. They just feel like slicing through soft butter. I never had any real complaints about my old wheels but I realize now that I just didn't know what I didn't know.

My recommendation, go for it, your won't be sorry.

Thanks ManQuilter. You so make me laugh. You should be wearing a cape with that pose. Checked out the video and now that I know the why I can justify the spend. Only other question I have is do you still need to adjust the 'cams' as with the other wheels. I expect you do. That always wigs me out as I cannot get them right. But, I'll take the plunge anyway.

And thanks everyone - appreciate all your responses. Even the silly ones :P

Originally posted by Melanie Rouse

I think it's the fact that the chocolate melts in your mouth, not in your hands. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Now THOSE M & Ms are in my budget ! Maybe even a few bags of them.......:D

Ahhhh...........maybe next year for the M & M wheels. Suppose the price will go down??? Sure thing !

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my M&M wheels!!! My understanding is there are 2 bearings instead of one on the other wheels. I think it is the best purchase I've made since I got my machine. Well worth the $240. I couldn't justify the whole Bliss system at $3000 an upgrade so I just got the wheels. One reason they are more expensive than the edgeriders is because you have to purchase 8 wheels instead of 4. (At least that is my impression) Anyway, I'm really glad that I bought them. I would love to have the whole Bliss system but can't afford it. I wish it wasn't so expensive. I'd gladly pay half that for the upgrade. I'm hoping they will come down in price. (Probably wishful thinking)

Hi Everyone,

Several of you have asked about the M&M wheels for the Lenni. Unfortunately, one of the big reasons why they work so well with the horizontally set rails is the same reason they don't work on the vertical wheel systems.

The inner curvature of the M&M wheel is more gradually sloping, providing more flexibility with where the wheel rides on the rail of the table or carriage. The "sweet spot" is greater, so to speak.

However, that same shallow curve will not give a smooth ride on a vertical rail, because the wheel's curve would cause it to slide around too much and the machine will bind on the rails. Imagine a railroad car and train track. The rail car wheel must cup over the train track with very little "slop" otherwise the rail car would whip around and fishtail all over the place. Hope that explains why the M&M wheels aren't an option for the Lenni vertical rails.

We haven't forgotten about Lenni owners, and we continually look for ways to keep the Lenni an economical option for quilters while offering upgrades to individuals who are ready for more. Lots of you shared great ideas in our recent customer survey, and we're working on implementing what we can to make your great APQS machine even better!

I have had to remove the machine to attach the wheels before - but it really isn't that bad. Honest. Just have someone there for moral support and you'll do fine. Also, service can walk you through how to take your machine off - they've walked me through it before when my head had to go back for service (yep, my head too :D

Thanks Dawn for the explanation of why M&M wheels don't or can't work on the Lenni

And thanks for the encouragement that APQS is working towards doing what they can to make our machines better. Hey, If we can't have M&M's we will Settle for SKITTLES!!! After all they are more colorful anyway!!

Archived